Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Liturgy and Sacraments (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Immaculate Conception day (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=831554)

Canuck000 Oct 20, '13 4:35 pm

Immaculate Conception day

This year, Dec.8, Immaculate Conception Holy Day is on a Sun. Is the Holy Day of Obligation on the Sun also? Or how does this work. Excuse my ignorance, I'm a new Catholic as of Easter 2013.

bsroufek Oct 20, '13 4:40 pm

Re: Immaculate Conception day

The Saturday vigil counts for Sunday obligation, even when a particular Sunday is a Holy Day (actually all Sundays are Holy Days).

Canuck000 Oct 20, '13 4:45 pm

Thanks, I always attend the Sat. vigil and Sun morning, but I was wondering if "another Holy Day" was designated for the Holy Day of Immaculate Conception day since it falls on a Sun (Holy Day), this year.
So, there is not another day designated?, besides?.
Now I'm confusing myself. :)

bsroufek Oct 20, '13 5:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck000 (Post 11320096)
Thanks, I always attend the Sat. vigil and Sun morning, but I was wondering if "another Holy Day" was designated for the Holy Day of Immaculate Conception day since it falls on a Sun (Holy Day), this year.
So, there is not another day designated?, besides?.
Now I'm confusing myself. :)

No, we don't hold another feast day (during the week?) because the solemnity falls on Sunday.

marty1818 Oct 20, '13 5:09 pm

The celebration of the Immaculate Conception is moved to Monday Dec. 9th. Since Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is the patroness of the U.S. it is always a Holy Day of Obligation and is never abrogated no matter what day of the week it falls on. So you will need to go to mass for the 2nd Sunday of Advent as well as mass for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.

marytk Oct 20, '13 5:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty1818 (Post 11320168)
The celebration of the Immaculate Conception is moved to Monday Dec. 9th. Since Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is the patroness of the U.S. it is always a Holy Day of Obligation.

Yes if it wasn't during Advent, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception would over ride a Sunday of Ordinary time. During Lent and Advent the celebration of Solemnities is moved. (Like St Joseph and the Annunciation during Lent) And as said above since this is our patroness it will still be a day of obligation.

thistle Oct 20, '13 5:52 pm

Quote:

The celebration of the Immaculate Conception is moved to Monday Dec. 9th. Since Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is the patroness of the U.S. it is always a Holy Day of Obligation and is never abrogated no matter what day of the week it falls on. So you will need to go to mass for the 2nd Sunday of Advent as well as mass for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.

Here in the Philippines when Dec 8 falls on a Sunday then both Sunday and Immaculate Conception obligations are on the same day. Going to a separate Mass is not required.

SuscipeMeDomine Oct 20, '13 6:03 pm

Quote:

Monday, December 9 is not a holy day of obligation in the United States.

This is from the USCCB liturgical calendar:
8. Since December 8, 2013, is the Third Sunday of Advent, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is transferred to Monday, December 9, 2013. The obligation to attend Mass, however, does not transfer. The optional memorial of Saint Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, December 9, is omitted this year.

Canuck000 Oct 20, '13 6:23 pm

Some great answers here, and I thank you all. I'm still learning so much.

SMHW Oct 21, '13 1:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine (Post 11320327)

8. Since December 8, 2013, is the Third Sunday of Advent, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is transferred to Monday, December 9, 2013. The obligation to attend Mass, however, does not transfer. The optional memorial of Saint Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, December 9, is omitted this year.

:thumbsup: Ding! Ding! Ding!

liturgyluver Oct 21, '13 1:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by marytk (Post 11320186)
Yes if it wasn't during Advent, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception would over ride a Sunday of Ordinary time. During Lent and Advent the celebration of Solemnities is moved. (Like St Joseph and the Annunciation during Lent) And as said above since this is our patroness it will still be a day of obligation.

No - it is not a day of obligation this year.

marty1818 Oct 21, '13 4:06 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine (Post 11320327)

I stand corrected. Should say Second Sunday of Advent.

1ke Oct 21, '13 8:28 am

In the Church, feast days have a hierarchy-- called a rank.

IC is a solemnity. A solemnity would outrank a Sunday of Ordinary Time, but not a Sunday of Advent, Lent, or Easter.

In many cases when that happens, the feast is simply not celebrated that year. Important solmenities can be transferred to another day to be celebrated with their proper readings, etc.

That is what happens this year with IC. IC is transferred to Dec 9, displacing the feast or optional memorial that would normally be on Dec 9. However, the obligation to attend Mass is not transferred.

So, if you want to attend Mass for IC, it will be celebrated on Dec 9 probalby at whatever normal daily mass time your parish has.

Honestly, it takes a pretty big scorecard to understand all the intricacies of the ranking of feasts. So, I just look every year on the Liturgical Calendar on the USCCB website where they have it all sorted out for me! :)

Are you in the US or Canada? IC is not a day of obligation in Canada.

twf Oct 21, '13 9:25 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ke (Post 11321898)
In the Church, feast days have a hierarchy-- called a rank.

IC is a solemnity. A solemnity would outrank a Sunday of Ordinary Time, but not a Sunday of Advent, Lent, or Easter.

In many cases when that happens, the feast is simply not celebrated that year. Important solmenities can be transferred to another day to be celebrated with their proper readings, etc.

That is what happens this year with IC. IC is transferred to Dec 9, displacing the feast or optional memorial that would normally be on Dec 9. However, the obligation to attend Mass is not transferred.

So, if you want to attend Mass for IC, it will be celebrated on Dec 9 probalby at whatever normal daily mass time your parish has.

Honestly, it takes a pretty big scorecard to understand all the intricacies of the ranking of feasts. So, I just look every year on the Liturgical Calendar on the USCCB website where they have it all sorted out for me! :)

Are you in the US or Canada? IC is not a day of obligation in Canada.

Good point about Canada. The IC of OL is NEVER a day of obligation in Canada - only Christmas and Mary, Mother of God (Jan 1) are, with Epiphany, Corpus Christi, and a couple others moved to the nearest Sunday instead. I find that many posters assume that CAF is an Americans-only club and respond accordingly :P.

porthos11 Oct 21, '13 9:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck000 (Post 11320053)
This year, Dec.8, Immaculate Conception Holy Day is on a Sun. Is the Holy Day of Obligation on the Sun also? Or how does this work. Excuse my ignorance, I'm a new Catholic as of Easter 2013.

From your username, are you living in Canada? If so, Dec 8 is not a Holy Day of Obligation ever.