Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
2072Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1684Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
962CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
934Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
836OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
830Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
769Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
720Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5020CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: 77stanthony77
4346Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3835SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3571Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3207Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Chast Forever
3134Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3049For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe

Latest Wall Messages
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: Avila123
Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
I think food choices a...
Today By: Chast Forever
The Fasting Group
Pax Christi! Tried to ...
Today By: svid2
Prayer circle!
praying for everyone h...
Today By: 77stanthony77
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Hi y'all:hug3: The we...
Today By: 77stanthony77
Let's empty Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: RJB
Let us Read the Bible and Encounter Christ!
[U]Study Question from...
Today By: Amiciel
Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
[url]www.savior.org[/u...
Today By: Amiciel
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
[COLOR="Green"][B][FON...
Today By: tuscany
For seniors and shut- ins
What a wonderful news ...
Yesterday By: Thomas Choe

Social Network Stats
463,595Members
758,223Topics
12,340,404Posts
1194Groups
10662Photos
215284Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

Societas Melancholicus

Group created by GloriousOrder

This group is a place for those who are identified as melancholics, by Scholastic definition and by a personal examination of conscience. It is dedicated to balancing the extreme traits of Melancholia with Jesus Christ, the Blessed Lord, who helps all in need, in love for the Father.

Temperare Melancholicus is an order of the human person whereby a soul is intensely focused on personal humiliation. The melancholic seeks isolation, whether consciously or unconsciously, and prefers lonesome solitude on the whole. Small, dark rooms with a book or a music player (with earphones, of course, so no one can hear what we're listening to, in case it's too silly!) are our preferred places. This loneliness of the soul often gives in to artistic, literary, and theological groundbreaking on the part of the melancholic; on the other hand, sorrow at meeting other people can be very disordered in the Christian life.

We are here to balance the bad effects, in Christ, and to exaggerate the good, silent, contemplative, artistic, and theological possibilities of this 'alignment'. Thank St. Thomas Aquinas for revealing this to us, so we may better ourselves with the Holy Trinity!

Showing 1 of 1 Picture(s)
Thomas Aquinas, the Angelic Doctor
From 0129141

Group Activity in Group Forum
Group Wall Messages 21 to 30 of 47
  1. 3DOCTORS
    Feb 2, '11 4:22 pm
    3DOCTORS
    Hello again - and thanks for the New Years wishes and a blessed New Year to everyone else as well. And a blessed Feast of the Presentation, and Happy Groundhog Day!

I'm wondering - do you all sometimes get this wish to "rewind" your life for about 20 years or more? Do you find yourself sometimes dwelling on past sins and also past stupidities? Wrong turns, missed opportunities, and the like?

I know God has forgiven me for my past sins, and I do think I've forgiven myself, and I know I've learned from my mistakes, but sometimes I still wish I could have "do-overs."

Lest this sound too gloomy, let me say that I think I'm in a conversion process so it's probably just something I have to go through for a short while to get to something good that God has in store for me.

Let's just keep praying for one another, shall we?
  2. fons_vitae
    Feb 1, '11 6:53 pm
    fons_vitae
    ! Oh, actual group activity...

Battle_Warrior: I almost always tend to live in the future rather than the past. I'll say, "If only such and such would happen..." and tend to neglect whatever responsibilities are before me at the moment.

This habit is frequent enough that even my best friend has even called me on it. :P
  3. Battle_Warrior
    Feb 1, '11 6:43 pm
    Battle_Warrior
    Nothing much....I often find myself holding on to the past and not living in the present and enjoying the good things in life.
  4. fons_vitae
    Feb 1, '11 6:41 pm
    fons_vitae
    Greetings, iwillrisenow... So, what's.... uh, occurring, everybody? ^^;
  5. iwillrisenow
    Jan 30, '11 7:52 pm
    iwillrisenow
    Hello my fellow melancholics...just saying a quick "hi" and "it's nice to be here"...now back to lurking 'round the forums...
  6. TempleofTheSoul
    Jan 6, '11 10:23 am
    TempleofTheSoul
    I´m still here... A very happy New Year to all of my beloved Melancholic´s. I´ve been up and down the melancholic slide since I last posted but am now on the upside of it thank God.

I hope that each and every one of you learn to cope with the melancholic up and down slide.

God bless
  7. 3DOCTORS
    Jan 5, '11 8:12 pm
    3DOCTORS
    Quote from group description:
    "This loneliness of the soul often gives in to artistic, literary, and theological groundbreaking on the part of the melancholic; on the other hand, sorrow at meeting other people can be very disordered in the Christian life."

You are describing me here lately on CAF. Behind the Internet mask of anonymity, I've gotten so many ideas, been bold and enthused. Started several groups. Made quite a few posts. Now I've hit the wall and need a rock to crawl under. Controversy has disillusioned and unsettled me. Depression, uncertainty, and chaos IRL also play a part.

I feel like I used to feel on jobs when I'd slide into the role of the fallen star, the black sheep. And then have to leave or be told my services were no longer required. I know this is all emo and whiney and yuck. I should be a big girl and do better. I will, in time.

Would you all mind praying for me as I discern how to re-balance my spiritual life and other aspects of life - online and off? Thanks.
  8. fons_vitae
    Jan 3, '11 10:48 am
    fons_vitae
    @3Doctors: I wish I had an apropos and witty response to your plight, but nothing comes readily to mind. I think you've hit on some common problems--the whole "neglecting-to-feed-creativity" thing I really identify with too.
  9. Battle_Warrior
    Dec 31, '10 7:58 pm
    Battle_Warrior
    Happy New Year everyone!!!!
  10. fons_vitae
    Dec 31, '10 7:55 pm
    fons_vitae
    Greetings to Craig and Battle_Warrior. ^^