Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Traditional Catholicism (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   going to a catholic church for the first time? (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=585989)

Chuck1 Aug 2, '11 10:56 am

going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Hi I'm just thinking is it normal to be a little scared going to a catholic church for the first time, I still dunno what to except ?

Cat Aug 2, '11 11:08 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1 (Post 8195611)
Hi I'm just thinking is it normal to be a little scared going to a catholic church for the first time, I still dunno what to except ?

It's normal to be a little scared going to anything for the first time.

Are you attending a Latin Mass or a Mass in your language?

We really can't tell you what to expect in great detail because we don't know what kind of Mass you will be attending, or whether it will be done in a liturgically-correct setting.

Most Catholic Masses that I have attended are very correct. There is generally silence in the church before and after the Mass begins, so don't think that everyone is just being unfriendly.

If I were you, I would just observe the first time. You may pray any of the prayers, you may kneel,stand, and sit, and you may sing the songs. But you may not receive Holy Communion if you are not a Catholic.

Don't worry about what anyone else at the Mass thinks of you. Believe me, no one is thinking bad things about you because you are new. Most people are very nice!

Enjoy and learn!

KarenElissa Aug 2, '11 11:08 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1 (Post 8195611)
Hi I'm just thinking is it normal to be a little scared going to a catholic church for the first time, I still dunno what to except ?

Sure, I think most of us are at least a bit nervous before we go into unknown circumstances. And we won't talk about how many times I drove around the block before going in for the first time.

The thing to remember is that you are always most welcome to join us. And even if you feel like you stick out like a sore thumb, I can promise you don't. Most Catholic churches have quite a variety of people, from those who are there every week, those who come occasionally, out of town visitors, and new people, so most likely you aren't the only "new" person around.

Just go and soak in the experience. :D

Pax1972 Aug 2, '11 11:53 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1 (Post 8195611)
Hi I'm just thinking is it normal to be a little scared going to a catholic church for the first time, I still dunno what to except ?


First of all, congratulations!

I don't know if you come from another faith background, or not, but, as a former protestant, I can relate to your trepidation.

It's been over 10 years since I was received into the Church and I still feel a little nervous at times. I can tell you without hesitation, though, that the peace and fulfillment I've been blessed to experience through the grace of God far outweigh any feelings of fear or uncertainty I've ever experienced.

You can expect to witness the most beautiful and truly meaningful "worship service" you've ever witnessed.

You can expect to feel somewhat self-conscious since you aren't familiar with the liturgy (and the fact that you posted your question indicates you are).

BUT, you can also expect to not be judged or given strange looks by others due to your unfamiliarity/uncertainty. Chances are, the only person who will be aware of that is you.

IF you comprehend even a fraction of the beauty and true meaning of the Mass, you can expect to be hungry for more!

Again, congratulations! I pray that you will be blessed by your first Mass and that you will, indeed, hunger for more.

Peace

Ben F Aug 2, '11 12:14 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Christ is calling you to his supper, and you said yes. That makes you special. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy Convert Aug 2, '11 12:33 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Hello My Friend:

I see from your description of your faith that you have a Baptist background, at least in part. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by just how spiritually/scripturally based the Mass really is. Having also come from a Baptist background, I know I was. As these other folks have said, it's probably better to watch and learn in the beginning and then gradually begin to participate in the Mass as you begin to feel more comfortable. Just don't as I did when I reasoned that baptism in a Protestant Church makes one eligible for Catholic Communion. It doesn't! The priest soon kindly, yet firmly disabused me of that notion. Awkward! :blush:

God Bless you

Stjudeprayforus Aug 2, '11 1:00 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben F (Post 8195982)
Christ is calling you to his supper, and you said yes. That makes you special. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

blanc10 Aug 2, '11 6:37 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben F (Post 8195982)
Christ is calling you to his supper, and you said yes. That makes you special. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is exactly whats happening!

