Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1982Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
911CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
811OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
806Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
757Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
710Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8043Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: HillsongUnited
4828CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4294Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3812SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3376Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3150Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2961For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany
2701Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel

Latest Wall Messages
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
[url]www.savior.org[/u...
Today By: Amiciel
Let's empty Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offe...
Yesterday By: James_OPL
Divine Mercy: Jesus I trust in you.
[I][FONT="PalatinoLino...
Divine Mercy
[I][FONT="Palatino Lin...
Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
[I][FONT="Palatino Lin...
Praying for our Future Spouse
I hope everyone is enj...
Yesterday By: fin
BE NOT AFRAID -- Catholics Living With Anxiety Dis...
Hello...I am new and s...
Yesterday By: lonelydove
Meet and talk,talk talk
BTW, hello everyone! ...
Yesterday By: HillsongUnited
prayer warriors
There is no greater gi...
Yesterday By: darfro
Poems and Reflections
[I][B]Treasured Holy P...
Yesterday By: PathWalker

Social Network Stats
452,632Members
739,986Topics
12,053,524Posts
1187Groups
10482Photos
211510Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

BE NOT AFRAID -- Catholics Living With Anxiety Disorders

Group created by 3DOCTORS

To give mutual support and fellowship for those of us who live with anxiety disorders such as Panic Attacks, GAD, PTSD, Agoraphobia, and similar fearful difficulties.

Our hero is Pope John Paul the Great, whose example of courage in so many difficulties, and his proclaiming of the phrase "Be Not Afraid! Open Wide the Doors to Christ!" can remind us of what we need to do to help ourselves to carry these crosses.

Showing 3 of 3 Picture(s)
Our Lady of Mental Peace
From 3DOCTORS
jpii with dove   black and white picture
From 3DOCTORS
Anyone know what prayer these are for?
From Lucky10279

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 271 to 280 of 488
  1. 3DOCTORS
    Aug 25, '11 1:42 pm
    3DOCTORS
    Welcome to our 100th member! That would be you, elvis1943, correct? Hope you and all members find victory over fear through our faith in Jesus and our mutual caring and support for one another here.

I'm facing a move myself, within 3 months. I've decided to move in with a friend, she made an offer that is very reasonable financially. And I was thinking it was rather dicey for me to move from the home where I now live (which was the home I grew up in and returned to after my father's death) to someplace I had no previous ties to.

This way, with this friend, I'll have her, her pets and mine, neighbors she knows, etc. to help bridge the transition. Space will be limited - that's the downside - but an easier problem to solve than that of nighttime panic attacks.

I'll also have time to mourn the loss of my family home (to foreclosure) and take my time to be ready emotionally, practically, and financially for someplace new. By then, it might seem more like an adventure, starting with the house hunting and then the moving, and I won't be under deadline.

elvis1943, I certainly can relate to you on the fear of travel and yet wishing one could go to see people one loves. My relatives are not that far away, and one friend is only in a suburb and yet right now they might as well be on the far side of the Moon to me. Sorry, don't mean to be gloomy - we will keep praying and sharing and hopefully brighter days are ahead. Take care all.
  2. elvis1943
    Aug 19, '11 6:14 pm
    elvis1943
    Hi, great to find a group dealing with panic disorder etc. I am afraid that the older I get the smaller my comfort zone gets. I am still able to go to work which is only 5 miles away, thank God! I can't go on trips like I used to. My daughter lives in Boston, and I in Ct. I can't visit her because of fear of panic attacks. So I will hang around this group, and see if I can pick up some advice. God Bless.
    Mitch:
    confused:
  3. Justicia et Pax
    Aug 19, '11 5:20 pm
    Justicia et Pax
    Oh wow, only just noticed this group! I suffer from anxiety and agoraphobia, which can be quite horrible. Sometimes I barricade myself inside the house for days... but I always go to my outpatients hospital appointments

Prayers for everyone in the group
  4. WoundedIcon
    Aug 19, '11 5:12 pm
    WoundedIcon
    It's so difficult being a man who has to drag around all the stereotypical violence that comes from mood disorders and PTSD. My past is a total mess, please pray for me that I won't be ruined by it - either in guilt or by having it mess up my future relationships when they find out some of the nasty things I've done.
  5. 3DOCTORS
    Aug 18, '11 4:45 pm
    3DOCTORS
    I would second the advice about Courage - because carrying around the issue of same sex attraction could be a root of some of the anxiety. I say this out of love and not to be condemning of you - you are welcome here in this anxiety group as much as anyone else - but just think about the Courage option, okay?

