Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Liturgy and Sacraments (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I tried to get to mass on Sunday and couldn't get (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=649118)

pepipop Feb 25, '12 8:52 am

I tried to get to mass on Sunday and couldn't get

due a thief asking for my keys and stealing my car and my having to wait for the police, etc. Today I went to confession, at a regaular time and there was a penitentiary service finishing off when I came in. Myself and another person were waiting for regular confession, but no priest attended so, personal confessions, must have been cancelled.

Is this God's will or how much influence does the devil have in disrupting plans we make to worship God, if any?

Pfaffenhoffen Feb 25, '12 9:02 am

Re: I tried to get to mass on Sunday and couldn't get

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepipop (Post 9003901)
due a thief asking for my keys and stealing my car and my having to wait for the police, etc. Today I went to confession, at a regaular time and there was a penitentiary service finishing off when I came in. Myself and another person were waiting for regular confession, but no priest attended so, personal confessions, must have been cancelled.

Is this God's will or how much influence does the devil have in disrupting plans we make to worship God, if any?

Boy, None.
Do not tell me that your carelessness, the thieves luck, the car not having safety tools against theft, the slowness of police, all were the devil's work for you not to go to mass?

It is not God's will either.
You may worship God without going to Church, going Monday through Saturday instead as a replacement, give alms to the poor...

The devil is locked where he should be and we have a guardian angel who knows Karaté...

pepipop Feb 25, '12 9:08 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfaffenhoffen (Post 9003938)
Boy, None.
Do not tell me that your carelessness, the thieves luck, the car not having safety tools against theft, the slowness of police, all were the devil's work for you not to go to mass?

It is not God's will either.
You may worship God without going to Church, going Monday through Saturday instead as a replacement, give alms to the poor...

The devil is locked where he should be and we have a guardian angel who knows Karaté...

Hardly 'my' carelessness, I got out of the car to go to mass and a man approached me and asked me to give him my car keys. I tried to keep him off as much I could but he saw them in the door, got in the car and smashed into other cars on the way off. I had to wait for the police to report the incident.

So, what exactly can the devil do then - nothing at all, as you state above he is 'locked' away?

Elizium23 Feb 25, '12 9:33 am

The first answer you got made no sense and I suggest ignoring it. You did not sin because you intended to go to Mass. No confession for this is necessary. Whether it was God's will or demonic intervention is really not ours to speculate. It is up to you and your pastor to discern that.

VivienneJ Feb 25, '12 9:57 am

Pepipop, I'd agree with Elizium23 that there is nothing for you to confess re Mass last Sunday and you had been on your way there (almost there) when you were robbed. I'd suggest a phone call to your priest to check on this. If you're unable to speak to him before tomorrow's Mass and you're still worried, go to Mass, but don't receive the Eucharist. And talk to your priest as soon as possible about this.

Anyone who wants to know how it happened last week, check here: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=648004

pepipop Feb 25, '12 10:58 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivienneJ (Post 9004090)
Pepipop, I'd agree with Elizium23 that there is nothing for you to confess re Mass last Sunday and you had been on your way there (almost there) when you were robbed. I'd suggest a phone call to your priest to check on this. If you're unable to speak to him before tomorrow's Mass and you're still worried, go to Mass, but don't receive the Eucharist. And talk to your priest as soon as possible about this.

Anyone who wants to know how it happened last week, check here: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=648004

Thanks Elizum23 and Vivienne. I must admit I was going to confession (as a usual confession), I may have mentioned the mass incident but do not believe it was in any way a mortal sin.

What I was trying to say was I missed mass through no fault of my own on Sunday (cannot even remember the last time, I've missed mass), and then arrive early to confession today and it's cancelled. My query was really on the lines off, can the devil interfere with a person trying to get to mass/confession. As everything that happens is God's will it seems a bit confusing that he would not wish me to attend mass/confession, hence can the devil interfere?

VivienneJ Feb 25, '12 11:08 am

Short answer, and strictly my opinion, is "yes, the devil does interfere in our good intentions" - tried to write something sensible, but it's late and I must get to sleep, work in the morning.

oneGODoneCHURCH Feb 25, '12 2:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepipop (Post 9004265)
Thanks Elizum23 and Vivienne. I must admit I was going to confession (as a usual confession), I may have mentioned the mass incident but do not believe it was in any way a mortal sin.

What I was trying to say was I missed mass through no fault of my own on Sunday (cannot even remember the last time, I've missed mass), and then arrive early to confession today and it's cancelled. My query was really on the lines off, can the devil interfere with a person trying to get to mass/confession. As everything that happens is God's will it seems a bit confusing that he would not wish me to attend mass/confession, hence can the devil interfere?

the short answer is Yes he can. He tried to interfer with Christ for 40 days in the desert. He can place obsticales in the way. the flip side is we have to fight those things. You did all that you could do, you did not give in to him. Also in regaurds that everything that happens is God's will I do not think so for if that was the case there would be no sin. and no Hell and all would be saved if not that would mean God willed us to sin and he willed some to be damed to Hell and that is not true. He gave us free will, and we need to aline that with his will, but can choose not to.

pepipop Feb 26, '12 3:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneGODoneCHURCH (Post 9004819)
the short answer is Yes he can. He tried to interfer with Christ for 40 days in the desert. He can place obsticales in the way. the flip side is we have to fight those things. You did all that you could do, you did not give in to him. Also in regaurds that everything that happens is God's will I do not think so for if that was the case there would be no sin. and no Hell and all would be saved if not that would mean God willed us to sin and he willed some to be damed to Hell and that is not true. He gave us free will, and we need to aline that with his will, but can choose not to.

That's quite true about God's will. However, as you point out if 'my' free will is to do God's will I will be pleasing God, hence if the devil can place obstructions I can only assume that I would be being tested? If I am being tested then I can then only assume God allowed the devil to obstruct me in the first place, or is this not necessarily correct?

oneGODoneCHURCH Feb 27, '12 9:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepipop (Post 9006461)
That's quite true about God's will. However, as you point out if 'my' free will is to do God's will I will be pleasing God, hence if the devil can place obstructions I can only assume that I would be being tested? If I am being tested then I can then only assume God allowed the devil to obstruct me in the first place, or is this not necessarily correct?

He aloowed Christ to be tested why would he not allow you?