Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1978Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
904CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
808OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
805Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
756Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
710Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8026Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: 3DOCTORS
4816CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4286Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3810SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3358Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3183Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: CountrySteve
3145Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2959For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara
2679Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel

Latest Wall Messages
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
[url]http://jceworld.b...
Yesterday By: lsbar
Meet and talk,talk talk
I will pray, Kelly. Ma...
Yesterday By: 3DOCTORS
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
[url]www.savior.org[/u...
Yesterday By: Amiciel
Divine Mercy
Please join me in pray...
Yesterday By: pomegranate
For seniors and shut- ins
I hope everyone has a ...
Yesterday By: Kellyreneeomara
SOLITUDE
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]...
Yesterday By: Prairie Rose
Catholic Bible Group
"Who gave Himself as a...
Yesterday By: GLam8833
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Hi! Y'all:hug3: I w...
Yesterday By: 77stanthony77
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Eternal Father, I offe...
Yesterday By: Fiona Margaret
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]...
Yesterday By: tuscany

Social Network Stats
452,219Members
739,153Topics
12,038,395Posts
1187Groups
10478Photos
211251Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a moderated group. Social Group

OCD/Scrupulosity Group

Group created by AFCatholic

This group is for those who suffer from a religious form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). From the Scrupulous Anonymous website "Older people may be troubled about past sins, others agonize about problems of obedience and purity, and many worry about sin where there is no sin. Their fear and anxiety prevent them from making decisions lest they be wrong ones." This forum is for discussion and encouragement.

Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 1 to 10 of 4027
  1. fencersmother
    Apr 11, '14 10:56 am
    fencersmother
    Have any of you been told by your confessor to refrain from the sacrament of reconciliation, except for once a month? It has been "suggested" for me (though I am under no charge regarding it) and while it's only been five days, I feel that same old strong compulsion to go again.

Now, I KNOW (I hope, pray) that I have committed no mortal sins in five days, and I know that my confessor is sosososo busy so I haven't called, but just the compulsive feeling is about overwhelming.

