Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Spirituality (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   When you pray the Hail Holy Queen... (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=53553)

Genesis315 May 2, '05 2:23 pm

When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
When you pray the Hail Holy Queen do you say "vale of tears" or "valley of tears"?

LoneRanger May 2, '05 2:38 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
.........for as long as i can remember, it was vale of tears.. then somewhere along the line it became valley of tears... so i am not sure weather it was valley all the time and i just had it wrong, or if it indeed had changed sometime ago....

http://www.catholicsupply.com/existi...holyqueen.html

Joseph Bilodeau May 2, '05 3:11 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
You mean it's not an alley of tears? ;)

I say valley.

Aurelia May 2, '05 4:04 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
In my old (pre-Council) St. Joseph Missal it's translated from the Latin as "valley." The Latin version says "valle" ("...in hac lacrimarum valle") Incidentally, in Latin, the prayer rhymes.

jrabs May 3, '05 7:24 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I guess I like valley better because I've got a whole lot of them some days.

space ghost May 3, '05 9:05 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabs
I guess I like valley better because I've got a whole lot of them some days.

:hmmm: you ok?

....i hope so....:thumbsup:

msproule May 3, '05 10:08 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelia
In my old (pre-Council) St. Joseph Missal it's translated from the Latin as "valley." The Latin version says "valle" ("...in hac lacrimarum valle") Incidentally, in Latin, the prayer rhymes.

"Valle" can mean either valley or vale. Since vale is more closely related to the Latin origins (the spelling valley is the "Anglicanized" version) perhaps vale is the correct word to use. However, I first read it as valley, so that is what I have always used.

Church Militant May 3, '05 10:29 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabs
I guess I like valley better because I've got a whole lot of them some days.

Amen sister Jen! You ain't by yourself in that! I say Valley as well. Doesn't Vale come from the Latin for Valley anyway?

DustinsDad May 3, '05 10:33 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis315
When you pray the Hail Holy Queen do you say "vale of tears" or "valley of tears"?

I've always said valley...I'm a guy, so I guess I don't like the idea of wearing a vale ;)

DustinsDad

Aurelia May 3, '05 10:37 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
valles (or vallis), -is, feminine, 3rd declension
ablative form, valle -- a vale, valley
(Follett' s Classical Latin Dictionary)

So what IS the difference between a vale and a valley?

Joseph Bilodeau May 3, '05 11:32 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelia
...So what IS the difference between a vale and a valley?

The letters "l" and "y"

msproule May 3, '05 10:54 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
This is interesting, taken from Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

vale
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Old French val, from Latin valles, vallis; perhaps akin to Latin volvere to roll -- more at VOLUBLE
1 : VALLEY, DALE
2 : WORLD <this vale of tears>

...and from UsingEnglish.com:

Idiom: Vale of tearsMEANING:
  • This vale of tears is the world and the suffering that life brings.

I guess that settles it.

antiaphrodite May 4, '05 2:10 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
i say valley.

romano May 4, '05 3:42 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
i say vale. it's more euphonious.

Aureole May 4, '05 6:42 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I've said vale, however I more often say valley now. That's only because those who pray with me say valley though;)

ames61 May 5, '05 5:18 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
We are blessed to have chanted Night Prayer and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament on Tuesdays at our parish, at the close of which we sing the Salve Regina in Latin, so I've had the chance to learn that. So mostly I sing that under my breath when I pray the Hail Holy Queen.

Annunciata May 10, '05 4:33 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I have always prayed valley of tears though in some old prayer books, etc. I've seen it written vale.

happycamper May 10, '05 7:13 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I always say vale of tears.


It reminds me , if not correct though, a vail of tears. A vail of tears covering my face out of sorrow of sins..

I like all the responses. thanks.

