Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Liturgy and Sacraments (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Who can be buried in a Catholic Cemetery? (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=763045)

WildCatholic Mar 10, '13 11:45 am

Who can be buried in a Catholic Cemetery?

Can a non-catholic with a catholic spouse be buried in a Catholic cemetery? What about someone who dies in mortal sin, like someone who dies of alcohol poisoning or is drunk in a drunk driving crash (i'm not talking about alcoholics since in some cases they can't control it. I'm talking like some guy go's out and says "I wanna get smashed tonight" and then dies). There are lots of other examples, but all I want to know is who can be buried in a Catholic cemetery

1ke Mar 10, '13 12:14 pm

Re: Who can be buried in a Catholic Cemetery?

Nothing in canon law prevents a non-Catholic from being buried in a Catholic cemetery. However, diocesan particular law would govern cemeteries at a more detailed level so you should check with your diocese on the particular law for the cemeteries in your local area.

Bonnie Mar 10, '13 1:00 pm

It's a good idea to buy plots in advance, if possible. Some Catholic cemeteries have rules that are different from others. A few years ago a nephew died in a car accident. His parents wanted to bury him in the Catholic cemetery near their home, but were refused. The reason? The cemetery had "met their quota" for that month. So none of the family is being buried there. They bought plots in the secular cemetery next door.

Husband & I have that taken care of - our ashes will be interred at a veteran's cemetery.

CB Catholic Mar 10, '13 5:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCatholic (Post 10465582)
Can a non-catholic with a catholic spouse be buried in a Catholic cemetery? What about someone who dies in mortal sin, like someone who dies of alcohol poisoning or is drunk in a drunk driving crash (i'm not talking about alcoholics since in some cases they can't control it. I'm talking like some guy go's out and says "I wanna get smashed tonight" and then dies). There are lots of other examples, but all I want to know is who can be buried in a Catholic cemetery

There is no way for anyone to know who dies in mortal sin. How do we know that the person did not repent right before the instant of death? It used to be that suicides could not be buried in a Catholic cemetery, but that is no longer true. I do know that the non-Catholic spouse of a Catholic can be buried with them. But no one can pass judgment on a person's soul and say they can't be buried here because they died in mortal sin. Not possible to know that.

WildCatholic Mar 10, '13 7:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Catholic (Post 10466927)
There is no way for anyone to know who dies in mortal sin. How do we know that the person did not repent right before the instant of death? It used to be that suicides could not be buried in a Catholic cemetery, but that is no longer true. I do know that the non-Catholic spouse of a Catholic can be buried with them. But no one can pass judgment on a person's soul and say they can't be buried here because they died in mortal sin. Not possible to know that.

Okay, if some teenager dies drunk after a party. i'm sure they aren't in a right mind to repent. Now its different if its a true alcoholic who is so addicted they are not choosing to drink. Also, what if someone died right after having sex with someone not their spouse?

Bonnie Mar 10, '13 7:51 pm

As CB said, it's impossible for any human being to know, directly after death, who is going to heaven and who is not. Why do you want to judge the dead? Can't you leave that to God?

CB Catholic Mar 10, '13 8:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCatholic (Post 10467479)
Okay, if some teenager dies drunk after a party. i'm sure they aren't in a right mind to repent. Now its different if its a true alcoholic who is so addicted they are not choosing to drink. Also, what if someone died right after having sex with someone not their spouse?

Catholic teaching is that no one can presume to know what takes place between God and a person at the instant of death. No one save the Lord alone is privileged to make judgment on a person's soul. Neither you nor I nor the Church may usurp the Lord's privilege to judge . I suggest you don't pursue this line of thinking, as it is against Church teaching. Your question on the cemetery was answered adequately.

WildCatholic Mar 11, '13 5:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Catholic (Post 10467598)
Catholic teaching is that no one can presume to know what takes place between God and a person at the instant of death. No one save the Lord alone is privileged to make judgment on a person's soul. Neither you nor I nor the Church may usurp the Lord's privilege to judge . I suggest you don't pursue this line of thinking, as it is against Church teaching. Your question on the cemetery was answered adequately.

