Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1978Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
902CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
808OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
805Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
755Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
707Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8019Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
4811CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4281Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: flower lady
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3809SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3356Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3177Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3141Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2953For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady
2672Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel

Latest Wall Messages
Let's empty Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: RJB
Poems and Reflections
tonyg, all ok?
Today By: PathWalker
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
UUAA, thanks for askin...
Today By: mountee
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Prayers offered for th...
Today By: Amiciel
CELEBRATE RECOVERY
After May 1, 2014 we w...
Today By: Alan Owings
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="2...
Yesterday By: Avila123
Our Lady of Lourdes
Hello Tammany, I'm so ...
Yesterday By: georget
The Occult
I had my MP3 player bl...
Yesterday By: ChibiViolet
For seniors and shut- ins
Hi all,hope you are en...
Yesterday By: flower lady
Saint Damien Of Molokai
[IMG]http://1.bp.blogs...
Yesterday By: Angelsflight

Social Network Stats
452,219Members
738,640Topics
12,029,679Posts
1187Groups
10477Photos
211132Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a moderated group. Social Group

Catholics in the South

Group created by Parce Domine

Does your local phone book list seventy different churches under thirty separate denominations, twenty more missions and sub-denominations, plus a dozen other religious societies and congregations, but only one Catholic parish? Are you often asked, "If you died right now, do you KNOW you'd go to heaven?"

Do people talk about you in restaurants when you cross yourself for the blessing? Do they roll their eyes or snort when they see a crucifix around your neck?

Do people leave pamphlets on your porch because you have a statue of Mary in your yard, or put tracts on your windshield because you have a rosary hanging from your rear-view mirror?

Do your friends, neighbors, and in-laws pretty much agree that you need converting because you're Catholic, not what they consider "saved" and "born-again?"

Do people of more than three denominations, religions, or organizations come to your house to try to explain what it takes to be a REAL Christian? Have you ever been stared at during an "altar call?" At a wedding?

Or do you live in a part of the South where Catholics aren't the minority, like St. Francisville, Louisiana or Ave Maria, Florida?

Please come in and share your stories and experiences: good, bad, frustrating, humorous, or whatever. If you aren't in or from the South, come on in anyway and have a cup of coffee or glass of sweet iced tea. Join in the conversation and get to know what it's like to be a Catholic in the Bible Belt.

Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
Rosary
From Parce Domine
God loves us.
From Parce Domine
6a00d8345206a669e20134854ec368970c 800wi
From DasErlibnis
Armadale shrine 2
From JRPO
quokka
From JRPO

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 611 to 620 of 1486
  1. runnerbad
    Oct 18, '11 8:11 pm
    runnerbad
    I always keep my rosarie in my pocket in a small carry bag. I have also placed one on one side of most every door knob in my home. I don't think this is disrespectful and it always makes me feel good each time I touch one or see one. A small thing but it goes a long way towards my keeping my thoughts.
  2. runnerbad
    Oct 18, '11 7:54 pm
    runnerbad
    Hi
    jwder09,
    I ended up in Knoxville,Tn
    Very nice area.
  3. Parce Domine
    Oct 17, '11 6:36 pm
    Parce Domine
    I've heard that more Protestants are using it, as they come to understand that it doesn't worship Mary and that the prayers are Biblical, or at least nothing they would disagree with. One of my Pentecostal friends, (a preacher's daughter) started praying it and said it gave her more peace.
    I was already concerned that it might have to do with gangs, but I'm sorry to hear that might be the case. At least they have them. Who knows how far such a small thing as even shopping for one might lead? When I was growing up, they told us not to wear them.
    I will admit one thing: it's a LOT easier to find rosaries around here now! No more asking, "Where's the Catholic corner" of Christian bookstores or being told condescendingly, "Oh noooooo, we only carry real Christian items here." I can find them now in the mall kiosks where the Middle Eastern men sell three-pound gold chains and four-inch tall crystal-encrusted dollar signs. (This is what had me wondering if it had anything to do with gangs.) I wonder if it's okay to buy several to keep back and have blessed only as needed. Would probably still have to hang them up somewhere because of the medal and crucifix. I'll have to ask.
  4. jwder09
    Oct 17, '11 4:27 pm
    jwder09
    As I passed by a coworkers desk, I noticed she had a rosary displayed on her wall. I took mine from my pocket (sorry, I'm definitely not a jewelry guy; so, I wouldn't wear one as jewelry) in order to inspire conversation. "I'm Baptist; but, my grandmother is Catholic, although we pray together" was her reply. Oddly enough, this wasn't the first time I've heard this. It could mean that Catholicism is establishing roots in the South, or that younger generations are opting more for the local flavor.