Bible Student, you are also welcome here, anyone on CAF is welcome here.

Hoping people will pray for me as I go through a life transition that involves a lot of agoraphobia triggers. God bless.
  6. jmjlori
    Aug 4, '11 5:44 am
    jmjlori
    Anxman--you're not alone in your sufferings. Do you have a priest that you can go to? He may be able to help you spiritually and possibly guide you to a good medical professional. There's no reason to continue to live in such a debilitating way. I do have a question: you posted that you are a "gay" male. Are you living a chaste life? The Church has a group (NOT Dignity--that's been condemned by the Church, though it can still be found in some parishes). The group that helps homosexuals live chaste lives and grow spiritually is called Courage. I would pray that you may be led to a good priest and to a good group. The Lord always answer prayers (though we sometimes have to wait I'll pray for you, as well.
  7. Anxman
    Jul 28, '11 12:52 pm
    Anxman
    I am a 51 year old Gay male new to this site. I am also a recovering alcoholic with almost 30 years clean and sober. As of late I've been experiencing a great amount of fear, agoraphobia. I am afraid to leave my home even to go to work. I go to work because I have to. For some inexplicable reason a ball of fear in the center of my chest has taken over my life. I am afraid to go out in the world for fear something bad will happen. I know life happens, good and bad, but I do not trust I will be taken care or safe in I venture out into the world. My logic is if I stay home then nothing bad could happen to me. I can't get a ticket, or an accident, or be rejected, or envy others happiness, success, relationships. But, despite all the above, I am not happy! I want to be not afraid and to be happy! Prayer helps a little, but the fear ball always returns. Alas . .
  8. Bible Student
    Jul 23, '11 10:50 pm
    Bible Student
    Even though I am not a Roman Catholic, I pray that you will accept my experience as a PTSD sufferer since 1971 (Vietnam combat experience). I have been under treatment for decades and on many types of medication. In my limited experience only two things have realy helped; (1) intense devotional prayer, and (2) advanced theological studies. Through these two, I have been able to reduce my dependancy on calmers and sleeping tablets. I cannot yet watch war movies or news reels about Afganistan etc. but when I keep mentally busy the symptoms are greatly reduced. After retirement I went back to University to achieve precisely the distraction that kept my mind of Vietnam. I am a Chaplain Emeritus to an organisation of serving and exserving military and a Chaplain at Calvary Hospital. Jesus said; "My peace I give to you."

Peace to all who suffer from fearful difficulties.
  9. 3DOCTORS
    Jul 19, '11 9:58 am
    3DOCTORS
    How's everyone coping with the summer heat? I find it makes me anxious and depressed - started a thread about it even - http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=581440

alwaysscared, have you talked with a priest to see if you have scrupulosity? That can sure feed into panic attacks sometimes. I'll pray for you that you can find better sources of relief than alcohol - not judging, just concerned for your health. Take care and God bless you.

Also, the Divine Mercy devotion can help us with realizing how forgiving Our Lord is.
  10. prosebyme
    Jun 7, '11 8:42 pm
    prosebyme
    I am awestruck by reading through this thread; there are many brave people on here that soldier through. Personally I suffer from severe social anxiety/agoraphobia as a result of a endocrine problem. My strength is my prayer, my adoration hours and my crossword puzzles. I find that if I concentrate on something else the anxiety is less severe. My prayers go to MaryHope; wow what a courageous woman you are. Francis 1989 I'm glad that you posted about the Zoloft. I'm supposed to be on it but have anxiety over the side effects (no pun intended). Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me. In the meantime, it looks like I am in the company of some great people in this group.