Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
2124Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1707Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
982CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
934Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
851OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
846Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
778Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
728Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8333Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: suko
5083CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4393Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4036OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: aellis422
3856SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3650Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3266Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3233Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3217Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: joeben
3080For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Grace3877

Latest Wall Messages
Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
I have been a vegetari...
Today By: joeben
HOLY WOUNDS OF JESUS CHRIST
Holy Wounds of Jesus, ...
Today By: johnthebaptist2
Let me pray for you.
Please pray that the K...
Let's empty Purgatory
[FONT="Times New Roman...
Today By: DesertSister62
Fans of Padre Pio
St Padre Pio,may you I...
Mature Vocations
Speaking of dreams: I...
Today By: mebcb
HOLY NAME OF JESUS
I will pray for you no...
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Our Lady of Lourdes
"Each day is a step we...
Today By: georget
The Militia of the Immaculata

Social Network Stats
468,609Members
766,120Topics
12,461,980Posts
1200Groups
10737Photos
216908Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a moderated group. Social Group

Catholics in the South

Group created by Parce Domine

Does your local phone book list seventy different churches under thirty separate denominations, twenty more missions and sub-denominations, plus a dozen other religious societies and congregations, but only one Catholic parish? Are you often asked, "If you died right now, do you KNOW you'd go to heaven?"

Do people talk about you in restaurants when you cross yourself for the blessing? Do they roll their eyes or snort when they see a crucifix around your neck?

Do people leave pamphlets on your porch because you have a statue of Mary in your yard, or put tracts on your windshield because you have a rosary hanging from your rear-view mirror?

Do your friends, neighbors, and in-laws pretty much agree that you need converting because you're Catholic, not what they consider "saved" and "born-again?"

Do people of more than three denominations, religions, or organizations come to your house to try to explain what it takes to be a REAL Christian? Have you ever been stared at during an "altar call?" At a wedding?

Or do you live in a part of the South where Catholics aren't the minority, like St. Francisville, Louisiana or Ave Maria, Florida?

Please come in and share your stories and experiences: good, bad, frustrating, humorous, or whatever. If you aren't in or from the South, come on in anyway and have a cup of coffee or glass of sweet iced tea. Join in the conversation and get to know what it's like to be a Catholic in the Bible Belt.

Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
Rosary
From Parce Domine
God loves us.
From Parce Domine
6a00d8345206a669e20134854ec368970c 800wi
From DasErlibnis
Armadale shrine 2
From JRPO
quokka
From JRPO

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 1 to 10 of 1500
  1. Parce Domine
    Sep 14, '14 7:13 pm
    Parce Domine
    I recently had a Catholic moment on a social website. A friend posted that fermented wine was a sin, because Jesus used unleavened bread at the Last Supper. After disagreeing with him, I was slammed by a few of his friends, one of whom mentioned that "some people" (being me and me, since I'm apparently plural now) needed to remember the "Baptist oath" or something like that. The implication was that I'm from the South, so I obviously must be Baptist.
    No thank you, sir. I'm still Catholic and grateful for it. Thanks be to God for His Holy Church!
  2. Parce Domine
    Sep 6, '14 7:07 am
    Parce Domine
    Hiya, AggieCatholic! I hope you're having a nice weekend in Texas.
  3. AggieCatholic22
    Sep 5, '14 5:52 am
    AggieCatholic22
    Howdy!
    i dont remember if i have posted on here or not yet...but if i havent...i am a 23 year old Catholic from Texas!=)
  4. Parce Domine
    Aug 1, '14 8:21 am
    Parce Domine
    How is everyone? I haven't heard from any of you in a while, and I hope everyone is well and we're all enjoying some spiritual growth. That doesn't always remain a top priority during the summertime, with kids home from school, vacation time, storms, projects, and of course, the heat. Lots of things distract us, but if we can remember to pray often we can keep from losing ground, even when we're frustrated.
    Peace, y'all!
  5. Parce Domine
    Jul 12, '14 6:42 pm
    Parce Domine
    Check out the moon tonight, and if you stay out, remember your skeeter repellent.
  6. Parce Domine
    Jun 26, '14 7:46 pm
    Parce Domine
    Hi, wumpiesmommy. Welcome to the Church!
    That's so sad about your family not wanting to come to your wedding because it's Catholic. It's a common problem around here, because people only know what they've heard from "reliable" sources about Catholicism. Unfortunately, only non-Catholic sources are considered reliable. Ironic, huh?
    But we wish you the very best, and hope your Catholic wedding is beautiful and solemn and joyous and wonderful! Congratulations! So when is your Sacrament of Holy Matrimony taking place? (You don't have to answer, of course.)
  7. wumpiesmommy
    Jun 23, '14 10:00 pm
    wumpiesmommy
    I'm a convert to Catholicism. I've heard secondhand that most of my family won't see me or come to my wedding bc it's a Catholic wedding. Also people, other Christians, try to argue with me or at best try to convert me lol. I often hear "Don't tell him/her/them you're Catholic," but no one's had the nerve to say anything to my face.
  8. Parce Domine
    Jun 16, '14 7:16 pm
    Parce Domine
    Hey, y'all! I hope everyone is having a blessed summer. It might not be summer officially, but we know summertime in the South starts about the same time June busts out all over, right? At least it doesn't hit triple digits until July or August in most places. Whew! A couple of months of that is enough.

Is anyone planning a pilgrimage during summer vacation? Please share with us! Don't post anything that might compromise your security or anything, but where are you going, what kind of group will you be traveling with (religious, family, or alone), etc.? And tell us all about it when you get back! Also, post photos. Y'all are always welcome to post photos. Just get permission if you post a picture somebody else took.
  9. Parce Domine
    May 8, '14 7:06 pm
    Parce Domine
    How is everyone? It was good to see your post, pippin.
    Y'all sure are a quiet group for a bunch of Southerners.
  10. pippin
    Apr 29, '14 10:54 am
    pippin
    I've been very busy at work lately and haven't been on here. We went to Holy Saturday Vigil Mass. It was beautiful. I find the liturgy very inspiring; it makes me remember why I'm Catholic. Hope everyone had a blessed Easter and Divine Mercy Sunday