Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
2071Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1683Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
962CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
934Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
836OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
830Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
768Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
720Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8256Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: KEPardue
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3833SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3568Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3227Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3124Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany

Latest Wall Messages
Let us Read the Bible and Encounter Christ!
Hello, all. We can no...
Today By: Amiciel
The Fasting Group
Pax Christi! Pope Clem...
Today By: svid2
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Was the muffin big or ...
Today By: TARRAT
Poems and Reflections
A Martyr's Crown Cl...
Today By: tonyg
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Praying for all the vi...
Today By: grateful_child
Meet and talk,talk talk
I will be teaching RCI...
Today By: KEPardue
Publish answered prayers, novenas chaplets
MOTHER OF SURPRISES S...
Today By: pallavideb
Prayer intentions
I pray for you KayVee ...
Today By: janiejnb
Let's empty Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: RJB
SOLITUDE
[COLOR="Green"][B][FON...
Yesterday By: tuscany

Social Network Stats
463,295Members
757,764Topics
12,332,735Posts
1194Groups
10660Photos
215199Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

RCIA AND CONVERTS

Visit the forum of this group.
Group created by beth40n2

For people interested in joining the Catholic Church, for anyone with questions about the faith, and for converts to share what they have gone through in their conversion process. Everyone is welcome.

Showing 1 of 1 Picture(s)
jesusworthit
From beth40n2

Group Activity in Group Forum
Activity in forum
Visit the forum of this group.
  1. Song Sparrow
    Jul 16, '14 12:35 pm
    Song Sparrow
    Hi. Once more, I am thinking about joining RCIA this year. I could probably use prayers from anyone who likes to pray for people like me. Could be partly laziness that's been keeping me from taking this step in previous years. I've lately come to this realization. And fear. and?
  2. eschator83
    May 6, '14 5:44 pm
    eschator83
    Timothy Drake's book, There We Stood, Here We Stand, consists of eleven personal stories of conversions by Lutherans to Catholicism, including Tim's own story. These are emotional, deeply-moving stories of people seeking Communion and Truth of God. Strongly recommended.
  3. Kimley
    May 2, '14 8:48 am
    Kimley
    I have been a Pentecostal Christian all my life; my husband and I coverted this vigil. There are so many prayers, devotions, books on prayers and devotions...help!! Of course, from my background, prayer was spontaneous from the heart. Where should I begin as a new Catholic?
    Thread: Prayer Life
  4. eschator83
    Apr 5, '14 9:22 am
    eschator83
    It may be helpful to add to the previous comments that many parishes, perhaps even most, will welcome into ongoing RCIA programs baptized Christians, Catholic or other, especially if they have actively been attending Church, as late as early into the new year. This is at the discretion of the RCIA team and pastor; it may depend largely on the number of new candidates.
    If you missed the RCIA startup sat your neighboring parishes ( they probably have varying start-up dates), ask anyway if you can start late.
    Many Diocese have several, separate programs for baptized but not previously confirmed Catholics, but some encourage RCIA for Catholics who have had little catechism.
  5. GraceAnne3
    Mar 27, '14 4:05 pm
    GraceAnne3
    Thanks for sharing the catechism, Beth.
    I agree, the leaders pushing the healthcare act are pushing scandal. When people are forced to go against their morals so the government can implement a national program, then that is scandal. Essentially those promoting this required healthcare plan are forcing others to live in sin. i.e. supporting abortion
    Thread: scandal
  6. GraceAnne3
    Mar 27, '14 3:35 pm
    GraceAnne3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beth40n2 View Post
    God parents are needed when you are baptized as a child in case something happens to your parents, the God parents will raise you. For entering the church it is suggested to have one sponsor to help you with your faith, but a couple sounds great!
    My cradle Catholic friend told me God parents do not step in to raise the child in the parent's absence, but instead they are there to come alongside the parents (biological or adoptive) and be a spiritual guide in the child's life. She was clear that a written will regarding the child's care upon the parent's unexpected demise is totally separate. But she did say she's made sure the parent's of her God Children understand that before accepting the responsibility.
    Thread: God Parents?
  7. SecretaryMonday
    Mar 19, '14 9:42 am
    SecretaryMonday
    Hugs, athalia.

