Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Liturgy and Sacraments (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Photographs from 2005 Los Angeles Religious Education Conference (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=42903)

GloriaPatri4 May 2, '05 12:22 pm

Re: Photographs from 2005 Los Angeles Religious Education Conference

Did anyone here attend the LA RE Conference?

Panis Angelicas May 2, '05 2:48 pm

Some of those photos were, I believe, taken from previous Catholic Education Conferences in LA. They look very familiar.

According to the website, the theme for 2005 was Awaken to Grace.
If I can post the pic properly, this is the logo for the conference:
http://www.recongress.org/logo/2005logo.jpg

Genesis315 May 2, '05 3:28 pm

Here is why this kind of stuff is bad according to Benedict XVI:

Quote:

Dancing is not a form of expression for the Christian liturgy. In about the third century, there was an attempt in certain Gnostic-Docetic circles to introduce it into the liturgy. For these people, the Crucifixion was only an appearance. . . . Dancing could take the place of the liturgy of the Cross, because, after all, the Cross was only an appearance. The cultic dances of the different religions have different purposes - incantation, imitative magic, mystical ecstasy - none of which is compatible with the essential purpose of the liturgy as the "reasonable sacrifice". It is totally absurd to try to make the liturgy "attractive" by introducing dancing pantomimes (wherever possible performed by professional dance troupes), which frequently (and rightly, from the professionals' point of view) end with applause. Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. Such attraction fades quickly - it cannot compete in the market of leisure pursuits, incorporating as it increasingly does various forms of religious titillation.

This action of God, which takes place through human speech, is the real "action" for which all creation is in expectation. The elements of the earth are transubstantiated, pulled, so to speak, from their creaturely anchorage, grasped at the deepest ground of their being, and changed into the Body and Blood of the Lord. The New Heaven and the New Earth are anticipated. The real "action" in the liturgy in which we are all supposed to participate is the action of God himself. This is what is new and distinctive about the Christian liturgy: God himself acts and does what is essential.

The Hidden Life May 2, '05 4:37 pm

Sheesh. I'm glad that at least I live in a relatively poor parish where we don't have money for these kinds of outrageous extravagant heresies!

The pictures remind me of the temple scene in "Conan the Barbarian" where the snake priestesses were whirling around getting ready to jump off into the giant snake pit.

Fast_ed75 May 2, '05 6:00 pm

http://www.recongress.org/2005/pix/s...d_MVC-831S.jpg
http://www.recongress.org/2005/pix/s...d_MVC-787S.jpg
The Saturday Young Adult "Eucharistic Celebration"

Elzee May 2, '05 6:14 pm

Can someone who knows how to cut/paste these pics send them to Pope Benedict's email at the Vatican? I know he may never see it, but maybe somebody who cares will....... Do you think they REALLY know what's going on over here in some places??? God help us.

ridesawhitehors May 2, '05 6:17 pm

Is that Shania Twain?

tcreek1 May 2, '05 6:26 pm

These pictures remind me of . . .

Liturgical Dance Notes by Mary Margaret Milbrath

Balletic slim with gently nubile curves

And sweetly graced extensions of long limbs--

They sway, step, bend to syncopated hymns.

Their mothers beam. How well, they think, dance serves

God's glory (and their own) in finer style

Than old processions jumbled full of tots,

White-veiled and bumptious, tasting nuns' DO NOTs,

Surging off center down the middle aisle.

Lord, as You look on such eclectic prayer,

Such very now liturgic elegance

With its proponents all quite blind to where

It self-creates less happy circumstance,

Hold tight and tenderly within Your care

Little fat girls who won't be asked to dance.

Or better still, this . . .

The Second Coming by WB Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Fast_ed75 May 2, '05 6:27 pm

The sad thing about the whole ordeal is that Cdl. Mahony actually knows he is illicitly allowing dance and consecrated the hosts in a
wicker basket. I remember when he put out some heterodoxy "Gather Faithfully" or something advocating community meal ect- Mother Angelica called him out on it. He went berserk and tried to get her off the air. About the same time she was miraculously healed of some deformity (I cant remember exactly).

bluerose May 2, '05 6:47 pm

Shucks, I was expecting to see Garth Brooks come swinging down from the rafters! Or maybe he was just he choreographer...?

Wait a minute! Did you say this was a MASS!!??!?!?

BlueRose

Fast_ed75 May 2, '05 7:11 pm

Father Malachi Martin on Cardinal Mahony in 1997:

On the testimony of competent observers from all over North and South America as well as from Europe and from official Rome itself, the regime of His Eminence, Cardinal Mahony, has been marked by a steady de-Romanization and de-Catholicization of the once flourishing Los Angeles archdiocese.
Many priests, nuns, bishops--under His Eminence's jurisdiction--are not espousing the teaching of the Church. They follow another agenda. Under the guise of the "Spirit of Vatican II" as a catch-all for any whim and capric, there occur unauthorized liturgical innovations (for example: standing during the Consecration, omission of parts of the Mass, "liturgical" dancing, invalid bread used for Holy Communion, etc.etc.). There are rampant spiritual and canonical abuses (general absolution in place of individual confession, the use of an invalid formula for absolution, First Communion before First Reconciliation for children as the norm, sex education for children that is designed to rob them of their innocence, the pouring of Consecrated Wine down the waste faucets of bathrooms, etc.etc.). Church buildings are renovated on the basis of Environment and Art in Catholic Worship" But this document was never approved by the National Conferences of Catholic Bishops, and it reflects the personal ideas of certain individuals about whose faith one can have very legitimate doubts.

What observers remark is that an overall plan for radical change is being implemented-- but in small increments, without the overall goal being frankly and candidly stated. Many of these observers will aver that the not so obvious aim of all this change is the establishment of another non-Roman Catholic form of our Faith.

John_19_59 May 3, '05 2:37 am

Face it.

This IS the fruit of the Second Vatican Council.

This has been coming a long time.

We had a perfect Mass before VII, it had absolutely no need for reform. There is not one single good reason for it to have changed.

What was wrong with it?

I speak as a person who has never attended a Latin Mass in the time since the reforms took affect - ie. I attend Novus Ordo, but I long for the return of reverence in our worship.

From 1965 the Church opened its doors to confusion and abuse.

The smoke of Satan did indeed enter the sanctuary - as Pope Paul VI said.

The Church desperately needs a proper DOGMATIC council with condemnations of errors as at previous councils. A council that clearly defines Church teaching without loopholes - something that did not happen at VII.

Then we will see who assents or not.

Then we will see the sheep and the wolves.

St Michael defend us in the day of battle, be our safegauard against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.

Lord have mercy on us.

netmilsmom May 3, '05 4:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast_ed75
I remember when he put out some heterodoxy "Gather Faithfully" or something advocating community meal ect- Mother Angelica called him out on it. He went berserk and tried to get her off the air. About the same time she was miraculously healed of some deformity (I cant remember exactly).

I would love to read more about THAT!

Trelow May 3, '05 4:46 am

Lord have mercy.

contemplative May 3, '05 6:07 am

These pictures look crazy.