View Single Post
Old Aug 10, '08, 4:02 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)
Default Re: How can the Collapse of the Liturgy be reversed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhy View Post
Allow me to share how I understand the "disintegration of the liturgy" that Ratzinger wrote about.
I think, in light of that extended quote from Ratzinger's 1997 book, the oft-quoted preface (also by Ratzinger) to the 1992 French edition of Msgr. Klaus Gamber's Reform of the Roman Liturgy (originally published in 1979 in German) finds its proper context. Here is the relevant portion (found in English on the back cover of the English translation of the book):
It is difficult to say briefly what is important in this quarrel of liturgists and what is not. But perhaps the following will be useful. J. A. Jungmann, one of the truly great liturgists of our century, defined the liturgy of his time, such as it could be understood in the light of historical research, as a "liturgy which is the fruit of development"....

What happened after the Council was something else entirely: in the place of liturgy as the fruit of development came fabricated liturgy. We abandoned the organic, living process of growth and development over centuries, and replaced it -- as in a manufacturing process -- with a fabrication, a banal on-the-spot product. Gamber, with the vigilance of a true prophet and the courage of a true witness, opposed this falsification, a and, thanks to his incredibly rich knowledge, indefatigably taught us about the living fullness of a true liturgy.
I do not think it can be argued convincingly that what Ratzinger was referring to here, and what Gamber was opposing in his book, was merely the liturgical abuses plaguing the reformed liturgy (as has been stated on these forums before); rather, it was the process by which the liturgy was reformed and the resulting "product". I think this is far more likely (in fact, I am certain of it) when this quote is placed next to the "disintegration" quote.

Please do me a favor: don't get this or any other Liturgy & Sacraments thread locked or deleted!

My first book: The Prayers of the People
My second book: The Prayers of the Priest (now in print!)

My Blog: The Cross Reference
Follow me on Twitter @PrayingTheMass