Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1978Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
904CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
808OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
805Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
756Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
710Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8026Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: 3DOCTORS
4816CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4286Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3810SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3358Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3183Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2959For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
2679Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel

Latest Wall Messages
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
[COLOR="Navy"][B][U]Te...
Today By: Avila123
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: Mary Virginia
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
[url]http://jceworld.b...
Yesterday By: lsbar
Meet and talk,talk talk
I will pray, Kelly. Ma...
Yesterday By: 3DOCTORS
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
[url]www.savior.org[/u...
Yesterday By: Amiciel
Divine Mercy
Please join me in pray...
Yesterday By: pomegranate
For seniors and shut- ins
I hope everyone has a ...
Yesterday By: Kellyreneeomara
SOLITUDE
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]...
Yesterday By: Prairie Rose
Catholic Bible Group
"Who gave Himself as a...
Yesterday By: GLam8833
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Hi! Y'all:hug3: I w...
Yesterday By: 77stanthony77

Social Network Stats
452,219Members
739,161Topics
12,038,684Posts
1187Groups
10478Photos
211259Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a moderated group. Social Group

Catholics in the South

Group created by Parce Domine

Does your local phone book list seventy different churches under thirty separate denominations, twenty more missions and sub-denominations, plus a dozen other religious societies and congregations, but only one Catholic parish? Are you often asked, "If you died right now, do you KNOW you'd go to heaven?"

Do people talk about you in restaurants when you cross yourself for the blessing? Do they roll their eyes or snort when they see a crucifix around your neck?

Do people leave pamphlets on your porch because you have a statue of Mary in your yard, or put tracts on your windshield because you have a rosary hanging from your rear-view mirror?

Do your friends, neighbors, and in-laws pretty much agree that you need converting because you're Catholic, not what they consider "saved" and "born-again?"

Do people of more than three denominations, religions, or organizations come to your house to try to explain what it takes to be a REAL Christian? Have you ever been stared at during an "altar call?" At a wedding?

Or do you live in a part of the South where Catholics aren't the minority, like St. Francisville, Louisiana or Ave Maria, Florida?

Please come in and share your stories and experiences: good, bad, frustrating, humorous, or whatever. If you aren't in or from the South, come on in anyway and have a cup of coffee or glass of sweet iced tea. Join in the conversation and get to know what it's like to be a Catholic in the Bible Belt.

Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
Rosary
From Parce Domine
God loves us.
From Parce Domine
6a00d8345206a669e20134854ec368970c 800wi
From DasErlibnis
Armadale shrine 2
From JRPO
quokka
From JRPO

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 1 to 10 of 1488
  1. Parce Domine
    Yesterday 7:04 am
    Parce Domine
    I hope everyone had a good Holy Thursday (Maundy Thursday), and that you have a blessed Good Friday.
  2. Parce Domine
    Apr 17, '14 2:02 pm
    Parce Domine
    I've had some trouble signing in here for a while, but I'm back. (The problem was mine, not Catholic Answers'.)
  3. esieffe
    Apr 6, '14 8:44 pm
    esieffe
    I grieve for thee, O Mary most sorrowful, in the affliction of thy tender heart at the prophecy of the holy and aged Simeon. Dear Mother, by thy heart so afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility and the gift of the holy fear of God.
  4. Parce Domine
    Mar 30, '14 6:19 am
    Parce Domine
    Let's all remember one another today at Mass. God bless!
  5. Parce Domine
    Mar 19, '14 7:00 pm
    Parce Domine
    How's everybody's Lent going? Are we seeing the spiritual growth we hoped for?
  6. Parce Domine
    Mar 13, '14 7:31 am
    Parce Domine
    It's still so quiet in the group.
    I heard about that terrible accident at the music fest in Austin, TX, at South by Southwest. It's sad that things like that happen, but it made me think of y'all. If something happened to one of us, would anyone at the scene know to call a priest? Do you wear a tag or medal that says, "Call a priest," have a priest listed in your emergency info on your phone or in your wallet, or have some other way to let people know?
    I wear a four-way crucifix that says it on the back, and I have "Call a priest" with the number right under my blood type on a card in my wallet. My phone has my parish listed different ways to make it easy for someone to call my priest from it. Chances are that few or none of the emergency workers will be Catholic, so I want them to know what to do. I just have to hope and pray that one of them will.
  7. Parce Domine
    Mar 5, '14 2:39 pm
    Parce Domine
    Ash Wednesday is today, and I'm looking forward to hearing from y'all. Did you wear your ashes anywhere? Get strange looks? Anyone point out that you have a smudge or something on your forehead? Best of all, though, there's always the possibility that someone will ask what it's for and what it means. Then they are willing to listen, and we get to tell them.
    Now I've noticed that more and more Protestants are beginning to observe Lent. I don't know just how much they believe, but at least they're acknowledging that it's worth their time. It's a start, and maybe we can use that to help them come home.
  8. Parce Domine
    Feb 20, '14 4:52 pm
    Parce Domine
    Severe weather across the South again. Please remember to pray for those affected. Storm prayers are in a thread right here in our group, so print them out and use them as often as you feel it is necessary. God bless y'all and keep you and your loved ones safe.
  9. prayinghands
    Feb 14, '14 7:55 pm
    prayinghands
    Happy Valentine's Day, to all of my Catholic Friends in the South.

Yes Parce, the weather in the South has really been different this winter.

Sorry for not checking in lately. I've had a few health issues. Full recovery, thanks be to God. Without the Blessed Mother interceding, The flu may have gotten the best of me.

Hope everyone is well, and most of all warm.
  10. Parce Domine
    Feb 13, '14 10:51 pm
    Parce Domine
    I'm seeing things about "vday," "<3day," and usually just "Valentine's Day." Seems the secular world is working to separate the saint(s) from the feastday. What's next, Paddy's Day? It's up to us to keep the "Saint" in Saint Valentine's Day. I hope y'all have a sweet and blessed one.

Here's the link to the Catholic Encyclopedia article on this site: http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?ti...ntine%2C_Saint