Search Groups

MembersPopular Groups
1981Meet and talk,talk talk
Created by: jeana12
1650Impurity Addiction Support Group
Created by: whm
936Divine Mercy
Created by: windmelody
905CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Created by: tuscany
811OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Created by: AFCatholic
806Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Created by: 4elise
757Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Created by: FootStool
710Catholics in the South
Created by: Parce Domine
649Charismatic Christians and Friends
Created by: denwiles
593Knights of Columbus
Created by: tee_eff_em

MsgsMost Active Groups
8039Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Mary Virginia
4827CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4292Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3812SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3373Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3149Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2962For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD
2698Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel

Latest Wall Messages
Lord I Love Thee
Lord Jesus Christ than...
Today By: KrazyKat
Catholic Bible Group
Can you imagine the tw...
Today By: eschator83
Mature Vocations
This is a follow up to...
Today By: mebcb
Meet and talk,talk talk
Today Dr. Oz said to l...
Today By: Mary Virginia
Spiritual Thoughts In Action~
Wondering where everyo...
Let's Empty Purgatory 2
O Eternal Father, I of...
Let's empty Purgatory
Eternal Father, I offe...
Today By: RJB
Poems and Reflections
Welcome back Tony!
Today By: PathWalker
CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
UUAA have a wonderful ...
Today By: mountee
CLEAN jokes (because we need to laugh)
Why do we love childre...
Today By: arayner12

Social Network Stats
452,465Members
739,841Topics
12,051,027Posts
1187Groups
10482Photos
211474Messages

Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Social Groups

This is a public group. Social Group

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Visit the forum of this group.
Group created by 4elise

A place to share both why we've made this choice, and perhaps the challenges & blessings we've found along the way.

We can also share resource, recipes, and resolve!

Non vegetarians / non vegans welcome to post respectful questions about the why and how of this choice.

Showing 5 of 56 Picture(s)
Almond Snowball Cookies
From ARL337
Coconut Bacon
From ARL337
Mock Crab Cakes and Brussel Sprouts
From ARL337
Scrambled Tofu
From ARL337
Mac and "Cheeze"
From ARL337

Group Activity in Group Forum
Activity in forum
Visit the forum of this group.
  1. BetsyHound
    Mar 3, '14 12:11 pm
    BetsyHound
    Check out drmcdougall.com. His diet is low cost and starch-based.
  2. creationlover
    Mar 3, '14 6:21 am
    creationlover
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lit_lover88 View Post
    I'm extremely interested in it. I bought that 80/10/10 diet book by Dr. Graham. However, I'm concerned about the possibility of negative side effects after the initial detox. i.e. is that diet really healthy or harmful?
    I'm not familiar with Dr. Graham's diet, I like Hallelujah Acres diet which leans more toward vegetables http://www.hacres.com/. Everyone is different; you may for instance need a 60-40 starting out or a 50-50 (raw/cooked ratio).

Dr. McDougall, a vegan MD critiques Dr. Graham's diet on this youtube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrRnRI5Ms34. (I haven't watched it yet, but it seems to be a debate between the two.)

Personally, I couldn't do a fruitarian diet, but that's me. I can only consume a few fruits per day, but I'm heavy on greens. Next comes beans and healthy grains.

What side effects after the detox are you concerned about?
    Thread: Raw
  3. 4elise
    Mar 2, '14 9:19 pm
    4elise
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debn1951 View Post
    Greetings All! I'm new to the entire web site and excited to find the vegan group! Thought I would share a simple and delicious vegan recipe that I use frequently:
    Sweet Potato Yum

Makes 4 servings
    Ingredients:
    4 sweet potatoes, baked with skin on
    1 tbl olive oil
    1/4 c chopped onion
    1 can of black beans, drained
    Half a jar of Newmans Own medium chunky salsa
    2-3 tbl brown sugar
    Mashed avocado or guacamole

Heat olive oil in skillet, cook onion until golden.
    Add the black beans and cook on medium heat about 5 min, until beans are heated through.
    Add the brown sugar and cook a few minutes more until the sugar dissolves.
    Add the salsa, stir and cook over medium low heat about 5 min.
    Cut open the baked potatoes and mash in the skin.
    Add the black bean mix to each potato.
    Top with avocado or guacamole.
    That sounds delicious - AND - easy too! Thanks for sharing this!
  4. Michael Mayo
    Feb 20, '14 9:26 am
    Michael Mayo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crucifer View Post
    [BetterMichael M11722269]I am lazy also. I already gave away my juicer and am trying the Naked Juice options. you know anout Naked Juice?
    Hey Michael,