RoBo_Hobo May 10, '05 9:05 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I learned the Rosary off of VirtualRosary, on VirtualRosary it says Valley of Tears, so I have always said Valley of Tears

DustinsDad May 10, '05 9:40 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoBo_Hobo
I learned the Rosary off of VirtualRosary, on VirtualRosary it says Valley of Tears, so I have always said Valley of Tears

That's an EXCELLENT program (free download) if anybody's unfamiliar with it. Great for folks on the computer alot.

http://www.virtualrosary.org/

DustinsDad

Genesis315 May 10, '05 9:44 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinsDad
That's an EXCELLENT program (free download) if anybody's unfamiliar with it. Great for folks on the computer alot.

http://www.virtualrosary.org/

DustinsDad

I agree. The pictures and Scripture verses for each Hail Mary are great. Plus, you can't beat the background music.:thumbsup:

slinky1882 May 11, '05 5:28 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I have to go with Valley of Tears with the times in life and how the valley catches the the tears as the raindrops often. Thanks and God Bless.

drforjc May 12, '05 7:29 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I seem to fluctuate between the two randomly. Not sure why.

starrs0 May 12, '05 12:24 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
would it be alright to pray this form?:

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy; you bore our life, our sweetness and our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To you do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious Advocate, your eyes of mercy toward us. And after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Amen

silverwings_88 May 13, '05 4:21 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aureole
I've said vale, however I more often say valley now. That's only because those who pray with me say valley though;)

Me too! I always want to go out of the norm :p...


I actually always said 'vale' as opposed to 'valley,' and when I prayed the rosary with other people, it was so unusual to me to hear 'valley' come out of their lips. Indeed now, I say 'valley' more often.

water May 15, '07 2:20 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I use "valley". :)

Trelow May 15, '07 2:51 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I lernt it vale, I pray it vale.

RSulli May 16, '07 9:08 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by msproule (Post 638379)
"Valle" can mean either valley or vale. Since vale is more closely related to the Latin origins (the spelling valley is the "Anglicanized" version) perhaps vale is the correct word to use. However, I first read it as valley, so that is what I have always used.

Thank you! I learned the Hail Holy Queen in the 40's and the dear Dominican Sisters taught "vale". I have stood my ground and say "vale" to this day. Of course we learned latin as freshman in HS. Its Hard for an old dog to learn new tricks.

ASimpleSinner May 16, '07 9:31 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
When I first learned it as a child I thought it was "veil" of tears. As a kid I took it to mean we were enshrouded in sadness.

Kinda like those kids who first learn the US Pledge of Allegiance who thought the words were "I lead the pigeons to the flag."

Though when I think about it, I kinda got it right as a kid.

Simple

RSulli May 16, '07 9:48 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Yes. like A,B,C...L LEMON P er I guess.

ASimpleSinner May 16, '07 9:50 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSulli (Post 2228910)
Yes. like A,B,C...L LEMON P er I guess.

My aunt confessed to believing, as a child, that Roy Orbison was singing "Phony Baloney" instead of "Only the Lonely".

I can't NOT "hear" her lyrics when I hear that song as a result.

Debra C May 17, '07 3:17 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Vale is merely an older and more poetic version of the word valley to begin with. As a new Catholic I am not too set in my ways, so I tend to go along with whichever way the group I'm praying with does it. I typically say valley when praying the rosry alone, because it is a more familiar sounding word to me.

As for Phony Baloney... my oldest daughter used to love spaghetti and meatballs and ordered it every time we took her out for dinner. She always asked for "Porridge" which we had to translate to Parmesan Cheese. And, my five year old once thought that the Hail Mary was about swimming... because she heard 'Blessed are you among swimmin' instead of 'Blessed are you amongst women.'

ASimpleSinner May 17, '07 4:03 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra C (Post 2231709)
my five year old once thought that the Hail Mary was about swimming... because she heard 'Blessed are you among swimmin' instead of 'Blessed are you amongst women.'

Of course she'd be blessed among swimmin' women also....

I later learned that it was "vale" (valley) when I was a teenager... but I think I went all through gradeschool thinking it was "veil" as in "Shroud of tears"....

wjp984 May 18, '07 2:13 am

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I guess I wasn't wrong after all for thinking it was vale. Everyone says valley so I just assumed I memorized the prazyer wrong on that one word and it must have been valley and not vale. Now I'm confused ever more now since at least when I thought I was wrong I had no problem saying valley like everyone else. Now since I like to be stubborn I might just go back to vale.

Jaypeeto3 May 18, '07 1:24 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I say "valley" because "vale" doesn't make any sense to me.

Dr_M May 22, '07 4:33 pm

Re: When you pray the Hail Holy Queen...
 
I've always known it to be valley, thus I pray using the word valley :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:35 pm.


Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.