Catholic Answers Forums

Catholic Answers Forums (http://forums.catholic.com/index.php)
-   Liturgy and Sacraments (http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   More times for confession (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=856895)

Magdalena59 Feb 2, '14 3:04 pm

More times for confession

Is it just me or does any one else feel they would go to confession more if there were more times and opportunities. I know there is a priest shortage and they are very busy, I am just wondering if it would help. Sometimes I find the times very difficult to get to.

JimG Feb 2, '14 3:25 pm

Re: More times for confession

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magdalena59 (Post 11663785)
Is it just me or does any one else feel they would go to confession more if there were more times and opportunities. I know there is a priest shortage and they are very busy, I am just wondering if it would help. Sometimes I find the times very difficult to get to.

Well yes, I think there ought to be as much opportunity as possible. My own parish has confessions six days a week: a half-hour before weekday afternoon Mass, and an hour on Sundays. And there are other parishes nearby which also have confession times, so I think nearly everyone has a chance to go. But if not, one can always make an appointment.

(Probably if every parishioner went to confession biweekly or even monthly, though, it would not be enough.)

jmj777 Feb 2, '14 3:38 pm

Unfortunately, there aren't always enough people going to confessions to warrant more available hours / days.

When we go (which is every other week), we are usually one of two or three other people / families that go. Yet, the line for receiving Holy Communion extends out the door!?!?! How sad.

At least, that's how it is at MY parish.

Peace.

+JMJ+

Jeanne S Feb 2, '14 3:40 pm

The only time my parish offers confession I'd 8:00-9:30 on Sat mornings.We are a huge parish over 4,0000 registered families.Sooo,I go to a nearby parish that has Sat.at 3:30;)

George Stegmeir Feb 2, '14 4:18 pm

If you cannot make it to Confession at the scheduled times, why not go to the Rectory of any Catholic Church and ask to see a priest? Or, many Catholic Churches have a daily morning or evening Mass. Show up about 15 or 20 minutes before Mass and go into the Sanctuary. When the priest arrives, and before he vests up, ask him to hear your Confession. I am sure he will accomodate you.
Remember, you are not limited to Catholic Churches in your neignborhood. You can do this at any Catholic Church. And, at least in the US, unless upi live in the middle of no-where, there usually is a Catholic Church within walking distance. You can find them in the Yellow Pages of your phone book.

Magdalena59 Feb 2, '14 5:36 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Stegmeir (Post 11663978)
If you cannot make it to Confession at the scheduled times, why not go to the Rectory of any Catholic Church and ask to see a priest? Or, many Catholic Churches have a daily morning or evening Mass. Show up about 15 or 20 minutes before Mass and go into the Sanctuary. When the priest arrives, and before he vests up, ask him to hear your Confession. I am sure he will accomodate you.
Remember, you are not limited to Catholic Churches in your neignborhood. You can do this at any Catholic Church. And, at least in the US, unless upi live in the middle of no-where, there usually is a Catholic Church within walking distance. You can find them in the Yellow Pages of your phone book.

Thank you George. :) You are correct and I do realize that I can make appointments. I do have difficulty making the times. There are 12 Catholic churches near me and they all have confession around the same time. Either Saturday afternoon or early in the morning during the week. I usually go on Saturday because I have family to get off to school and work early in the morning during the week. There is one a little farther that has 11:15AM. It is a little harder to get to but when needed I go. I should say, I guess too, just because of how things get misinterpreted on the forum, that I truly understand the shortage of priests and how busy they are and I do know I can get to confession when needed and that I absolutely love the Catholic church and in no way want to sound as if I am putting it down or complaining. I was just wondering if anyone else found the times scheduled for confession difficult to get to or if it was just my area. I remember when I was growing up long lines at the confessional and able to always get there during the week.

