Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
2125Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1707Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
983CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
934Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
851OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
846Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
778Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
728Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8337Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Weejee
5083CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4395Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4036OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: aellis422
3857SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3650Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3266Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3234Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3080For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Grace3877

Latest Wall Messages
Baseball fans
The Twins are awesome!...
Today By: robertmidwest
Meet and talk,talk talk
Gift of the day: I we...
Today By: Weejee
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
:byzsoc::gopray2::gopr...
Today By: FootStool
Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Welcome joeben!!
Today By: memphian
BE NOT AFRAID -- Catholics Living With Anxiety Dis...
Hi Twentysix- I'm gues...
Today By: Mary Virginia
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: Mary Virginia
SOLITUDE
Hello, TKaren, I am ...
Today By: beth40n2
Let us Read the Bible and Encounter Christ!
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Lk 7:...
Today By: grateful_child
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Prayers continuing for...
Today By: grateful_child
Catholic Bible Group
AND, may the Lord cont...
Today By: GLam8833

Social Network Stats
468,671Members
766,212Topics
12,463,766Posts
1200Groups
10737Photos
216932Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a moderated group. Social Group

Catholics in the South

Group created by Parce Domine

Does your local phone book list seventy different churches under thirty separate denominations, twenty more missions and sub-denominations, plus a dozen other religious societies and congregations, but only one Catholic parish? Are you often asked, "If you died right now, do you KNOW you'd go to heaven?"

Do people talk about you in restaurants when you cross yourself for the blessing? Do they roll their eyes or snort when they see a crucifix around your neck?

Do people leave pamphlets on your porch because you have a statue of Mary in your yard, or put tracts on your windshield because you have a rosary hanging from your rear-view mirror?

Do your friends, neighbors, and in-laws pretty much agree that you need converting because you're Catholic, not what they consider "saved" and "born-again?"

Do people of more than three denominations, religions, or organizations come to your house to try to explain what it takes to be a REAL Christian? Have you ever been stared at during an "altar call?" At a wedding?

Or do you live in a part of the South where Catholics aren't the minority, like St. Francisville, Louisiana or Ave Maria, Florida?

Please come in and share your stories and experiences: good, bad, frustrating, humorous, or whatever. If you aren't in or from the South, come on in anyway and have a cup of coffee or glass of sweet iced tea. Join in the conversation and get to know what it's like to be a Catholic in the Bible Belt.

Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
Rosary
From Parce Domine
God loves us.
From Parce Domine
6a00d8345206a669e20134854ec368970c 800wi
From DasErlibnis
Armadale shrine 2
From JRPO
quokka
From JRPO

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 151 to 160 of 1500
  1. Hope and Faith
    Oct 24, '12 8:43 pm
    Hope and Faith
    Hi, I have been following this group for a while now and finally signed up. I lived in the South for almost 20 years moved then moved back to the North about 12 years ago. Well, this summer we went to the Gulf Coast for a visit and a "look-see" and it was wonderful. I really miss the south. We hope to move our little family back down in a couple of years once we figure out just where. (I lived in Jacksonville, husband has only lived here in the north). Reading this group wall has been really nice.

The south doesn't have a lot of Catholics although the gulf coast seems to but there are many people who are religious. Here in the north there are probably more Catholics but less religious people altogether. Also, a lot of Catholics don't practice fully.

So I was wondering if I could join the group and perhaps not only find a little taste of home but also some religious interaction. It seems like we get so caught up in work and all the day to day things it's hard to remain and live the faith sometimes. I would like to live my faith more fully. God Bless.
  2. jwder09
    Oct 24, '12 2:47 am
    jwder09
    Ours is a general blood drive; our parish priest is 100% in favor. You see, Father Young's brother (who is also a priest) requires frequent transfusions, due to medical condition; so, Father Young is always quick to point out that you may be saving his brother's life.
  3. Parce Domine
    Oct 23, '12 2:56 pm
    Parce Domine
    Those sound great, jwder. Is the blood drive for someone in your parish, or is it just a general drive? I hope the HH Society auction was successful, too. We don't have one of those, but it's a small parish in a small town. The same people who are already in the Knights and Ladies Aux, Franciscans, and Altar Society would be the same ones in the Helping Hands Society.
  4. jwder09
    Oct 23, '12 2:46 am
    jwder09
    No fund raiser this week; but, t K of C is sponsoring a blood drive. Our Helping Hands Society just wrapped up their annual auction.
  5. Parce Domine
    Oct 19, '12 8:54 am
    Parce Domine
    This is the time of year a lot of parishes have special events and fundraisers. What do y'all do?
  6. prayinghands
    Oct 15, '12 5:37 am
    prayinghands
    Good morning everyone.

The weather is just wonderful, cool and the sun rising in the east. Thanking God for a perfect morning and the start of a new week.

Oh jwder09, I just love that story. They are true blessings. Hang in there, because you doing what the Lord wants you to do. Love, nurture, shaping them in their spiritual life. Don't worry, those quick and easy meals will turn into a whole spread before long. If it helps, cook different things on the weekend for the up coming week. That will help you to have more time in the evenings. If you need my help just let me know. Prayers are still being said for you and your little ones.

Yes Parce, we need some very touching stories. I'm ready....
  7. Parce Domine
    Oct 14, '12 2:53 pm
    Parce Domine
    Awww, that sure is a touching story! Thank you for sharing. Sometimes the smallest, simplest things make such an impact. And sometimes it's the ones you least expect...
  8. jwder09
    Oct 11, '12 3:56 pm
    jwder09
    No Catholic sightings; but, I have a touching story.

Being a single dad, making dinner has become my most pressing chore (just try telling my kids dinner will be late!). Tonight, after saying Grace, my oldest made it a point to thank me for preparing dinner. Trust me, it nothing special (and hardly her favorite); but, it felt good to recgnized. I thank the great Lord for such good kids.
  9. Parce Domine
    Oct 11, '12 7:31 am
    Parce Domine
    Amen!
    So glad the prognosis is good and that you're recovering well. Take your time. That seems to be God's plan. Thanks for the update, and please keep them coming.

Anyone have Catholic sightings stories to share? I just love those!
  10. prayinghands
    Oct 10, '12 12:16 pm
    prayinghands
    Looks like a slow road to a 100% recovery, but gaining strength by the day. I'll be just fine. I have to be; I have a lot of praying and converting to do.

You know what I found out? When God wants you to slow down there is a very good reason. So, I am doing what he wants me to do. Sometimes we forget why we were born. Sometimes, we try to live to fast and put the most important on the back burner. Maybe, some of us, just don't care. I see this everyday. Such a sad way of life.

This is my third time God has had to slow me down. But, each time I have become closer to Him. I just pray people would stop, and think for just a few minutes . We were put on this earth for one reason. TO LIVE ACCORDING TO GOD'S WILL.

All one has to do, is listen as they pray the Our Father. "Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."