Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Spirituality (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   what statue do u have (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=77610)

jay 2 Sep 28, '05 12:58 pm

what statue do u have

what statues do u have on ur home shrine and how do u dress them and what do they mean to u

WanderAimlessly Sep 28, '05 1:13 pm

Re: what statue do u have

Currently, I have none (except for a crucifix on the wall). I am thinking of getting a couple if I can find some that are made of something not breakable (like pewter).

PF

Pious Sep 28, '05 1:20 pm

A large Sacred Heart of Jesus

A small Sacred Heart of Jesus (no hands, got sucked up the vaccum cleaner when I was younger, but I will not replace it as I have had it sincea baby) :)

A large statue of Our Lady

A medium statue of Our Lady

A small statue of Our Lady

A large statue of Saint Joseph

A small statue of Saint Joseph

Statue of Saint Michael

Statue of Saint Jude

A novelty statue of Saint Patrick

Jenlyn Sep 28, '05 3:16 pm

A 8" statue of Michaelangelo's Pieta. I love this one. I got it while I was in Italy a stone's throw from St. Peter's.

8" Florentine Mary and Jesus

8" Florentine Joseph and Child

8" resin Mary of Grace

I like them all. I just do.

Mom of 5 Sep 28, '05 3:26 pm

Have a beautiful large statue of Mary, outdoors close to the gazebo.
She stands in the center of three beautiful trees.

Small stautes of St. Joseph and St. Anthony.

Beautiful crucifix.

Canvas "Prince of Peace" by Kinkade.

Love and peace

Mom of 5

drforjc Sep 29, '05 10:33 am

I have a number of them but one of the most special to me (after the crucifix, of course) is my O L of Mt Carmel. I'm aspiring to the local Lay Carmelite community so naturally I have a certain fondness for it. She is wearing the Carmelite habit and wears a gold crown on her head. In her left arm she is holding the Child Jesus and in her right is the brown scapular.

Mordocai Oct 3, '05 5:25 pm

there's so many around this house that my mom has..
but the ones i own are medium sized. one of Joseph, Mary, Jude, Francis of Asissi, Jesus, I believe Dominic, another of st. francis of asissi, and another of our lady. then two very tiny statues of jesus and the other of joseph.

++ holy reminders :D

Karin Oct 3, '05 6:08 pm

We have three crucifixs

Benedictus Oct 3, '05 6:27 pm

I don't really have any statues. I have a crucifix or two and several icons. I'm more fond of icons than statues, for various reasons, but I wouldn't be adverse to having a statue or two around, if it were the right statue.

puzzleannie Oct 5, '05 7:34 am

The only statues I have ever seen that require "dressing" are the Infant of Prague and various statues of Our Lady such as la Virgen de San Juan de los Lagos, and these are always dressed in robes corresponding to the colors of the liturgical season.

I don't have statues, except for a bas relief plaque of Christ as Ecce Homo (copied from one used by Teresa of Avila in her devotions). I do have icons, and a retablo of OL Guadalupe (painted image in folk art style in a wooden altarcito).

Lorrie Oct 5, '05 8:09 am

4 Crucifixes

12" Our Lady of Grace

4" Our Lady of Grace

Two 8" statues of the Virgin Mary with shamrocks on her clothing

One framed picture of the Immaculate Conception

4" St. Catherine of Siena (my patron Saint)

cainem Oct 5, '05 10:23 am

a small padre pio, but i want a st michael statue i see in the church shop

Peace-bwu Oct 5, '05 12:00 pm

My mom has an Infant of Prague statue which she inherited. It was made by sisters and has beautiful clothing to go along with the liturgical calendar. Her cat walked by and knocked it down breaking off teh two fingers he holds up. She repaired them, only to find out later a story about miracles happening around those who repair broken fingers on Infant of Prague statues. She has a new found devotion to the Infant of Prague since she inherited this family heirloom.

Peace-bwu Oct 5, '05 12:03 pm

I want to find a St. Michael Statue for our front yard flower garden. I want to get a beautiful Mary statue for a rose garden and a St. Joseph for a big bed of various kinds of lilys to bloom throughout the year. I think it would also be neat to have a Holy Family statue in a bed of roses and lilys

My dream is to someday have a huge garden with little flower beds to correspond with various saints. It will be great because i also want an art /photography studio for a family portrait business from my home, with the garden as a backdrop.

Peace-bwu Oct 5, '05 12:17 pm

Most of the statues in my house are the small plastic kind which belong to my children. My son keeps a statue of St. Michael on his nightstand. St. Michael has been in a few battles with dinosaurs and dragons... and one day I found my 2 yr old with her plastic mary in one hand battling dinosaurs in the other.

I tried to see this as a positive, my children fighting evil with the Blessed Mother and St. Michael by their side. I couldn't help but smile and think "ONLY in a Catholic family does this happen..."

My daughter's Mary statue has been to various restaurants around town, Olivia likes for Mary to be set on the table while she eats...It has to be a source of amusement for some of the waitresses... but since I found Mary and St Michael being used as heroes in an action figure battle, I also try to teach them to treat their statues with respect, rather than as toys :)

Yes.. only in a Catholic family...

onetruechurch Oct 5, '05 5:30 pm

I have three beautiful nativity scenes. I keep them up all year. One is in my home. One is in my second home and one is in my office. The one in my second home is rather large and absolutely beautiful. I found it last year at Costco of all places. Am I the only one who keeps a nativity scene up all year?

maggieodae Oct 5, '05 7:23 pm

Inside

Our Lady of the Immaculate Heart.

