Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Popular Media (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Movie: Priest (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=537510)

Redbaron998 Feb 20, '11 11:38 am

Movie: Priest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinWQiv2rVc

Here we go again, just when the dust settled and everyone agreed that "The Rite" wasnt bad or at least didnt bash the Church, we have another one coming down the pipe.

From the looks of the video we have a future (That looks alot like Judge Dredd) that the futuristic Catholic Church (< Awesome) is promonent and apparently the protector of humanity from evil vampire hordes.

(I want to take a moment out to say FINALLY some movie director finally had the gaul to unleash some holy fury on those twilight freaks)

Well heres hoping it isnt anti-Catholic...the trailor says its based off a graphic novel, is anyone familiar with it?

Watchman Feb 20, '11 12:30 pm

Re: Movie: Priest

If it sticks even remotely close to the source material, we're not going to like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_%28manhwa%29

Sorry...

I_R Feb 21, '11 9:10 am

i don't know anything about the source material, but what i can see from imdb is that there is a priestess in it. also, i am 99% sure that this movie is going to suck

PiousTemplar Sep 19, '11 2:37 am

They added priestesses to keep the left wingers happy.

Darran Sep 19, '11 3:18 am

There isn't ever going to be a film made with the intention of earning money and reputation that won't suck.

Not that all producers and directors are absolutely money thirsty, but do you think they are willing to lose their reputation and careers like John Caviezel and Mel Gibson did with The Passion?

A film has to be heretical or cast the Church in a bad light or people won't watch it. Even if the substance of the film was the same, but all heresy and incorrect Church doctrine was removed or corrected and the Church was put at least on equal grounds, people wouldn't want it. Such is the devil's control over people, it's difficult for some people to see or understand heresy, but when it is put on a plate with a choice, they are always able to distinguish it and choose it. Why is that exactly? The world isn't as ignorant as it would like to seem, heresy is what it wants and it will die in it if it wants.

God forgive the film makers.

MattAE Sep 25, '11 3:19 pm

I watched this last night with my wife, just to see what sorts of things they would distort. Wasn't disappointed. Here's my review, if anyone's interested. :)

http://www.anytimeevangelize.com/201...review-priest/

------

Anytime Evangelize

We cannot keep to ourselves the words of eternal life given to us in our encounter with Jesus Christ: they are meant for everyone, for every man and woman. ... It is our responsibility to pass on what, by God's grace, we ourselves have received."
- Pope Benedict XVI

RyanK Sep 26, '11 1:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattAE (Post 8400203)
I watched this last night with my wife, just to see what sorts of things they would distort. Wasn't disappointed. Here's my review, if anyone's interested. :)

http://www.anytimeevangelize.com/201...review-priest/

------

Anytime Evangelize

We cannot keep to ourselves the words of eternal life given to us in our encounter with Jesus Christ: they are meant for everyone, for every man and woman. ... It is our responsibility to pass on what, by God's grace, we ourselves have received."
- Pope Benedict XVI

Awesome review! I fully agree! :D

MattAE Sep 26, '11 6:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanK (Post 8403158)
Awesome review! I fully agree! :D

Hey, thanks! :thumbsup:

------

Anytime Evangelize

- Pope Benedict XVI

PatrickSanDiego Feb 21, '12 11:13 pm

"Priest" is so anti-catholic it's almost comical.They go way overboard. I mean, there are so many blatant swipes at Catholicism.

One not really noticed: When the travelling salesman is selling the fradulent "anti-vampire" potion to the townfolk, if you freeze-frame the DVD as the Sherriff shoots the bottle away, the banner in the background reads something like: "Holy Water, Saint's Bones, Relics,..." then on the other side of the banner, "Magic crystals, etc." It gets really bad. And, that's other than the obvious.

You know what the sad part is? I'll just say a relative of mine up in Hollywood worked on it. Even he thought it was a worthless movie.

Tenofovir Feb 22, '12 2:16 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchman (Post 7578724)
If it sticks even remotely close to the source material, we're not going to like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_%28manhwa%29

Sorry...

You're doing it wrong. You're expecting real religion in a mass entertainment movie which is using the Church as a gimmick. It would be like trying to learn about physics from a James Bond movie or chemistry from MacGuyver or learn about Egyptology from the movie, The Mummy.

I tend to skip these films because they will be blasphemous to some degree, also they're junk with no redeeming value. It's a guy who instead of using a gun uses a cross etc. Watch it if you will but don't expect fairness or honesty or fact.

Tenofovir Feb 22, '12 2:22 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickSanDiego (Post 8991239)

You know what the sad part is? I'll just say a relative of mine up in Hollywood worked on it. Even he thought it was a worthless movie.

Most anti-religious garbage on mainstream TV comes from Hollywood. This is typical of Hollywood. Hence I would be happy if they just went bankrupt. At least in an anime series you have people discussing theoretical physics but not dissing religion, even speaking of God as though they know God exists. Most anti-religious garbage is Anglophone. Even non Christian foreigners don't do such stuff. Holy water usually works in anime shows.

Chaplain777 Feb 26, '12 8:17 pm

I wonder if this is becoming a pattern for actor Paul Bettnay. He did the movie Legion recently where, he, the lone angel decides that God got it wrong so he decides to take matters into his own hands...or in this case....wings.I get the feeling this lack of respect is going to become more and more blatant. I have seen articles about a new ABC TV show about southern women called GCB....Good Christian B (derogatory)...:mad: I don't know what the show is really about but I don't like the title at ALL!!!

Publisher Feb 27, '12 4:45 pm

I bet GCB's will be a hit if they can get the sponsors.....I looked at the test on the GCB website....I've attended church meetings in my day...especially well-to-do congregations in the South and saw all the "characters"....The "Eyes of Tammy Faye" gives a good description of TBN's pink or blue or purple haired Jan Couch.....she's a hoot....can't watch more than just a few minutes of her...but I've been in church groups where she was the "model".....I like "Betty Bowerm America's best Christian" too...the fictional "Landover Baptist Church" lady.

In poor taste to be sure....but too much truth in it to ignore.:shrug:

Chaplain777 Feb 27, '12 6:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publisher (Post 9012479)
I bet GCB's will be a hit if they can get the sponsors.....I looked at the test on the GCB website....I've attended church meetings in my day...especially well-to-do congregations in the South and saw all the "characters"....The "Eyes of Tammy Faye" gives a good description of TBN's pink or blue or purple haired Jan Couch.....she's a hoot....can't watch more than just a few minutes of her...but I've been in church groups where she was the "model".....I like "Betty Bowerm America's best Christian" too...the fictional "Landover Baptist Church" lady.

In poor taste to be sure....but too much truth in it to ignore.:shrug:

Still it's disrespectful and as you say....in poor taste.

Brightest_Star Mar 4, '12 9:26 pm

I think it's kind of funny to speculate what 'the future of the Catholic Church will look like'. Since Mass is the same all around the world and has been for ages I'm going to go with a wild guess here and say... it's going to be the same as it is, and has been.

The pew seats may become more comfortable.... perhaps.

As for Priests and vampires? You lost me. You can't put those two things in a movie and expect realism.

Still, I'll probably watch it. Just for kicks :coffeeread: