Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Family Life (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lent fasting and liquids (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=100835)

bobtails Feb 26, '06 5:03 pm

Lent fasting and liquids

Does anyone know if coffee is considered okay on ash wendesday and good friday? DH and I think maybe not because it is somewhat of an "extravagence". Same thing with pop.

As for liquids, what's okay and what's not?? :confused:

beckyann2597 Feb 26, '06 5:06 pm

Re: Lent fasting and liquids

I googled a search for "catholic fast guidelines" and found this
http://www.nwicatholic.com/lenten_guidelines.htm

Sir Knight Feb 26, '06 6:07 pm

What about sodas?

LilyM Feb 26, '06 7:41 pm

Those guidelines are pretty good and clearcut. I'd say soda is out but my coffee is in which is good, otherwise I'd never keep the energy up! I might even make it a double espresso and really get bouncing off those walls :) Actually since I intend to skip the sugar :eek: I'd better not

Katie1723 Feb 27, '06 3:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckyann2597
I googled a search for "catholic fast guidelines" and found this
http://www.nwicatholic.com/lenten_guidelines.htm

good link...Thanks. As a revert, I want to be sure and do things right.

Kathy ~

puzzleannie Feb 27, '06 4:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtails
Does anyone know if coffee is considered okay on ash wendesday and good friday? DH and I think maybe not because it is somewhat of an "extravagence". Same thing with pop.

As for liquids, what's okay and what's not?? :confused:

it is not a matter of "extravagence" but of what is considered food. Liquids outside the two small meals and one main meal can be anything that is not food, tea, coffee, water, club soda, probably diet pop. Sugared drinks are probably considered food, as would be protein shakes, shakes intended to be meal replacements. Soup would be a food.

don't get hung up on the details, work on the attitude toward fasting encouraged by yesterday's liturgy readings. If the mentality is "what can I get away with" the fast will have little or no value penitentially or spiritually.

the article in NW Indy Catholic is great because it links Lent and the penitential practices with the preparation of the catechumens for the rites of Christian Initiation. It also makes the point that this is something we do as a community.

bobtails Feb 27, '06 6:56 am

Okay, I am confused again. After reading the webpage suggested above, I have a few questions.

Fasting, one meal or two small meals? I thought it was just one.

It said, "in the fast of the early Church, the fast began upon rising. No meals were taken until the customary work day ended at approximately 5 p.m. A glass of juice may be taken in the morning and simple liquids during the day, e.g., water, coffee, tea. The fast ends with a brief prayer, followed by an adequate meal. For many this may work as a more natural way to fast." Is this a guideline or the way to do it?

I'm not looking for things I can get away with. I just need clear guidelines for what is okay and what is not. Coffee, okay. GREAT! :thumbsup: I thought the fasting was 24 hours with one meal. Is that right or wrong? :confused:

river444 Feb 27, '06 7:03 am

How can sugary drinks be considered food?

mercygate Feb 27, '06 7:05 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Knight
What about sodas?

In the Confraternity of Penitents, sodas are not permitted between meals. We may have tea, coffee or juice.

alaskaaggies Feb 27, '06 7:08 am

I've always undersood fasting to be one full meal per day and if needed, two smaller ones that, when put together, DO NOT equal a full meal.

mari319 Feb 27, '06 7:08 am

A little off-topic (sorry:o ), but does anyone know the "rules" about fasting if you're a nursing mother? Or have any suggestions on how to do it and still get enough nutrition for the baby?

Thanks!

bluehen Feb 27, '06 7:39 am

If you're a nursing mother, you have a medical reason why you don't have to fast. Nursing mothers need the extra calories each day for their baby's health.

It's not that you can't fast if you want to, but nursing mothers would have a medical exception, I think. Other penances could be substituted in such a case.

mari319 Feb 27, '06 8:17 am

Thanks. I had wondered about that. I'll try to find something else to do on those days. :)

jman507 Feb 27, '06 8:31 am

I'm kinda lost on what to do. I have End Stage Renal Failure & I'm on dailysis. I don't know really what to do. I'm rather healthy and you wouldn't know I have any of these problems if you saw me. Right now, I usually need a lot of protien, but those numbers are ok now. Also I can get anemic with low iron, but right now those numbers are high. I think I'd be ok to fit into the group that doesn't need to give up meat for medical reasons, but at the same time, I think I'd be just fine if I did. But if I do, don't think I'm getting off easy, I have many restrictions on my diet right now. LOL I'll probably end up asking my pastor, but I'd like to get a few ideas.

LilyM Feb 27, '06 8:40 am

Talk to your doctors as well as your pastor - let them guide you as to what you should be doing to stay healthy.

I'm praying for your illness though - it must be pretty tough.