Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Spirituality (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Will we ever see the dead again? (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=505527)

Neithan Oct 21, '10 2:04 am

Will we ever see the dead again?
 
As believers we are ridiculed by atheists for clinging to faith for comfort, because the pain of knowing that we will never see our dead loved ones ever again is too much.

But is this true? Without our bodies, we can hardly say that we will see, hear or touch them again after our own death. And after the resurrection, everything will be changed: the relationship we knew on earth will not pick up where we left off; it really is 'dead' and gone forever.

We say “Rest in Peace,” but atheists can say the same thing: what more rest and peace is there than nonexistence (ask any Buddhist)!

Of course, we live with the hope that all our loving relationships will end in the joy of our communion with Christ; but in the meantime, we grieve a genuine loss.

Are non-believers right to say that our faith blunts the pain of a loved one's death, because we will “see them again soon”? Or is that merely a childish comfort and not really a part of the faith?

Totterman Oct 21, '10 5:47 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
Yes,we will.

Julian0404 Oct 21, '10 6:06 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
And as to the atheists and those who ridicule the faith, Padre Pio was accosted by a man who was strongly denying the existence of hell on the basis that he simply did not believe in such a place. Padre Pio simply told him, "you will, when you get there".

thistle Oct 21, '10 8:16 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neithan (Post 7185374)
As believers we are ridiculed by atheists for clinging to faith for comfort, because the pain of knowing that we will never see our dead loved ones ever again is too much.

But is this true? Without our bodies, we can hardly say that we will see, hear or touch them again after our own death. And after the resurrection, everything will be changed: the relationship we knew on earth will not pick up where we left off; it really is 'dead' and gone forever.

We say “Rest in Peace,” but atheists can say the same thing: what more rest and peace is there than nonexistence (ask any Buddhist)!

Of course, we live with the hope that all our loving relationships will end in the joy of our communion with Christ; but in the meantime, we grieve a genuine loss.

Are non-believers right to say that our faith blunts the pain of a loved one's death, because we will “see them again soon”? Or is that merely a childish comfort and not really a part of the faith?

The atheists will feel silly when they stand before God.

on_eagles_wingz Oct 21, '10 1:33 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
There are a lot of stories of people who have died and have seen loved ones that were deceased. These are called near death experiences or NDE's for short. They are experienced by children too. Some see angels. Some even claim to have seen heaven or hell. Scientists try to explain it away as just chemicals in our brain but they cannot explain a lot of things like how someone was able to know something after they came back to life that they could not have know before they died. For example some were able to describe in detail what the doctors were doing and saying during the time of death. Others were able to relay messages from loved ones who were deceased, and the messages contain details that the person could not have known unless they really talked to the deceased loved one.

We have to accept the fact that there is more to this universe than what our eyes and ears can sense. Much much more.

jfmarm81 Oct 21, '10 4:58 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian0404 (Post 7185745)
And as to the atheists and those who ridicule the faith, Padre Pio was accosted by a man who was strongly denying the existence of hell on the basis that he simply did not believe in such a place. Padre Pio simply told him, "you will, when you get there".


God Bless Padre Pio.....

Bob Crowley Oct 21, '10 5:23 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian0404 (Post 7185745)
And as to the atheists and those who ridicule the faith, Padre Pio was accosted by a man who was strongly denying the existence of hell on the basis that he simply did not believe in such a place. Padre Pio simply told him, "you will, when you get there".

From what I've read about Padre Pio, he seemed to be very blunt. It wasn't much use going to confession with him, and trying to cover something up.

illmatic Oct 21, '10 5:54 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
The idea of paradise surely is that we shall be reunited with our Lord and with the faithful departed in a world without the wrongs of this one. Its hard to get your head round I think! I believe we will see the dead again though, that we will be reunited.

I also think there is a good chance that the non-faithful departed may be saved too.

Julian0404 Oct 22, '10 4:31 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by illmatic (Post 7188053)
The idea of paradise surely is that we shall be reunited with our Lord and with the faithful departed in a world without the wrongs of this one. Its hard to get your head round I think! I believe we will see the dead again though, that we will be reunited.

I also think there is a good chance that the non-faithful departed may be saved too.

You are a good person, but hoping against hope. If the bible is the inspired word of GOD, then it clearly tells us that unless we are baptized, believe, consume the BODY & BLOOD of JESUS, live by HIS commandments, love & forgive all, then we will NOT enter into the Kingdom of heaven.
Reread the story of the "Rich man and the poor man", and contemplate what Father Corapi is always telling us. "In the end we will either be in heaven or hell - period - forever!!! "
Now is the time to chose, and we chose with our prayers, our works, our actions, our thoughts, our words - - our existence. Do we love or not?

illmatic Oct 22, '10 4:59 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
That's pretty intimidating.

ConservativeOne Oct 23, '10 1:08 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
As a child, I was taught - if I'm remembering correctly - that our we would be happy just to know that loved ones had also been saved - if that will be the case. I've come to understand that. Perhaps, there will be an understanding within our souls - that we are where we are meant to be. There will no longer be the need for physical contact as on earth.

I am very distraught over the loss of loved ones - But, while I terribly miss their bodily presence HERE - it's not their body I'm worried about - it's their souls. Lately, I find myself telling people that the body is in the ground - decaying....and that doesn't bother me. It's what we know would happen. It's reality. It's their SOULS I'm worried about. So long as we get to Heaven, God willing my loved ones and myself, even if we don't see one another - I suppose part of Heavenly Peace is knowing that loved ones' Eternity will be spent with God.

