Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1984Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
911CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
811OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
806Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
757Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
710Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8049Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: KayleighPigg
4829CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4295Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3813SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3377Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3150Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2963For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: 4Jessie
2703Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child

Latest Wall Messages
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
"O give thanks to the ...
Today By: grateful_child
Meet and talk,talk talk
Hi guys, i just joined...
Today By: KayleighPigg
Catholic Bible Group
What did you mean abou...
Today By: eschator83
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
One day, three Men wen...
Today By: phillip94
For seniors and shut- ins
Wonderful "after Easte...
Today By: 4Jessie
Our Lady of Lourdes
Dear Georget, Thank-Y...
Today By: libralion
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
@mountee: Happy belate...
Today By: Vim71
Saint Damien Of Molokai
Hi Guys, Wow,[B] Ange...
Today By: libralion
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
O Eternal Father, I of...
Today By: Avila123
SOLITUDE
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy...
Today By: Prairie Rose

Social Network Stats
452,829Members
740,154Topics
12,056,408Posts
1187Groups
10486Photos
211548Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

RCIA AND CONVERTS

Visit the forum of this group.
Group created by beth40n2

For people interested in joining the Catholic Church, for anyone with questions about the faith, and for converts to share what they have gone through in their conversion process. Everyone is welcome.

Showing 1 of 1 Picture(s)
jesusworthit
From beth40n2

Group Activity in Group Forum
Activity in forum
Visit the forum of this group.
  1. eschator83
    Yesterday 10:50 am
    eschator83
    I hope to encourage members to post summaries of the events of their conversion while they are still fresh in mind to encourage others both to consider their own beliefs and to become more active in evangelization. I think each of us is truly unique, and each reponds in separate ways to the different aspects of evangelization.
    It is my intent to post my own story--I must admit I've been trying to figure out how to express it for years. I hope others (and me too) will also comment on previously published stories, like Scott Hahn (I had his book Rome, Sweet Home--but apparently gave/lent it to someone), or CS Lewis, GK Chesterton, St John Newman, or many others. God bless you.
  2. eschator83
    Apr 5, '14 9:22 am
    eschator83
    It may be helpful to add to the previous comments that many parishes, perhaps even most, will welcome into ongoing RCIA programs baptized Christians, Catholic or other, especially if they have actively been attending Church, as late as early into the new year. This is at the discretion of the RCIA team and pastor; it may depend largely on the number of new candidates.
    If you missed the RCIA startup sat your neighboring parishes ( they probably have varying start-up dates), ask anyway if you can start late.
    Many Diocese have several, separate programs for baptized but not previously confirmed Catholics, but some encourage RCIA for Catholics who have had little catechism.
  3. GraceAnne3
    Mar 27, '14 4:05 pm
    GraceAnne3
    Thanks for sharing the catechism, Beth.
    I agree, the leaders pushing the healthcare act are pushing scandal. When people are forced to go against their morals so the government can implement a national program, then that is scandal. Essentially those promoting this required healthcare plan are forcing others to live in sin. i.e. supporting abortion
    Thread: scandal
  4. GraceAnne3
    Mar 27, '14 3:35 pm
    GraceAnne3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beth40n2 View Post
    God parents are needed when you are baptized as a child in case something happens to your parents, the God parents will raise you. For entering the church it is suggested to have one sponsor to help you with your faith, but a couple sounds great!
    My cradle Catholic friend told me God parents do not step in to raise the child in the parent's absence, but instead they are there to come alongside the parents (biological or adoptive) and be a spiritual guide in the child's life. She was clear that a written will regarding the child's care upon the parent's unexpected demise is totally separate. But she did say she's made sure the parent's of her God Children understand that before accepting the responsibility.
    Thread: God Parents?
  5. SecretaryMonday
    Mar 19, '14 9:42 am
    SecretaryMonday
    Hugs, athalia.

I can tell you what I've been told; "I'm proud of you for having the courage to experience your feelings!" Sometimes its easier for me to just suppress stuff because it seems too bad for me to be thinking or feeling, but this is a real issue and it comes with real feelings. Being angry doesn't mean that I'm going to blame people for something they didn't mean to do (I know that I was raised with very loving parents and teachers who were doing their best to give me the truth). You can forgive others, especially when something wasn't really their fault to begin with, but be very patient with yourself if the feelings linger. It can be normal to have some anger about stuff like this.
  6. firead
    Mar 18, '14 9:12 am
    firead
    Definitely check with your priest as soon as possible, but you will probably need to baptized with the Triune formula ("Father, Son, & Holy Spirit). I know this was true of one personin my parish who had been baptized as a Oneness Pentecostal.
  7. eschator83
    Jan 8, '14 4:53 pm
    eschator83
    On one hand, each of us has such different interests that its very hard to make a useful universal recommendation for reading--and most often I've heard the suggestion that you ask for guidance from your RCIA team members, who know a bit about you as well as the material you have been discussing in RCIA.
    On the other hand, I think every serious Catholic and inquirer should have:
    -Catechism
    -a good concordance--I recommend the New World NAB Dictionary-Concordance
    -lives of the Saints in liturgical Calendar-I think Butler is best but also most expensive, John Delany is very reverential
    -biographies of your patron Saint and one or two others of interest
    -a good book about prayer
    -history of Church--I suggest Eusebius, also Richard O'Brien Lives of the Popes (even though he is absurdly critical of hierarchy)
    We will keep you in our prayers.
    Thread: Reading Lists?
  8. SeekerB1965
    Dec 24, '13 8:45 am
    SeekerB1965
    I share some of the concerns mentioned above. One of my struggles in life, in general, is perfectionism. I try to follow the rules, and I'm pretty hard on myself when I fail.

