View Single Post
Old Feb 15, '07, 1:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default James White Article-12Feb

I was bored so I decided to see what the latest rant over at James Whites page was about...anyway I noticed this article:
Who Has The Fullness of Truth?

There were a couple of paragraphs that didnt sound right and I decided to talk about them:
Here we see a fundamental difference in the understanding of just what conversion is for Protestants and Catholics. In the Scriptures we read how God uses His people to proclaim the Gospel to those the Lord calls (Acts 8:35). The Lord opens hearts to respond (Acts 16:14). This gospel message declares to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness (Rom. 4:5). This is a Gospel of peace (Eph. 6:15), a peace that comes through the blood of the cross (Col. 1:20). This isn't a hypothetical peace; this is a real and lasting peace. Given is not a possible salvation, but an actual salvation. Given is a full and guaranteed salvation, not a salvation including chances of disqualification.
Im not sure what he is getting with the first two "differences" considering there is nothing unCatholic about them...infact in the context of each of the Acts quotes it supports the need for Baptism in ones conversion...you cant get more Catholic than that. Next he goes on with the typical Romans 4 verse but again, he fails to note why or how this is in conflict with Catholic teaching. He is most likely promoting faith alone in a drive by manner but this article doesnt do justice to the issue of conversion. The Eph 6 reference is also interesting considering its in the context of Paul teaching Christains to prepare for the daily struggle they will encounter in trying to live a holy life, this is perfectly inline with Catholicism. Finally the Col passage, while there is nothing unCatholic about 1:20, the follow up INTERPRETATION regarding a "guaranteed salvation" excluding the possibility of "disqualification" IS unCatholic...but thats because its unBiblical...observe some passages from Collosians:
22But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. -Col 1

18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow. -Col 2

It is clear this is an "IF" situation, "IF you continue in your faith"...nothing guarantee here...infact the second quote says explicitly you can be "disqualified"...in total contradiction to what White asserts. Colossians ch3 goes into more detail how Christians must strive to avoid sin.
Sofar it is White that has gone off track in regards to the fullness of the Gospel.
Rather than moving towards the fullness of truth, one needs to stop and ask the Catholic convert why they have moved away from the fullness of truth. They have gone from Christ's completed work on the cross that saved His people from their sins (Matthew 1:21) to an uncertainty of their state of grace, "...[W]ithout a special revelation nobody can with certainty of faith know whether or not he has fulfilled all the conditions that are necessary for achieving justification" (Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma Rockford Ill.: TAN Books and Publishers, 1974), p.262).
Here we see another problem in the OSAS mentality, above he talks about how these protestants who converted to Catholicism have gone to a state of "uncertainty"...so apparently their previous faith which had given them "real and lasting peace...an actual salvation...a full and guaranteed salvation"...has now become "uncertainty of their state of grace"...does this make sense?
As for the quote from Ludwig Ott, again it is the Catholics who have it right:
10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Phil 3