I just bought a new Juicer. I have been looking into juicing for over a year and have learned a couple of things. 1st. There is always a bad, better, best. 2. Live Foods, Live Bodies. Raw foods (uncooked) still have the many enzymes to help digestion and vitamins/ minerals that yo ur body needs. So bad: coke, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweetners. Better: naked or other PROCESSED fruit and veggie smoothies (most have concentrates) Best: Raw foods and vegetables whole or juiced. If your on a budget look for cheaper places and or cheaper items. Id rather eat a nice fresh fruit.([/quote]

Good for you, Crucifer. Absolutely right and maybe some day I will have the time (or patience) to go back to making my own juice.
    Thread: Juicing?
  5. 4elise
    Feb 19, '14 7:10 am
    4elise
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rafaela View Post
    Hello,
    I am pregnant, but I also have a BMI of over 30. I have to loose weight steadily. If you have a good recipe that is low sugar&low fat, but simple and nutritious, please post it here. Any input will be highly appreciated.
    Congratulations ... Your circumstances are so special, I hope you are also working with a dietitian as well... We have many great recipes posted here but this is a staple in our diet:

LOAF

In food processor
    Add
    1 package extra firm tofu, don't drain
    1 can white beans.. Navy or other
    Blend
    Seasoning... We add one tablespoon vegetarian chicken flavoring ..http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Veg.../dp/B00FB0426C
    Add two cups vital wheat gluten
    Will make thick dough
    Spray loaf pan
    Press dough into loaf
    Cover tightly with foil (important step)
    Bake 1 hour at 410
    Cool
    Slice and use as you would sliced turkey, for sandwiches,
    Cube and use in recipes (added at end of cooking)
    Dice and add to a saad

God bless you!!

Please, also scroll down and post on our social wall... Everyone can easily respond to questions here too
  6. 4elise
    Jan 31, '14 7:44 am
    4elise
    A healthy Superbowl party is possible - but even for vegetarians and vegans sometimes it is just yummy foods... and while they may be healthier ---- they are super yummy -

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4139&catId=2

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/health...r-bowl-snacks/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01...n_4696042.html

http://keepinitkind.com/35-vegan-super-bowl-recipes/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK --- and MY NOT WINGS --- I though I'd posted before, but can't find it....

* one can of northern beans
    * one package extra firm tofu
    * 2 cups wheat gluten
    * 2 tablespoons 'not chicken flavoring' (this is what we use: http://www.harvest2000intl.com/produ...illon-mix.html)

food process - the above in order - it will make a stiff dough

heat oil in pan
    pinch pieces of dough and fry - turning over to brown both sides and set aside

Once you've cooked all the 'wings' you will marinate in:

* 1 cup of vegan margarine melted - the best is earth balance
    * juice of 2 LIMES
    * 1 entire small bottle of red roaster (or more) http://www.taw9eel.com/red-rooster-h...ce-175-ml.html - this is the MOST important ingredent - no other hot sauce will do - not only in my opinion - but REALLY

The longer you marinate the hotter- better they get -- once done - you can spread on a cooking sheet and just heat briefly - in oven

serve with celery and ranch:

Ranch:

* 1 cup Veganese
    * 1/4 tsp onion powder
    * 1/4 tsp garlic powder
    * dash of garlic salt
    * black pepper if you like this to taste -
    * dried parsley
    * splash of unsweetened soy milk / almond milk / rice milk --- OR if you don't have unsweetened water will do

I think my friend Creatonlover has tried these!
  7. creationlover
    Jan 27, '14 11:59 am
    creationlover
    Speaking of health concerns, I ran into this website - Get Waisted. http://getwaisted.com/ I haven't tried the program, but I discovered it in a vegan fitness magazine. My wife and I thought seriously about trying the program and if we were pleased with it, actually becoming group leaders. It seems like a nice way to help folks lose weight - the vegan way.

To become a leader, it takes a commitment of 1-2 group meetings per week - plus prep time. But, you make a little cash and more importantly, spread the message of veganism via a door most of us are willing to enter - the door of healthy, high antioxidant permanent weight loss. From there, as you mentioned 4elise, hopefully the door to animal concerns and environment would begin to come to the surface.

Unfortunately, with my commitment (battle?) to become a nurse, we decided against it, at least for now. Looks really interesting, though.

I like the fact it is led by medical doctors. Not against alternative medicine, but understandably, people like the reassurance of a doctor. Well, here's a couple of doctors - vegan doctors...
  8. Michael Mayo
    Dec 28, '13 1:16 pm
    Michael Mayo
    Proverbs 15:17
    Better a small serving of vegetables with love than a fattened calf with hatred.