Mark Roberto Oct 23, '10 5:58 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
As Saint Paul states, "we do not grieve as the pagans do having no hope" (paraphrase). Yes there is the grief of never seeing your deceased loved ones again in this life but our belief in the resurrection is not some wishful escapism from the bitterness of death's sting but rather the belief that physical death is but a door to a new beginning for those who die in Christ. Yes we will see our loved ones again not only resuming the relationships we had before but we will witness the strengthening and perfecting of those relationships in Christ.

mdgspencer Oct 23, '10 7:15 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Will we ever see the dead again? But we will see them with our own eyes after the resurrection of our bodies. But we can see in heaven without our bodies before the resurrection of our bodies. It is a fundamental Catholic belief that those in heaven see God--and see Him now even without bodily eyes. This obviously is seeing but another kind of seeing. We will see everyone there with such a seeing, and see parents, brothers, sisters, friends.
When we are in heaven we will have new relationships and some of the old ones with a new intensity. For example, we will see our guardian angels and I assume have show gratitude to them. We will see the saints that we as Catholic asked for help. We will have a new relationship with God. St. Paul said our faith will pass away when we die but our love will remain. And with all the rest we will see and love those we find there, see and love parents, brother, sisters, and friends.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Neithan (Post 7185374)
As believers we are ridiculed by atheists for clinging to faith for comfort, because the pain of knowing that we will never see our dead loved ones ever again is too much.

But is this true? Without our bodies, we can hardly say that we will see, hear or touch them again after our own death. And after the resurrection, everything will be changed: the relationship we knew on earth will not pick up where we left off; it really is 'dead' and gone forever.

We say “Rest in Peace,” but atheists can say the same thing: what more rest and peace is there than nonexistence (ask any Buddhist)!

Of course, we live with the hope that all our loving relationships will end in the joy of our communion with Christ; but in the meantime, we grieve a genuine loss.

Are non-believers right to say that our faith blunts the pain of a loved one's death, because we will “see them again soon”? Or is that merely a childish comfort and not really a part of the faith?


Epistemes Oct 23, '10 8:25 pm

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Live as if there is no resurrection, no heaven, no reward for righteous living.

I've always found St. Paul's logic somewhat skewed. What if there is no resurrection? Is that any real reason for anarchy or dissolute living? And what kind of Christian would answer "Yes" to that last question? The only reason you're Christian and attempt to live holistically is to possibly earn some reward? How shallow.

If Christ has been risen, then the general resurrection has begun, says Paul - but if the general resurrection hasn't begun, then Christ hasn't been risen. It's all based on faith. History nor science nor anything can prove the point of resurrection. We may believe through faith in the words of Scripture or interpret signs in nature in order to strengthen that faith, but it's still a gamble.

So what if there is a resurrection? Does that now mean that you can put off for tomorrow what should be done today? Can you now absolve yourself of treating your loved ones with such little care, attention or respect, thinking 'They will be around tomorrow, and tomorrow and then tomorrow and then in the resurrection'? Dying with dignity is not something we in the West are good at, and we're even worse at allowing our loved ones to pass.

You're wrong about Buddhists, though. Buddhists do not ascertain an afterlife or no afterlife. Some Buddhists, like Tibetans, believe in reincarnation. Regardless of what Buddhists believe about the afterlife, implicit in their philosophy is treating all life, human and non-human, with not only respect but compassion so that suffering is minimal. As a friend of mine once said, before he passed himself, life is too short to make enemies.

The Mass readings for the weekend advise us to reconsider our religious intentions. What is our intention for believing in the resurrection or heaven or hell? For many, it is indeed to soften the blow of death and offer hope, even consolation, perhaps even collusion. But our loved ones, whether they completely cease to exist and become worm food or are included in some mystical rapture at the end of time, are alive now, they feel pain and they need love. And it's love which will ultimately make us immortal.

EmeraldWings Oct 24, '10 5:43 am

Re: Will we ever see the dead again?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neithan (Post 7185374)
As believers we are ridiculed by atheists for clinging to faith for comfort, because the pain of knowing that we will never see our dead loved ones ever again is too much.

But is this true? Without our bodies, we can hardly say that we will see, hear or touch them again after our own death. And after the resurrection, everything will be changed: the relationship we knew on earth will not pick up where we left off; it really is 'dead' and gone forever.

We say “Rest in Peace,” but atheists can say the same thing: what more rest and peace is there than nonexistence (ask any Buddhist)!

Of course, we live with the hope that all our loving relationships will end in the joy of our communion with Christ; but in the meantime, we grieve a genuine loss.

Are non-believers right to say that our faith blunts the pain of a loved one's death, because we will “see them again soon”? Or is that merely a childish comfort and not really a part of the faith?

Not all Catholics or Christians have lost loved ones, so what's their excuse for them?

there is always going to be some kind of argument from atheists or otherwise about how we only believe in God for irrational or ridiculous reasons, but all in all, their disbelief is founded on even more faith than our belief is,
we believe greatly on reason and logic, whereas they believe largely on lack of proof or on unprovable theories,

and if anyone clings to their beliefs for comforts sake, it's atheists, after all, we're the ones called to take the long and narrow path, we're the ones called to take up our cross daily...to be a Catholic the way God tells us to be, it is not easy,
but non-Christians, and yes even many Christians as well, are taking the short broad path...which may seem easy and comfortable at first, but it never gives you peace, especially at the end of your life...

if these kinds of arguments against your faith are troubling you, then start reading up on why you're Catholic, and what your faith and beliefs are founded on,
try reading the writings of Saint Thomas Aquinas, which you can read for free online - http://www.op.org/summa/
and there is also an easier "shorter summa" which you can get here - www.tanbooks.com

alright, hope this helps, take care


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:31 am.


Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.