I know realize how strong the process of addiction must be to alcoholics and drug addicts, for whom I have had few charitable thoughts in the past. Ahhh, maybe I should confess THAT?
  2. BoistonEA
    Mar 30, '14 2:42 pm
    BoistonEA
    I'm feeling so much better I know I will never be totally free of depression but at the moment I'm at peace. This Lent has helped a lot have managed to do a little more than last, but I'm praying and praying and God is there I know helping me.
  3. eschator83
    Mar 30, '14 10:38 am
    eschator83
    Welcome back, I think staying depressed without praying about it and/or seeking help from friends and Church is probably a venial sin, but I pray you will get out of it. I believe our kids face a lot more temptation than we did, especially TV and other media. The USA should be ashamed, and afraid, of what we are letting happen to our society. It is long past overdue to impose restrictions on public sexuality, and violence too. Our weakest just keep getting worse.
  4. BoistonEA
    Mar 15, '14 4:07 pm
    BoistonEA
    It's been a while since I was on here. I haven't a great lot to say except is it a sin to be depressed. I do cope with life but every time I think I'm doing well the devil won't leave me alone and puts thoughts into my mind. I wanted to go to Confession today but I just couldn't. I feel as if II've messed up a lot I'm getting on a bit now and I just want to put the past behind me. I blame myself for the way my children live their lives even though I know we are all responsible for our own lives and God does help me every day.
  5. USERNAME3
    Dec 16, '13 5:04 am
    USERNAME3
    I realize this could be posted in the main forums, but I am going to post it here. Later today I am turning in my final portfolio for a fiction writing class and I felt conflicted over something the entire semester. In people's stories they have things that might be innapropriate and I have felt conflicted over whether to comment on this or to keep it more of a strict literature perspective without morality. Specifically if you could give me advice on language. I added like one sentence saying something like Prefer it without swearing or doesn't need to use God out of context (referring to taking God's name in vain). Should I leave the sentence in about language (especially if there is swearing?) Should I only comment on using God's name?
  6. Genevieve II
    Dec 13, '13 12:34 am
    Genevieve II
    Johnnyt3000, I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from this. The feeling/thought that you can't be forgiven is more of a psychological rather than a spiritual problem. Many priests have told you that you've been forgiven. You know this intellectually. However, the OCD that underlies our scrupulosity makes us buy into our feelings/thoughts. You are not your feelings. The best that you can do is to make room for the anxiety associated with these feelings. Obtaining continual reassurance that you were forgiven just perpetuates the condition. You might just remind yourself that you have ocd and these thoughts/feelings will crop up from time to time. Then, don't give them power. Go ahead with your day and pay them no attention. Try engaging in a pleasurable activity if they just keep wearing you down. Hope this helps. God's Blessings to All!
  7. johnnyt3000
    Dec 9, '13 7:47 pm
    johnnyt3000
    Have any of you ever struggled with the worry of the unpardonable sin? I currently do right now. I have constantly been worrying about this for a couple days now, what happened was back about 3 months ago when I started coming back to the church (change of heart), there were some bad habits I had to break, during that time I was extremely scrupulous, but in some unfortunate moments I was careless as well, I would commit a sin just because I know I could go to confession about it (which is another sin, the sin of presumption), and I understand that this is a sin against the Holy Ghost, and I constantly worry because I've read that the sins against the Holy Spirit have to do with when Jesus spoke of the unpardonable sin(blasphemy against the Holy Spirit) in Matthew 12:31, I have talked to a priest about this, and he assured me it's only unforgivable BECAUSE the person does NOT repent, therefore I repented (confessed the presumption) and so I have been forgiven (because I have the firm resolution to never do it again), I also get the same answer from every priest on every catholic website that I have been to, the problem is, I can't get rid of the feeling/thought that I can't be forgiven!! But I do not, and never ever want to despair, I have not despaired, I always still go to confession regularly, I'm constantly praying to Jesus to have mercy on me, and I ask him to please take away the insecurity that i'm dealing with, what are some other things that can help my situation?
  8. fencersmother
    Oct 8, '13 7:05 am
    fencersmother
    I recently had a meeting with our parish's new "Spiritual Director" who is a psychologist, who told me I needed counseling when I told her I was worried about the differences between mortal and venial sin. when I told her I had scrupulous tendencies, she poo-pooed me, saying that if I just went to her office, she could counsel me, and don't worry, she was sure I just couldn't sin. While she may have been correct in some respects, she certainly did not properly handle my fears, and I'm not sure she was a Christian. Later, she was removed from this role at our parish and has not returned.

It's a tough world out there for those of us with scrupulosity or those tendencies.
  9. Heaven2001
    Sep 25, '13 10:10 pm
    Heaven2001
    Hi everyone it been a while since I checked in, but I am happy to say that I have meet a psychologist who is a very devoted catholic and understood excatly what I was going through and put me on a low dose of medication. Now with the help of my faith in The Lord our God and the medi's I'm doing well and return to doing normal things that I found hard for the last four years.
    Please keep up you faith in The Lord.
    P.s if any of you are in Australia and need the name of this doctor let me know.
  10. Arturo Ortiz
    Jul 18, '13 1:05 pm
    Arturo Ortiz
    LoveGod102

I am sorry for your current situation and I will be praying for you

We all experience anxiety here and there. For a time I had experienced anxiety pretty bad more than was necessary. With this anxiety it is easier for you to take in all the blame of everything, even other people's problems. We just have to know that not everything is under our control, and for that reason we have to rely on God. We should be the childlike followers of Christ who perfectly and wholly submit themselves to Christ, knowing that he will provide.

For this we should know that there are different aspects and factors that are at play in our lives. There is both the spiritual but also the temporal/physical realm. Although it is true to say that demonic/spiritual warfare is real, it is also true to say that many things that make us struggle, specifically in the case of many stress/scrupulosity/OCD related things are scientific and biological.

For this I would just recommend you to pray, hope, and don't worry. Stay close to Christ and his Church, but also listen to both your spiritual director and confessor, but also to your medical experts including the therapist and psychiatrist if you have one.

the following websites are great for many things.

scruplosity/OCD
    http://mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupanon.htm
    http://mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupanon.htm
    http://jimmyakin.com/2005/04/a_crown_of_thor.html

Catholic therapists
    http://www.catholictherapists.com/