Don't be nervous. Unlike many places you go to, the church wants you to go and welcomes you with open arms. The great thing about being new is the fact that you just do what everyone else does and if you don't, don't worry about it. People realize that some people are curious or are new to Catholicism and they will understand. No one will force you to do something that you don't want to do, so don't worry about it. The only thing that you shouldn't do is get in line when everyone leaves their pew and lines up, but other than that, you should be fine.

God loves your bravery in trying to figure out everything, so don't worry about offending him during mass.

Welcome! :thumbsup:

ProspectCard Aug 3, '11 3:43 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1 (Post 8195611)
Hi I'm just thinking is it normal to be a little scared going to a catholic church for the first time, I still dunno what to except ?

I'm a little confused by your posts. In an earlier post you stated this:

"Hi , im not a formal catholic because im baptised in a baptist church but i go to a catholic church aswell and follow that catholic traditions and my aunties catholic but anyway i was just wondering if i can pray the rosary because i think its a great idea !
also do you think i can take it to school ? "

You state that you "dunno what to except" for the first time, yet earlier you stated that you go to a Catholic Church. In another post you state that you are baptized in the Baptist Church, yet later you say you are going to be baptized in the Baptist Church in the future.

Please clarify as you have many contradictory posts, thank you.

PrayRosary Aug 3, '11 4:02 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben F (Post 8195982)
Christ is calling you to his supper, and you said yes. That makes you special. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This.

TrueLight Aug 3, '11 8:49 pm

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProspectCard (Post 8200864)
I'm a little confused by your posts. In an earlier post you stated this:

"Hi , im not a formal catholic because im baptised in a baptist church but i go to a catholic church aswell and follow that catholic traditions and my aunties catholic but anyway i was just wondering if i can pray the rosary because i think its a great idea !
also do you think i can take it to school ? "

You state that you "dunno what to except" for the first time, yet earlier you stated that you go to a Catholic Church. In another post you state that you are baptized in the Baptist Church, yet later you say you are going to be baptized in the Baptist Church in the future.

Please clarify as you have many contradictory posts, thank you.

Very true.

Chuck1 Aug 4, '11 3:43 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueLight (Post 8201987)
Very true.

Well what I ment was, I do go to a baptist church but want to go to a catholic church , I have been to a catholic church before but it was a while ago and can't really remember it and I am soon going to be baptised into the church I goto now but I can't be asked to explain it again so u get the gist

TrueLight Aug 4, '11 4:19 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck1 (Post 8202956)
Well what I ment was, I do go to a baptist church but want to go to a catholic church , I have been to a catholic church before but it was a while ago and can't really remember it and I am soon going to be baptised into the church I goto now but I can't be asked to explain it again so u get the gist

It just makes it easier to give you advice that is more likeky to be correct advice, when you are consistent.

If you are about to be baptized, but are not yet baptized, just say so in your posts. Don't say you are baptized.

If you attended Catholic church a long time ago, say so. Don't say you have never been to a Catholic church.

By the way, in approximately how long from now will you be baptized?
When are you going to attend mass?
Also, are you very young?

paperwight66 Aug 4, '11 8:05 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Well, he's under 18 at least, because he refers to school, and in the UK, that means under 18/19.

He does come over as younger.

Chuck1 Aug 4, '11 9:30 am

Re: going to a catholic church for the first time?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueLight (Post 8203012)
It just makes it easier to give you advice that is more likeky to be correct advice, when you are consistent.

If you are about to be baptized, but are not yet baptized, just say so in your posts. Don't say you are baptized.

If you attended Catholic church a long time ago, say so. Don't say you have never been to a Catholic church.

By the way, in approximately how long from now will you be baptized?
When are you going to attend mass?
Also, are you very young?

Oaky , well I went to mass once a while ago but it was difftent form normal mass cuz it was a first commuion and I am be baptised at my baptist church soon not sure when but sometime over the summer , the priest is away at the moment so I will go when he gets back within the next couple of weeks and I am 15 year of age


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 am.


Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.