Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
2104Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1697Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
972CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
934Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
845OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
837Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
772Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
724Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8302Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5069CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4352Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3851SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3611Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3263Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3192Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3066For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe

Latest Wall Messages
Publish answered prayers, novenas chaplets
MOTHER OF SURPRISES S...
Yesterday By: dbrennis
Baseball fans
Pax Christi! Nauman. ...
Yesterday By: svid2
Let us Read the Bible and Encounter Christ!
Dear everyone, Our ...
Yesterday By: Amiciel
The Occult
Please pray for me. I ...
Yesterday By: ChibiViolet
Our Lady of Lourdes
A young man named Aar...
Yesterday By: tammany
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Prayers continuing for...
Yesterday By: Amiciel
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
[FONT=Arial][B][URL="h...
Yesterday By: The Reginator
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Eternal Father, I offe...
Yesterday By: Avila123
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
SITTING IN THE PRESENC...
Yesterday By: Marla Frances
sci fi lovers unite with catholicism!!!!!
thestudentAD, you migh...
Yesterday By: 3DOCTORS

Social Network Stats
466,444Members
762,738Topics
12,411,978Posts
1195Groups
10686Photos
216133Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

First Friday + First Saturday Devotion

Visit the forum of this group.
Group created by healonzo

This group is for all those who understand the power and need of the triumph of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary. This group is for witnessing and spreading the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Showing 3 of 3 Picture(s)
"Nowhere does Jesus hear our prayers more readily than in the Blessed Sacrament"    ~Blessed Henry Suson
From Clare G
Sacred Heart of Jesus
From healonzo
Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
From spesnostra

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 71 to 80 of 116
  1. healonzo
    Dec 1, '11 10:54 am
    healonzo
    Hi stanthony,

I know we don't have a Saturday morning mass usually because we have 3 parishes in our parish unit, which is a lot. I'm not sure if it is common, but I think they might have early morning masses on Saturday at some parishes.

@Mary Virginia, I like the alliance of the two hearts too!

Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us.
    Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us.
  2. 77stanthony77
    Nov 30, '11 12:54 pm
    77stanthony77
    I know I am going to mass on the first FRiday. AS big as houston is I don't know of any catholic church that has a mass during the day on Saturday, the churches I go only have evening/ afternoon mass for saturday! Is this the same everywhere
  3. Mary Virginia
    Nov 26, '11 5:11 pm
    Mary Virginia
    healonzo=I like that-the alliance of the two hearts!
  4. healonzo
    Nov 23, '11 7:05 pm
    healonzo
    Hi Mary Virginia,

I'm glad you asked. The First Friday devotion is devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. You are correct.
    Here is a link for information about the obligations and the history of the devotion.

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/heart/meditation.htm

The First Saturday Devotion is devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Here is a link for the obligations and history of the devotion.

http://www.nd.edu/~mary/classic/firstsat.html

Usually in my area they have a communion vigil in which we pray, have reconciliation, Mass, and Eucharistic Adoration on Friday night into Saturday morning. For more information about the vigils, here is a link.

http://www.ath-stl.org/events.html

spesnostra & God'sHolyWill both posted prayers earlier that are said usually in consecrating yourself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and
    Immaculate Heart of Mary.
    MariaChristi also posted
    "I am currently involved in the Legion of Mary and have a series of threads in the Spirituality Forum of CAF on Consecration to Jesus through Mary, by means of St. Louis De Montfort's 33 Day Preparation for, and praying of, The Act of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary"

The devotions are usually done on the First Friday (9 consecutive months) & First Saturday (5 consecutive months).
    I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope that if any of you in the group want to start the vigil at your parishes that you work to do it. It is wonderful and very spiritually uplifting. It is usually called the Alliance of the Two Hearts.
  5. Mary Virginia
    Nov 23, '11 5:33 pm
    Mary Virginia
    Beautiful idea for a group Helonzo and thanks for the invite!
    But I'm fairly new Catholic so could you explain who we are honoring on the first Friday? (Jesus?) & the first Sat. of the months? I've heard about this and also are there any special prayers? How do you do this...?

Blessings M
  6. healonzo
    Nov 23, '11 10:55 am
    healonzo
    November 23
    "What is the precise meaning of Eucharistic contemplation? In itself, it is really the ability or better, the gift, of establishing a heart-to-heart contact with Jesus really present in the Host and, through Him, of raising oneself to the Father in the Holy Spirit. All of this is done, as far as possible, in a state of outer and inner silence. Silence is the dearest spouse of contemplation; it protects it, as Joseph protected Mary. To contemplate is to intuitively fix the mind on the divine realty (this could be God himself, or one of His attributes, or a mystery in Christ's life) and relish His presence. In meditation the search for truth prevails while, in contemplation, delight in the found truth prevails.
    Great spiritual matters have given us definitions of contemplation: "A free, penetrating and still gaze" (Hugh of S. Victor), or "A loving look at God" (St. Bonaventure). In the parish of Ars there was once a peasant who used to pass hours in church, immobile, looking at the tabernacle, and when the Saint Curate of Ars asked what he was doing there every day like that, he replied: "Nothing, I look at him and he looks at me!" This tells us that Christian contemplation is never a one-way gaze and neither is it directed at the "Nothing" (as in certain Oriental religions, in particular Buddhism). It is always the meeting of two looks; our look at God and God's look at us. If, at times, our gaze weakens, God's never does. Sometimes Eucharistic contemplation just means keeping Jesus company, being there under His gaze, giving Him the joy of contemplating us, too. Although we are but useless creatures and sinners, we are still the fruit of His passion for whom He gave His life."
    Fr Raniero Cantalamessa
    (The Eucharist: Our Sanctification)
  7. healonzo
    Nov 23, '11 10:54 am
    healonzo
    Welcome to all who have joined the group recently.

I have been busy, but this week should slow down a bit.
    @spesnostra thank you for your prayers.
    @Christine I hope the the First Saturday and First Friday devotion are fruitful for you.
    @77stanthony77 Thank you for your dear prayers friend.
    @MariaChristi I haven't been able to keep up, but I will do my best and definitely consecrate myself again in December. Thank you.
    @God's Holy Will Thank you for your wisdom and the books about the Eucharist. I will check into them.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone.
    Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us!
    Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us!
  8. spesnostra
    Nov 23, '11 6:19 am
    spesnostra
    Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, may the whole world burn with love for you!
    Most Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
  9. Christine85
    Nov 20, '11 9:46 pm
    Christine85
    I have recently found out that there is a Church that has devotion to the First Saturday and First Friday - They offer Reconciliation etc. YAY!!!
  10. 77stanthony77
    Nov 20, '11 6:09 am
    77stanthony77
    I have found the 33 day preparation to be very comforting, MariaChristi. Thank you for your encouragement!