View Single Post
Old Apr 26, '11, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can I recieve a blessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB View Post
Although I don't believe what you are saying is the case, I do believe they start with the Rites, but what always seems to be ignored is the authority of the ordinary to adapt the liturgy for local customs and practices.
Wuth the approval of the Apostolic See, except for the cases where the law admits their independence

22. 1. Regulation of the sacred liturgy depends solely on the authority of the Church, that is, on the Apostolic See and, as laws may determine, on the bishop.

The Church is not democracy. Everything is forbidden which is not explicitly permitted. Jesus Christ gave the binding and loosing power to the hierarchy, not to the laity, lower clergy or even individual bishops. The hierarchy can sahre this power, but had to do so explicitly. There is not even resemblance of the democracy: do whatever I want unless it is forbidden.

NB. The control over the Liturgy was in the hand of the Ordinary until St Pius V. He abolished this right (except for the local calendars) , and it was not brought back. Only the Hierarchy (Pope and the Council) could change it back.