Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Spirituality (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Chaplet of Holy Wounds Questions (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=853739)

Skyhighblue34 Jan 21, '14 12:08 pm

Chaplet of Holy Wounds Questions

So I know that this chaplet has many promises tied to it, but I'm kind of confused praying it. I know that when you pray the rosary you have to meditate on the mysteries while praying, but is it the same in this case as well? Also, many of the promises seem vague and I don't know what Jesus means by some of them. Like for instance, one of the promises is that if you plunge your actions into his wounds, they will have great merit. How does one do something like that...

Charbel123 Jan 21, '14 12:36 pm

Re: Chaplet of Holy Wounds Questions

Plunge your actions in the Holy wounds is like uniting your actions to Them .. Our actions are of little value in the sight of God and sometimes of no value( when we aren't in the state of grace) but when we offer our actions to the Eternal Father in union with the passion and the Holy Wounds of Jesus Christ they become of infinite value in the sight of God. Whenever you offer to God the Father any suffering , actions , prayers, etc through His son Jesus become agreeable to Him and of infinite worth..

While St. Gertrude was offering a certain action to God, saying:

O Lord, I offer Thee this work through Thine Only Son, in the power of the Holy Spirit, to the praise of Thine eternal Majesty; it was revealed to her that whatever action was thus offered would acquire a worth and acceptableness to God beyond all human comprehension. For as all things appear to be green when seen through a green glass, so whatever is offered to God through His Only-begotten Son cannot be otherwise than most precious and pleasing in His sight.

That you may understand how useful it is to offer all your works to God, listen to what our Lord said on one occasion to St. Gertrude: All thy works are most perfectly pleasing to Me. And as she could not believe this, He added: If you held in your hand some object which you had the means and the skill to render perfectly pleasing to everyone, and if you tenderly loved that object, would you neglect to adorn it? Even thus, because you are accustomed to offer all your works to Me, I hold them in My hand; and as I have both the power and the skill, My love rejoiceth to cleanse and perfect them all, that they may be most perfectly pleasing in My sight.

Skyhighblue34 Jan 21, '14 6:29 pm

Hmmm I see. Well what about meditation? Do you just say it or actually meditate on his wounds?

Charbel123 Jan 22, '14 12:19 am

You need to meditate on the wounds and on the passion of Jesus Christ while praying the chaplet..

Charbel123 Jan 22, '14 12:41 am

I used to pray the chaplet 2 years ago . Well any prayers ( like the way of the cross..) that consist on meditating on the Passion of Jesus are fine as long as you are praying and meditating devoutly.

Jesus said to St Faustina:

“There is more merit to one hour of meditation on My Sorrowful Passion than there is to a whole year of flagellation that draw blood; the CONTEMPLATION of MY PAINFUL WOUNDS is of great profit to you, and it brings Me great joy.”

“There are few souls who contemplate My Passion with true feeling; I give great graces to souls who meditate devoutly on My Passion.”

And the Lord said to me," Know, My daughter, that your silent day-to-day martyrdom in complete submission to My will ushers many souls into heaven. And when it seems to you that your suffering exceeds your strength, Contemplate My Wounds , (51) and you will rise above human scorn and judgment. Meditation on My passion will help you rise above all things."

So they are similar to the Promises of Venerable Mary Martha Chambon.

Granum Frumenti Jan 22, '14 5:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyhighblue34 (Post 11621287)
I know that when you pray the rosary you have to meditate on the mysteries while praying, but is it the same in this case as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyhighblue34 (Post 11622547)
Hmmm I see. Well what about meditation? Do you just say it or actually meditate on his wounds?

Since you mention the rosary, does your latter question mean something like this? "People who pray the rosary tend to meditate on the mysteries and not concentrate much on the words of the prayers themselves (at least at the Hail Marys within each decade). Am I supposed to treat the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds in the same way?"

When I pray the chaplet (unlike when I pray the rosary), I pay attention to both the words of the prayers and the underlying meditation that emerges. At least in my experience, asking for "pardon and mercy" by the "merits of [Jesus's] Holy Wounds" leads to a concurrent meditation on those Wounds, yet without leading me away, so to speak, from keeping aware of what I am literally asking.

I use "so to speak" because I don't see the meditation in the rosary as a kind of "leading away" from the Hail Marys. I don't know how I'd articulate the difference at the moment, but both the "rosary experience" and the "chaplet experience" are good, just different.

In both cases, the repetition--this is no "vain" repetition!--helps deepen such a meditation for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if others have similar experiences with this chaplet. Now that I think about it, I can imagine such meditation emerging "naturally" from, well, the nature of the words. Asking for these gifts on the basis of these merits may lead someone to ponder these merits; seeing the Source of these merits may lead someone to gaze upon these Wounds.