Thread: The Atomic Bomb
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, '11, 1:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: The Atomic Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Did you read the document? It is a transcript from their communications. To say that there weren't many clues in their communications is absolutely wrong. The Emperor himself had ordered that Japan seek an end to the war.

As for the reason they didn't just come out and say it, they did repeatedly, but not directly to the U.S. because the U.S. was seeking only unconditional surrender and Japan wanted to save face by going through a neutral third party (as has often been the case throughout the history of warfare). The Japanese did sent their communications using code that they knew the U.S. could read, however. The U.S. knew that any surrender that didn't protect the Emperor would not be accepted, and in the end the Emperor had to be maintained precisely for that reason; Japan was seeking surrender precisely on the terms the U.S. eventually gave them.

The U.S. refused to pursue that avenue for ending the war prior to targeting civilians, so any claims that the bombings were a last resort to avoid further deaths is complete fabrication. Remember, unconditional surrender is not a typical demand in warfare, and historically has rarely been used precisely because it makes ending conflicts more difficult.
The Japanese had created a NEW WAY OF SURRENDERING.

It is to fight to the death, but only to make it look like they were fighting to the death ... because they weren't REALLY fighting to the death.

I guess periodically, they would whisper, "we surrender".

Reread my list of things they could have done, but didn't do.

They could have stood down their air forces and brought their troops in China home and parked their submarines. Maybe mailed a letter to Allen Dulles in Switzerland. But they did none of these things.

It is the obligation of the speaker to make sure his [or her] listeners get the intended message.

So, I guess, what we had here was a failure to communicate.

When you WANT to do something, you "do".

You don't "try".