Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   CA Book Club: 2014 (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   CAF Study of Sacrosanctum Concilium? (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=251863)

japhy Jul 7, '08 2:07 pm

CAF Study of Sacrosanctum Concilium?

Is this forum a suitable and acceptable place to have a study of Sacrosanctum Concilium (pursuant to the suggestion of the Holy Father)? It would be formatted like a Bible study: we'd go through the document paragraph-by-paragraph (or a couple paragraphs at a time) and talk about it, ask questions, seek answers, etc. Or is this something that is better relegated to a blog or some other specifically-designed web site?

Thunderbird Jul 7, '08 2:29 pm

Re: CAF Study of Sacrosanctum Concilium?

I think that would be a great idea. Since I'm a new Catholic and all, it'd be a great chance for me (and others like me) to get our hands dirty, so to speak. Certainly, it's better than trying to read it on my own.

Besides, I imagine there will be a LOT of threads started soon of people with questions about the Sacrosanctum Concilium... it's probably best if we just make it one thread.

Br. Rich SFO Jul 7, '08 2:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by japhy (Post 3896589)
Is this forum a suitable and acceptable place to have a study of Sacrosanctum Concilium (pursuant to the suggestion of the Holy Father)? It would be formatted like a Bible study: we'd go through the document paragraph-by-paragraph (or a couple paragraphs at a time) and talk about it, ask questions, seek answers, etc. Or is this something that is better relegated to a blog or some other specifically-designed web site?

Sure let's do it!

japhy Jul 7, '08 2:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO (Post 3896808)
Sure let's do it!

I'll wait to get started for another day or so, to see if any forum moderators pick up on this and would rather it be held elsewhere.

In the meantime, here is the relevant part of the Pope's homily from the closing Mass of the International Eucharistic Congress held in Canada last month:
"The Eucharist, gift of God for the Life of the World," this is the theme chosen for this latest International Eucharistic Congress. The Eucharist is our most beautiful treasure. It is the sacrament par excellence; it introduces us early into eternal life; it contains the whole mystery of our salvation; it is the source and summit of the action and of the life of the Church, as the Second Vatican Council recalled ("Sacrosanctum Concilium," No. 8).

It is, therefore, particularly important that pastors and faithful dedicate themselves permanently to furthering their knowledge of this great sacrament. Each one will thus be able to affirm his faith and fulfill ever better his mission in the Church and in the world, recalling that there is a fruitfulness of the Eucharist in his personal life, in the life of the Church and of the world. The Spirit of truth gives witness in your hearts; you also must give witness to Christ before men, as the antiphon states in the alleluia of this Mass. Participation in the Eucharist, then, does not distance us from our contemporaries; on the contrary, because it is the expression par excellence of the love of God, it calls us to be involved with all our brothers to address the present challenges and to make the planet a place where it is good to live.

"The Mystery of Faith": this is what we proclaim at every Mass. I would like everyone to make a commitment to study this great mystery, especially by revisiting and exploring, individually and in groups, the Council's text on the Liturgy, "Sacrosanctum Concilium," so as to bear witness courageously to the mystery. In this way, each person will arrive at a better grasp of the meaning of every aspect of the Eucharist, understanding its depth and living it with greater intensity. Every sentence, every gesture has its own meaning and conceals a mystery. I sincerely hope that this Congress will serve as an appeal to all the faithful to make a similar commitment to a renewal of Eucharistic catechesis, so that they themselves will gain a genuine Eucharistic awareness and will in turn teach children and young people to recognize the central mystery of faith and build their lives around it. I urge priests especially to give due honor to the Eucharistic rite, and I ask all the faithful to respect the role of each individual, both priest and lay, in the Eucharistic action. The liturgy does not belong to us: it is the Church's treasure.
I would recommend reading the whole homily before we start with our study. It will set the stage, so to speak.

Just Lurking Jul 7, '08 4:13 pm

Does anyone have any opinions on the book Liturgy: Sacrosanctum Concilium (Rediscovering Vatican II) by Rita Ferrone (see here)?

japhy Jul 7, '08 4:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Lurking (Post 3897238)
Does anyone have any opinions on the book Liturgy: Sacrosanctum Concilium (Rediscovering Vatican II) by Rita Ferrone (see here)?

I don't have that book, but I do have "An Abundance of Graces (Reflections on Sacrosanctum Concilium)" by Pamela Jackson, and I will gladly give it rave reviews.

Edit: From the reviews I've just read of the book you mentioned, it seems to cast the Roman Curia as the backwards-thinking bad guys and the Consilium as the enlightened good guys; I would suspect the author isn't pleased with the little changes we've seen during Ratzinger's pontificate.