I can tell you what I've been told; "I'm proud of you for having the courage to experience your feelings!" Sometimes its easier for me to just suppress stuff because it seems too bad for me to be thinking or feeling, but this is a real issue and it comes with real feelings. Being angry doesn't mean that I'm going to blame people for something they didn't mean to do (I know that I was raised with very loving parents and teachers who were doing their best to give me the truth). You can forgive others, especially when something wasn't really their fault to begin with, but be very patient with yourself if the feelings linger. It can be normal to have some anger about stuff like this.
  8. firead
    Mar 18, '14 9:12 am
    firead
    Definitely check with your priest as soon as possible, but you will probably need to baptized with the Triune formula ("Father, Son, & Holy Spirit). I know this was true of one personin my parish who had been baptized as a Oneness Pentecostal.
  9. eschator83
    Jan 8, '14 4:53 pm
    eschator83
    On one hand, each of us has such different interests that its very hard to make a useful universal recommendation for reading--and most often I've heard the suggestion that you ask for guidance from your RCIA team members, who know a bit about you as well as the material you have been discussing in RCIA.
    On the other hand, I think every serious Catholic and inquirer should have:
    -Catechism
    -a good concordance--I recommend the New World NAB Dictionary-Concordance
    -lives of the Saints in liturgical Calendar-I think Butler is best but also most expensive, John Delany is very reverential
    -biographies of your patron Saint and one or two others of interest
    -a good book about prayer
    -history of Church--I suggest Eusebius, also Richard O'Brien Lives of the Popes (even though he is absurdly critical of hierarchy)
    We will keep you in our prayers.
    Thread: Reading Lists?
  10. SeekerB1965
    Dec 24, '13 8:45 am
    SeekerB1965
    I share some of the concerns mentioned above. One of my struggles in life, in general, is perfectionism. I try to follow the rules, and I'm pretty hard on myself when I fail.

The religious solution I have tried, finding a religion (or denomination) that is loose on rules, has not been very satisfying.

I am the last person on earth to throw stones at anyone. I know what suffering is, and I know the suffering caused by sin, so I have a lot of compassion for those who suffer (and life is suffering). Maybe the answer for me is humility, faith, and forgiveness...in prayer for myself and others. But to have any of that, I have to understand what the rules are, and there is some clarity in that in Catholicism (I'm finding so far, at least).

Although some of the theological and philosophical reasoning is incomprehensible to me.

I have not enrolled in RCIA, but I'm thinking of doing so.

Peace and grace,
    SeekerB
    Thread: concerns

Group Wall Messages 171 to 180 of 318
  1. newandimproved
    Apr 26, '12 9:46 pm
    newandimproved
    Hi Guys,

I am exploring becoming catholic and trying to learn. That being said, WOW is there ever a lot to learn. I have been searching for that missing something in my life for years now, and am feeling good about the direction I am going, Everything else just felt so meaningless.
  2. beth40n2
    Apr 26, '12 3:32 am
    beth40n2
    BLP Those books are excellent. I checked those out of my friends church library when I was converting, they were great. I never had time to read the alll the way through, but I just looked up what the church fathers said on certain subjects I was haveing to hurdle at that time, very helpful.
  3. BLP
    Apr 25, '12 3:42 pm
    BLP
    I recommend the 3 volume set of books called The Fathers of Our Early Church" by William Jurgens. I always felt like I had to go as far back in history as I could in my research. It's very interesting to see what those who were there in the beginning believed and taught.
  4. Neofight
    Apr 24, '12 7:57 pm
    Neofight
    Anyone studying any scripture of interest?
  5. maltmom
    Apr 24, '12 7:14 pm
    maltmom
    awwww you are so sweet.
  6. beth40n2
    Apr 24, '12 7:00 pm
    beth40n2
    Thank you all, for all of your encouragement. If I was not catholic you would make me want to be.lol
  7. Song Sparrow
    Apr 24, '12 12:21 pm
    Song Sparrow
    Thank you maltmom, beth40n2, BLP, raymurr for your advice and encouragement, and testimony. Sorry if I missed anyone!
  8. maltmom
    Apr 23, '12 7:22 pm
    maltmom
    raymurr, I understand what you are saying. By the time I was ready to tell everyone I was able to defend my faith. I was able to remind them of things we were taught and then tell them the truth. My best friend has been very supportive the past couple of weeks. It wasn't all warm and fuzzy Saturday when for the 1st time in her life she realized that we believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. It amazes me how as protestants we didn't have any problems believing in the Trinity, that Jesus turned water into wine and that on the 3rd day He rose again from the dead...but boy throw in the real presence and it hits the fan.
  9. raymurr
    Apr 23, '12 7:04 pm
    raymurr
    @maltmom: Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to see if I can find it for our Kindle.

@beth: I agree about studying on your own. I did a lot of stuying and reading on my own. It's amazing to see how much we were drilled with about the Catholic Church that simply wasn't true. I was shocked the first time I went to a Mass (Mid-night Mass 2010) when they didn't worship Mary. It made it easier to find our what wasn't true when I allowed myself to accept the reality that Protestantism simply removed and/or twisted the teachings of the original Church. I placed myself in a position of only having bits and pieces of true Christianity. It feels amazing to have a completed and growing faith!
  10. maltmom
    Apr 23, '12 5:45 pm
    maltmom
    Thank you Beth and I agree with you about private study. There's so much to learn. At one point I actually was in information overload. I was doing too much, too fast.

@raymurr I think you'll really enjoy Jesus...the Jewish Roots to the Eucharist. Even thought I already believed in the real presence by the time I read it, I still had a number of WOW moments.