The religious solution I have tried, finding a religion (or denomination) that is loose on rules, has not been very satisfying.

I am the last person on earth to throw stones at anyone. I know what suffering is, and I know the suffering caused by sin, so I have a lot of compassion for those who suffer (and life is suffering). Maybe the answer for me is humility, faith, and forgiveness...in prayer for myself and others. But to have any of that, I have to understand what the rules are, and there is some clarity in that in Catholicism (I'm finding so far, at least).

Although some of the theological and philosophical reasoning is incomprehensible to me.

I have not enrolled in RCIA, but I'm thinking of doing so.

Peace and grace,
    SeekerB
    Thread: concerns
  9. IneedGod
    Mar 29, '13 9:10 am
    IneedGod
    I wanted to congratulate everyone again, houseofsaul, beth40n2' paligan
    All of you!
    I am thankful to have found CAF and to go through this journey with you!
    God bless. :
    Thread: Tomorrow
  10. IneedGod
    Mar 14, '13 11:05 pm
    IneedGod
    Holy Saturday is coming up real fast,
    Congratulations to my fellow RCIA of 2012-2013
    Thread: Holy Saturday

Group Wall Messages 151 to 160 of 314
  1. beth40n2
    May 3, '12 4:07 am
    beth40n2
    Congrats Suzeq!
  2. maltmom
    May 2, '12 6:29 pm
    maltmom
    Thank wonderful Suezq. I'm so happy for you and your husband. God Bless!
  3. suezq123
    May 2, '12 6:11 pm
    suezq123
    Hello all! Last Sunday my husband and I got confirmed and had our marriage blessed. It was such an emotional but wonderful event. I am so excited to become a part of the church. We were supposed to be confirmed at the Easter vigil but the priest was confused about our situation and thought we had to have a special dispensation but we didn't .
  4. maltmom
    May 2, '12 3:29 pm
    maltmom
    I would never have thought of that Beth. I didn't know we could do that. I'm so excited to learn something new everyday.
  5. beth40n2
    May 1, '12 7:09 pm
    beth40n2
    That is right, finish your roasary with ever you can. Although if I am praying a rosary before going to sleep at night, I do ask my guardian angel to finish it for me if I fall asleep.
  6. maltmom
    Apr 30, '12 5:17 pm
    maltmom
    Thank you so much, that was kind of you to post this for me.
  7. Neofight
    Apr 30, '12 1:01 pm
    Neofight
    Here's a cite, Maltmom.
    www.prayerfulrosary.com/Franciscan.html

It consists of 7 decades, instead of 5, so in that aspect its a little longer. However, its easier to learn than the Dominican Rosary, because you simply:

Start with the Sign of the Cross
    Each Large Bead introduces on of the Joyful Mysteries of the Blessed Virgin:
    The Annuciation
    The Visitation
    The Nativity
    The Adoration of the Magi
    The Finding of the Child at the Temple
    Jesus shows his wounds to his mother following the resurrection
    The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, and her Crowning as Queen of Heaven and Earth

Two additional Hail Marys to bring total to 72 (in honor of the years of her life on earth)

One Our Father, and One Hail Mary for the intentions of the Holy Father.

You may, but don't have to, say the Glory Be and the Fatima Prayer between decades.

There is no required opening or closing.

Leave off any time you feel distracted, or pre-occupied, and pick up later. You should never feel as though you must complete an entire rosary (Dominican or Franciscan) in one setting.

I find it difficult in meditating during actual reciting of the Hail Marys (I guess I'm not a multitasker). I enter contemplative prayer on each mystery before each decade, and later in the day dwell in contemplation again on the mysteries.

Enjoy it.
  8. maltmom
    Apr 30, '12 12:24 pm
    maltmom
    Thank you Neofight, I'll look it up.
  9. Neofight
    Apr 30, '12 12:11 pm
    Neofight
    Maltmom, you might enjoy the simplicity of the Franciscan Crown Rosary...its easy and beautiful.
  10. maltmom
    Apr 29, '12 5:57 pm
    maltmom
    Welcome Casey!!! This is a great group. We will pray for you and with you. We're here for support and will answer your questions as best we can. Pull up a chair and join in.