How is it wrong? Not that I'm challenging you to be difficult, but I always thought if you died in mortal sin, no catholic funeral could be held.

dshix Mar 11, '13 6:48 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCatholic (Post 10468656)
How is it wrong? Not that I'm challenging you to be difficult, but I always thought if you died in mortal sin, no catholic funeral could be held.

They already answered your question. The point is moot; people can't judge whether or not a person truly died in mortal sin, because it is impossible to know.

What more do you need to be told to understand?

WildCatholic Mar 11, '13 7:20 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshix (Post 10468783)
They already answered your question. The point is moot; people can't judge whether or not a person truly died in mortal sin, because it is impossible to know.

What more do you need to be told to understand?

I guess it bugs me that if a person is in mortal sin they can't (rightly I may add), receive communion, but can get a Catholic funeral. I mean if we are going to say we can't judge, then we should say anyone can receive the body of christ.

I'm sorry if i'm sounding a bit combative, but I just don't understand. People use the "don't judge me argument" and I think its a load of hooey. I understand we don't know what is on people's hearts, but it bugs me when people use the "don't judge me" argument.

1ke Mar 11, '13 8:04 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCatholic (Post 10468656)

Not exactly. Here are the relevant canons. The types of things you listed do not fall uner canon 1184.

Can.* 1183 1. When it concerns funerals, catechumens must be counted among the Christian faithful.

2. The local ordinary can permit children whom the parents intended to baptize but who died before baptism to be given ecclesiastical funerals.

3. In the prudent judgment of the local ordinary, ecclesiastical funerals can be granted to baptized persons who are enrolled in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community unless their intention is evidently to the contrary and provided that their own minister is not available.

Can.* 1184 1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:

1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;

2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;

3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.

2. If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.

Can.* 1185 Any funeral Mass must also be denied a person who is excluded from ecclesiastical funerals.

Bonnie Mar 11, '13 8:04 am

A person doesn't get "bonus points' for having a Catholic funeral. His soul has already been judged. The funeral is for the ones left behind. I know that if a notorius sinner gets a big Catholic send-off, it can cause some talk, but as has been said, no one knows what happens between even the worst sinner and God in the last moments before death.

It is the not-knowing that gives me hope for some of the non-Chrisitans I love who have died. I pray for them daily, hoping that they recongnized God at the end and that He was merciful.

1ke Mar 11, '13 8:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCatholic (Post 10468882)
I guess it bugs me that if a person is in mortal sin they can't (rightly I may add), receive communion, but can get a Catholic funeral.

Who is a funeral for, when it comes down to it? The living. Do you think the dead know or care if they received a Catholic funeral? Their judgment is complete. Funerals are for the grieving, burying the dead an act of charity. Seems to me you could have a little charity for them.

WildCatholic Mar 11, '13 11:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ke (Post 10469038)
Who is a funeral for, when it comes down to it? The living. Do you think the dead know or care if they received a Catholic funeral? Their judgment is complete. Funerals are for the grieving, burying the dead an act of charity. Seems to me you could have a little charity for them.

But I guess i feel it promotes scandal. Look at Teddy Kennedy. I would hardly call the Kennedy family devout Catholics (i know any family can have issues with the church, but being against church doctrine is what makes them heretical to me), and while they certainly still feel attached to the church, because of their liberal views they should of just gave Ted a non religious funeral. Also, I know it is for the living, I myself lost my dad, which is why I struggle with this. I always wondered whether he made it because by the time our priest got their for the last rights, he was pretty much brain dead and couldn't make a good confession, and my dad wasn't exactly the best catholic (not that he was bad or anything, he'd be what i call nominal, at best). Thank you for your answers though. Even with my combativeness I appreciate how courteous everyone has been.

oratorymatt Mar 11, '13 2:03 pm

True enough the ceremony is for the grieving family and friends, but remember merits of the mass is for the repose of the soul. I hope people will be kind enough to give me a catholic send off and pray for me!