Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Traditional Catholicism (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Brown Scapular question (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=647854)

zenith15 Feb 21, '12 10:06 pm

Brown Scapular question

After being enrolled in the Brown Scapular confraternity, I know it says we should never remove the scapular. Surely though, we can remove it for bathing?

Peggy in Burien Feb 22, '12 12:03 am

Re: Brown Scapular question

When I was young, I always took it off before going to bed, and hung it on the bedpost. My Mom always suggested that we take them off before bathing and showering.

Now that I am older, I cannot wear it around my neck anymore, as anything worn around my neck (even my MedicAlert tag) causes me to have skin growths on my neck. So, when I switched to a bracelet for the MedicAlert tag, I started to wear my scapular folded up in my bra, or attached to my bra strap. If you are a guy, I'm sure you could put it in your pocket.

There should be no superstitions attached to keeping it on all the time, even when you wash. It is what is in your heart that counts.

svid2 Feb 22, '12 12:18 am

While I don't have a brown scapular (yet), I've heard it's okay to simply have it about you, like in your wallet.

willofgods Feb 22, '12 1:18 am

I can't speak with authority on the subject, but considering the origin of the scapular (it used to be a full garment/habit/robe) it would not have been feasible for the first "scapular" wearers to try to bathe with it! Many would have caught cold and been unable to fulfill their duties or perhaps worse!

Plus, some lower-price scapulars have paper that would definitely ruin the scapular right away. Even pricier ones would eventually get ruined.

You wear it in your heart, and it is from your heart that you must never remove it. :)

figs Feb 22, '12 1:47 am

I agree very strongly with Willofgods.

Yes, you should wear it devoutly as a reminder of how you should live your life, worthy of the protection of Our Lady's mantle.

Some wear it while bathing, some while sleeping, I never have and was told it wasn't nescesary.
It is about what is in your heart, how you live you life & your devotion to Our Mother.

Remember to pray your daily prayers associated with the scapular, whether it be the Little Office or the Rosary. The prayer IS very important, not to be forgotten.

God Bless

Leon Bloy Feb 22, '12 6:53 am

It's OK to remove it briefly for any good reason, including bathing. You will not lose the blessings and benefits.

Laudate Dominum Feb 22, '12 7:13 am

You can take it off whilst bathing/showering. I don't see why you'd have to though. I wear my whilst I shower (but granted i have spares to swap them over so I'm not carrying around a piece of wet wool all day :D!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by svid2 (Post 8991308)
While I don't have a brown scapular (yet), I've heard it's okay to simply have it about you, like in your wallet.

It's not. That would only apply to extreme cases such as Peggy's. Otherwise you wear it over your shoulders like it's supposed to be worn.

ZxM Feb 22, '12 7:28 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Bloy (Post 8991854)
It's OK to remove it briefly for any good reason, including bathing. You will not lose the blessings and benefits.

exactly, its not a magic charm.

dailey Feb 22, '12 7:44 am

I only remove mine to bathe. Also, I say the rosary instead of the Little Office prayer, I got permission from my priest. :)

Bob Aliano Feb 22, '12 7:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith15 (Post 8991107)
After being enrolled in the Brown Scapular confraternity, I know it says we should never remove the scapular. Surely though, we can remove it for bathing?

I switch to a scapular medal for showering.

JimmytheButcher Feb 22, '12 7:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith15 (Post 8991107)

When at the shop, cutting steaks, I put mine in my pocket, so that it doesn't get too sweaty, except when I am doing the slaughter. I leave it in my clothes in the locker-room so that it doesn't get covered in blood, feces, and other nasty stuff like stomach contents which abound when in the valley of death.

I suppose there is a real threat that 1,500-lbs steer, hanging by his shanks by a mere-metal chain, could come crashing down on my head, killing me in an instant. Even more of a concern is the threat of getting kicked in the face when I must get down by the brisket between the front legs. A few weeks ago my helmet when flying-off after I got grazed by a hoof! And, my foreman has been picked-up with the horns and tossed around before. Maybe I should be wearing it.

zenith15 Feb 22, '12 8:07 pm

Thanks for your replies! As a new Catholic, my priest dispensed me from the rosary and/or little office and told me instead to start with saying a daily Our Father, three Hail Marys and a Glory Be. However, I would like to know more about the Little Office--can someone direct me to a copy of it online?

Laudate Dominum Feb 22, '12 8:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith15 (Post 8994488)
Thanks for your replies! As a new Catholic, my priest dispensed me from the rosary and/or little office and told me instead to start with saying a daily Our Father, three Hail Marys and a Glory Be. However, I would like to know more about the Little Office--can someone direct me to a copy of it online?

http://office.ageofmary.com/

RastaPasta Feb 23, '12 6:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenith15 (Post 8994488)

If you are interested in having a "hard copy" of the Little Office, you can find it here:
http://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=47

RastaPasta Feb 23, '12 6:53 am

I wear a Five-Fold Scapular...:thumbsup: which I like because it includes the Mt. Carmel (Brown), Passion (Red), Seven Dolors (Black), Immaculate Conception (Blue) and Holy Trinity (White with red/blue cross).

I keep it on all the time (even when I sleep), and only remove it when I shower.:)