God bless :)

WI_Catholic Feb 2, '14 5:54 pm

For us it gets a bit chaotic Sunday mornings so our time to go before Mass is limited. We have taken to doing a Saturday night family trip to the cathedral so we can all go and have time to pray before hand.

pianistclare Feb 2, '14 7:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Stegmeir (Post 11663978)

Well, I guess we're in the middle of nowhere. It's about 20-30 miles between parishes in my neck of the woods. :D
And, like one of the other posters, we have confession only on Saturday afternoons from 4:14 to 4:45. There is seldom more than 4 people in line. And most everyone goes to communion or for .......wait for it.......a blessing*. :p

*(thinly veiled reference to the blessings in communion line thread)
;)

Neofight Feb 2, '14 7:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmj777 (Post 11663871)
Unfortunately, there aren't always enough people going to confessions to warrant more available hours / days.

When we go (which is every other week), we are usually one of two or three other people / families that go. Yet, the line for receiving Holy Communion extends out the door!?!?! How sad.

At least, that's how it is at MY parish.

Peace.

+JMJ+

Don't be sad! Be positive! That long line very well might be a long line of people in the state of grace! It is presumptuous to assume many or most are receiving the Eucharist with unconfessed mortal sin.

Pa Newman Feb 2, '14 7:20 pm

I have noticed that if there is ample opportunity to go to Confession people will go. At the parish I attend there is Confession every day before the 8:00 am Mass as well as Saturday afternoon. It is not a huge parish, but there are always people going to Confession. I suppose it may be because it is a more traditional parish.

Mary_Ellen Feb 2, '14 8:44 pm

Yes, it would be better if there were more times scheduled for confessions. In my diocese there are a number of parishes are made up of 2 or more churches manned by only one priest so it's tough for one man to just cover the weekend masses, much less offer confessions at each church each week.

In my parish, made up of three churches, we have three priests plus a couple more in residence. We are offered confession in one location three times a week and in each church on Saturday afternoons, plus - of course - priests are available by appointment. Those of us who frequent this sacrament know just how fortunate we are to live here and are very thankful.

Betheone Feb 2, '14 8:58 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magdalena59 (Post 11663785)

Me too. Currently my current parish only has two confession times. Wednesday and Saturday evenings. They don't have any before any of the three Sunday masses. My former parish did, which meant that I had a minimum of six different opportunities to go to confession during the week, instead of only two. :(

babochka Feb 3, '14 9:31 am

I've always wondered why nearly every parish in the area has the same confession times. One parish has confessions on Wednesday evening, and the FSSP parish and the Cathedral have confession everyday, but most local parishes have confessions from 3-4 on Saturday afternoons, or some minor variant like 3:30-4:30. Wouldn't it be nice if the times were coordinated, perhaps within a deanery, to offer a wider variety of options?

My own very small parish offers confessions on Sunday morning before Divine Liturgy, 30 minutes before any scheduled service, or by appointment, but "appointment" is understood to mean "ask Father if he has a few minutes for confession".

I think that if priests had many people scheduling appointments to go to confession, they might start adding more regularly scheduled confession times into the schedule, just as a practical matter. It is less time-consuming to do it that way than to deal with a bunch of individual appointments.

Let us pray for our priests, that they preach on the need for confession and are generous in offering confession to the faithful.

zz912 Feb 3, '14 2:16 pm

Every parish should have Confession at least once a month during a weeknight so that it is made more available. For those of us with very busy jobs and young children, Saturday afternoon is just not a convenient time.

And priests need to speak more about Confession during homilies. If you never talk about it, people will think it is a bygone relic of the past.

digitalpapist Feb 6, '14 11:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neofight (Post 11664425)
Don't be sad! Be positive! That long line very well might be a long line of people in the state of grace! It is presumptuous to assume many or most are receiving the Eucharist with unconfessed mortal sin.

No, I think it is a fairly logical induction to notice that if 10 people go to Confession a week out of 1500 Mass goers, and 99.5% of those Mass goers go up to Communion, it is quite easy to compare this to historical anecdotes where much of the congregation did not receive and come to the conclusion that most people are receiving in mortal sin.

I can think of no positive interpretation of the facts where, in this day and age, where miniscule Confession attendance + universal reception of the Eucharist=well, I guess they are all in a state of grace.

Fr. John Hardon S.J. once made this same observation, in fact.