St. Theresa

St. Michael

St Gabriel

The Holy Family

Our Lady of Fatima

Our Lady of Grace

Outside:

Back yard:

Fountain...St Francis

Our Lady of Grace

Front yard:

Our Lady of Gudalupe

St Francis

Mom of 5 Oct 8, '05 2:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetruechurch
I have three beautiful nativity scenes. I keep them up all year. One is in my home. One is in my second home and one is in my office. The one in my second home is rather large and absolutely beautiful. I found it last year at Costco of all places. Am I the only one who keeps a nativity scene up all year?

You are not alone. My son and his wife have a nativity scene in their living room all year round. We gave their new baby son a tiny, beautiful nativity scene for the shelf in his room to be there all year round. When we find a scene that fits on a small entry table, we, too, shall keep it there all year. What a beautiful reminder of Christ, His Holy Mother and Joseph, the head of the Hold family.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us.

Mom of 5

the phoenix Oct 9, '05 7:36 pm

Our Lady of Fatima, medium sized

The Three Fatima Seers Shepherd Children, small

Lenis Oct 9, '05 7:37 pm

2 Statues of Mary
2 statues of The Sacred Heart
1 St. Joseph with the child Jesus
1 St. Dymphna
1 St. Michael
1 Infant of Prague (We recently moved and I can't find it)

We have lots of Saint Pictures, St. Therese, St. Teresa of Avila,
St. Francis, St. Faustina , 3 different ones of Jesus, 3 of Mary

Vatican II Oct 11, '05 8:20 am

We have three statues of Our Lady

1. 30" Our Lady of World Peace

2. 8" Madonna and Child

3. 8" Our Lady of Lourdes

The only one we "dress" is Our Lady of World Peace with a rosary which with a large wall crucifix and bible makes a prayer altar in our bedroom.

:thumbsup:

Gwyn Oct 14, '05 8:35 am

Sacred Heart of Jesus

Our Lady of Fatima

St. Joseph

St Michael

Holy family

St. Anthony

Almost forgot - Mother Mary in the front yard.

b_justb Oct 14, '05 8:37 am

I only have one statute, ‘The Pieta’

But I have lots of Icons.

Marilena Feb 22, '06 6:26 am

I have a statuette of Saint Bernadette, and one of The Immaculate Conception

stbruno Feb 24, '06 8:48 am

We have many crucifixes throughout our home including a 3ft high one that the fourth graders hand made and painted for me. We also have statues of Padre Pio, St.Francis of Assisi, St.Philomena, St.Lawrence, the Holy Family, Our Lady of the Universe, she has under her mantle children of nations. I love that one particularly. I also have one of St.Joseph, and pictures on our walls of Our Lady of Guadalupe....Jesus surrounded by people of all nations called The Family of God....the Flight into Egypt..the Sacred Heart, our late Pope etc....I hope our house is readily identifiable as a Christian house...not to mention my statue of the Blessed Mother on our front lawn.

Hesychios Feb 24, '06 10:03 am

Religious art

I have a Bavarian Madonna (resin), very lovely and naturalistic, I keep in prominantly in either my living room or bedroom (I do not keep representations of Mary that do not include Jesus). I have a small statue of Saint Joseph the Worker (resin), I am very fond of him and I keep this on my writing desk.

I also have an olivewood statue of the Holy Family imported from Palestine in my living room.

I have crosses or crucifixes in the private rooms. The rest of my spritual art is composed of icons, I pray with these.

Stac4Grace Feb 24, '06 10:06 am

We have three crucifixes

Pope John Paul II glass plate

Pope John Paul II framed picture

Sacred of heart of Jesus picture

St. Michael statue

and miraculous medals throughout the house.

virgo Feb 24, '06 10:27 am

I have a candle of the Virgin of Guadalupe

A picture of St Therese of Lisieux

A picture/devotional card of St. Benedict

4HisChurch Feb 24, '06 12:29 pm

Outside:

Immaculate Heart of Mary
Saint Francis of Assisi

Inside:
Saint Michael
Generic angels
Saint Dymphna
Our Lady of Fatima
Rosa Mystica
Madonna and Child
Our Lady of Victory

LilyM Feb 24, '06 1:05 pm

Wow, you guys have some serious collections! At the moment all I have is a fairly small but beautiful olive wood cross and a picture of Our Lady and St Bernadette. I do have a few much smaller pictures though - St Therese of Lisieux, St Jude and the face of Christ from the Shroud of Turin.

I have to say my personal preference is for icons over statues - I'll probably get Our Lady of Perpetual Help soon or another Madonna and Child icon.

maggiec Feb 24, '06 4:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay 2
what statues do u have on ur home shrine and how do u dress them and what do they mean to u

I have a 4 foot statue of Our Lady of Grace in my Mary Garden. Does that count? I also have a Mary and Jesus "Pieta" that is about 18 inches tall in a relique built into my wall above my table.
God bless
maggiec

Lorrie Feb 25, '06 1:39 am

I've already posted on this thread once, I've added a lot more to my home since then though, here's everything:

1 statue of the Holy Family
3 Our Lady of Grace (one large, one small and one from the Philippines)
2 Virgin Mary's with shamrocks on her "clothing" (very Irish)
1 statue of the Immaculate Conception (one of my favorites)
1 of Our Lady of Guadalupe
1 Our Lady of Lourdes
1 Our Lady of Fatima
1 statue of the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus, quite rare, she's wearing a pink dress with a blue veil, it also has gold guilding in certain areas.
1 of St. Therese of Lisieux
1 of St. Catherine of Siena

3 icons
4 crucifixes

I've been collecting statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary for about a year now. And yes, I've kind of run out of room...laugh*.