Incedently, I did read that criminal gangs are begining to incorporate rosaries as a part of there group identity. Hopefully, this is not the case in your area.
  5. Parce Domine
    Oct 17, '11 4:08 am
    Parce Domine
    What do you make of this new fad of guys wearing rosaries? Or half the cars sporting them from rear-view mirrors now? That was once a sure-fire sign of a Catholic, but lately I see them on guys that I know are not Catholic. And there hasn't been a sudden explosion in the number of cars in the parking lot at our church (the only parish in this county), so I suspect a lot of the cars with a rosary or crucifix aren't really Catholics' cars at all. What was once a sign of a fellow Catholic around here has become nothing but a status symbol or something. But what IS their status? Is it a symbol of belief or is it merely decoration? Probably some of one and some of the other...
  6. Parce Domine
    Oct 13, '11 12:32 pm
    Parce Domine
    Might be Pats or Chiefs vs. Saints in the 'Bowl. We'll have to trade email addresses if that happens to keep it out of here, or send it to a message board.

The business suited scarecrow sounds really cute. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.

I realize most Southerners don't LIKE the Church because they're ignorant to what the Church is, and it's ironic that nearly all who claim to be Christians want to be Catholic even though they don't realize it, but I really don't think it's a common southern perception that we are a "cult" (using the word as I assume he meant it). Most Southerners just seem to think we're misguided because we don't believe in Sola Scriptura or Sola Fide. (I think they're confused because both of those theologies are denounced in the Bible.) I'm sure there are several out there who do believe that we're a cult, if for no other reason than a keen desire to keep from learning the truth in the Faith, but I don't think it's the majority of Southerners. Is it? Maybe I'm just naive.
  7. Kent K
    Oct 12, '11 3:53 pm
    Kent K
    Parce,
    I live in the south now, but grew up a K.C. Chiefs fan. Luckily thanks to internet radio I can still follow them!
  8. jwder09
    Oct 11, '11 4:49 pm
    jwder09
    Ok, so I'm driving to work this morning listening to the local talk fest on the radio. The topic of Mitt Romney's Mormon faith comes up; and, sure enough the question of wether or not the Mormon church is a cult comes up. As sure as ants at a picnic, one of the hosts fires off, under the auspice of reporting a common southern perception, that the Catholic Church and the Mormon church are both cults. I was livid. This particular host has always gone out of his way not to attack any faith; but, I couldn't help feeling as if he was expressing an opinion by way of a fruedian slip.
  9. jwder09
    Oct 10, '11 4:10 pm
    jwder09
    Sorry Parce, I'm from Connecticut originally; so, go PATS! Both of my kids are quite a way from college yet; but, my oldest did enter a scarecrow making contest sponsored by 4H. She made a business man scarecrow, complete with a tie and suspenders. Ever since my workplace went casual, I haven't had too much use for that sort of clothing anyway.
  10. Parce Domine
    Oct 9, '11 9:08 pm
    Parce Domine
    Any SAINTS fans here? New Orleans football, that is. (I assume we're all fans of the "real" angels and saints.) They flew the flags at half-mast to honor Archbishop Hannon. They're our own Southern Catholic team, named on All Saints Day for the saints.