Daniel 1:12
    “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink.

But for Christians diet is not a faith issue.

Romans 14:1-3
    14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.
  9. simpleas
    Dec 24, '13 1:38 pm
    simpleas
    My mouth is watering! Sounds great

I have just tasted vegan strawberry, coconut marshmellows......delightful!

Also some vegan nouget.....yummy.

Have a lovely Christmas and a great new year all
    Thread: What's cooking?
  10. creationlover
    Dec 1, '13 6:30 pm
    creationlover
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetsyHound View Post
    I have just gotten a copy of Dr. Fuhrman's The End of Diabetes and am excited that it may work for me (I am pre-diabetic). I don't know if any of you are familiar with his writings or programs on PBS, but they are quite compelling and compatible with a vegan or vegetarian diet. His diet concentrates on nutrient rich foods, which, surprise, are fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.

I have most recently been unhappily on a low-carb diet to lose weight and improve health, but had this nagging question about dietary health laws in the Bible, which I believe God did not make for nothing, even if we are no longer bound to them by pain of sin. Why did He say, The fat is not for you, if now it is supposed to be healthy? Why is wheat now "bad" if God said it is good and uses it for His Eucharist?

Then I found Dr. Fuhrman's work and am trying to learn about it. He also has a few books for non-diabetics. Even though one is a vegetarian vegan, it is possible to still to choose unhealthy foods. Nutrient-density is the way to go! I have been able to get his books at the library.
    Just now seeing this post... Sorry...
    The wheat we consume today is far different from what they ate years ago. Most wheat today is highly processed - even some of the so called healthy stuff. My take, anyway.

I thought God wanted the Jews to eat the fat during certain feasts? Do you mean animal fat? Animal fat isn't good for us, although some may argue for omega 3s from fish such as sardines or salmon. I believe Dr. Fuhrman advocates fats from seeds and nuts - in limited amounts.

Group Wall Messages 1191 to 1200 of 3184
  1. Christine85
    Aug 11, '11 4:27 am
    Christine85
    spinach
  2. 4elise
    Aug 10, '11 10:31 pm
    4elise
    Veggie name game:

'm'
    Mushrooms (oh cause I'm a fun guy)

3. creationlover
    Aug 10, '11 7:24 pm
    creationlover
    from celery to yellow watermelon; yam
  4. severus68
    Aug 10, '11 8:26 am
    severus68
    courgette, carrot, capsicum, celery
  5. 4elise
    Aug 9, '11 9:42 pm
    4elise
    Veggie name game:

Tag - you're it.... go "C" who will be the first to post a veggie with a first letter c - or how many can you list!
  6. 4elise
    Aug 9, '11 9:28 pm
    4elise
    Welcome retiredladyann! What ever brings you to moving to a plant based diet - I think it is great!

Are you looking for something specific to make?
  7. 4elise
    Aug 9, '11 9:24 pm
    4elise
    Elephant Garlic!!!

Go 'c' ---- so much to chose from!
  8. retiredladyann
    Aug 9, '11 9:21 pm
    retiredladyann
    Hi, our daughter-in-law has been a vegetarian for several years, telling us that she will not eat anything with a "face." We do not agree that humans and animals have equal status in life. Nevertheless, We have been trying to accommodate her whenever she visits, cooking veggie dishes, veggie hot dogs, veggie hamburg, etc. My husband and I are both in different stages of kidney failure and I am learning that a vegetarian or vegan diet is a lot healthier for our kidneys than eating meat and dairy. We still have to watch the sodium but I am going to purchase a couple of vegetarian/vegan cookbooks and use them for recipes for good meals. I also watch the 7th Day Adventist cooking shows occasionally on our TV, and everything looks so delicious and healthy. This will be a very drastic change for us. Does anyone on this forum eat vegetarian because of a major health problem? I too abhor the treatment of animals being slaughtered, and know that feeding them hormones and antibiotics is the last thing WE need to ingest. I wish our doctors were more pro-active about eating habits, and less apt to prescribe oodles of prescription drugs, but perhaps they have learned over the years that many patients will not change their lifelong eating habits unless they have hit a wall-a major disease that requires more and more pills. Facing dialysis for the rest of our lives is a challenge!
    thank you for any help you can suggest. And yes, it's easier in summer to eat this way because of the varieties of salad greens and fresh veggies and fruits.
  9. 4elise
    Aug 9, '11 9:19 pm
    4elise
    On no another 'e'
  10. creationlover
    Aug 9, '11 8:10 pm
    creationlover
    I'll try escarole...