Just Lurking Jul 7, '08 4:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by japhy (Post 3897349)
I don't have that book, but I do have "An Abundance of Graces (Reflections on Sacrosanctum Concilium)" by Pamela Jackson, and I will gladly give it rave reviews.

Thanks for the pointer - I will check it out!

japhy Jul 7, '08 5:33 pm

It would, of course, be convenient to have a link to the translations that will be used in the study!

Sacrosanctum Concilium, the Vatican II Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, is available at the Vatican's web site in nine languages. For this study, I'll be pasting the English translation, as well as making references to the official Latin original from time to time.

I will also be referring to the translation and notes found in the 1966 book "The Documents of Vatican II" (Fr. Walter M. Abbott, S.J., editor, and the Very Rev. Msgr. Joseph Gallagher, translation editor). The translation may differ at some points, and when it is especially poignant, I will make a note of that. The text also has commentary and notes which I will provide when it seems reasonable to do so.

If you would like a copy of the Vatican's English translation in MS Word format and ready for booklet-printing, you can get one from my web site here (although it appears to be down at the moment...). The document is formatted at 11" x 17" (ledger), so let your printer know that a) you want to print it in booklet form, and b) the DOCUMENT size is 11" x 17", but the PAPER size needs to be 8.5" x 11".

Br. Rich SFO Jul 7, '08 6:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Lurking (Post 3897238)

It's one opinion.

Br. Rich SFO Jul 7, '08 6:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by japhy (Post 3897644)
It would, of course, be convenient to have a link to the translations that will be used in the study!

Sacrosanctum Concilium, the Vatican II Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, is available at the Vatican's web site in nine languages. For this study, I'll be pasting the English translation, as well as making references to the official Latin original from time to time.

I will also be referring to the translation and notes found in the 1966 book "The Documents of Vatican II" (Fr. Walter M. Abbott, S.J., editor, and the Very Rev. Msgr. Joseph Gallagher, translation editor). The translation may differ at some points, and when it is especially poignant, I will make a note of that. The text also has commentary and notes which I will provide when it seems reasonable to do so.

If you would like a copy of the Vatican's English translation in MS Word format and ready for booklet-printing, you can get one from my web site here (although it appears to be down at the moment...). The document is formatted at 11" x 17" (ledger), so let your printer know that a) you want to print it in booklet form, and b) the DOCUMENT size is 11" x 17", but the PAPER size needs to be 8.5" x 11".

I will use both of Austin Flannery's translations as well as Walter Abbott's.

benedictgal Jul 7, '08 8:31 pm

Japhy, considering the fonts of misinformation and erroneous interpretations of the documents on the liturgy that constantly fly through these threads, your idea is a stroke of genius.

I, for one, am willing to join it this study. Furthermore, later on we might be able to look at the Holy Father's books on liturgy. Count me in your group!:thumbsup:

nightwalker Jul 7, '08 9:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benedictgal (Post 3898448)
Japhy, considering the fonts of misinformation and erroneous interpretations of the documents on the liturgy that constantly fly through these threads, your idea is a stroke of genius.

I, for one, am willing to join it this study. Furthermore, later on we might be able to look at the Holy Father's books on liturgy. Count me in your group!:thumbsup:

Ditto!

Br. Rich SFO Jul 8, '08 7:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benedictgal (Post 3898448)

The only problem I see would be that the thread may get lost in the forum. I had to look for it just now. It would be nice if there was a study forum with at most only 5 or 10 study specific threads going on at one time.

How about the Book Club Forum? There seems to be little traffic there.

japhy Jul 8, '08 7:52 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO (Post 3899868)
The only problem I see would be that the thread may get lost in the forum.

I don't have that problem, since I'm subscribed to every thread I participate in, but yes, people who aren't already in the thread might have trouble finding it if it's not active multiple times a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br. Rich SFO (Post 3899868)
How about the Book Club Forum? There seems to be little traffic there.

I'm fine with that, so long as anyone who's interested knows to look there!

Br. Rich SFO Jul 8, '08 8:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by japhy (Post 3899892)
I don't have that problem, since I'm subscribed to every thread I participate in, but yes, people who aren't already in the thread might have trouble finding it if it's not active multiple times a day.

I'm fine with that, so long as anyone who's interested knows to look there!

I'm a "low tech" user. Maybe this subscribe function will solve the problem? Which I just activated for this one. I'll see how that works. If it give me an Email link back to the thread, I'm good with that.