View Single Post
Old Jan 4, '12, 8:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Old School)
Default Re: Scriptural evidence for "pre-mortal existence". Is there any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcmullan View Post
Excellent reply, a lot of well researched scriptures and well presented too. It seems to me that the three terms body soul and spirit are used inconsistently though. Here's my working definition:

When Adam was in the Garden of Eden, his body and spirit were seperate. God breathed the Breath of Life and brought them together to form a living soul.

I think you might not agree, what is your definition? Are body, soul and spirit seperate?
Thank you for that commentary. I really appreciate it. I do tend to try and put a lot of thought and heart into my replies, and take the subject matter very seriously. That's not always easy for me to do, because I normally tend toward being a bit of clown.

I actually debated whether or not I should use the quote from 1 Thessalonians, because it also includes a reference to 'your whole spirit'. But, I'm leaning toward that possibly being a reference to the state of our soul, like our being in a 'spiritual' frame of soul when we follow Jesus, as opposed to our still living 'according to the flesh' when we don't. Many people confuse those two words, spirit and soul, as much as they do eternal and immortal. Even in scripture, occasionally there seems to be a problem when they use them interchangeably. I think it's because the soul really is a spiritual 'thing', so it's fairly easy to use those two words like that.

I definitely believe that the body and soul are completely separate. That's quite obviously referenced throughout the whole Bible. I believe you are referring to this verse:
[Genesis 2:7] And the Lord God formed man of the slime of the earth: and breathed into his face the breath of life, and man became a living soul.
IMHO, it says that when God "breathed" life into Adam, he was bringing the body that He had created to life, by infusing it with a living soul. Therefore, it's still consistent with the idea that it's the soul that gives the body life, and God created them both at that moment. It was the infusion of Adam's body with the soul that God created for him, that actually made him into a living, breathing human being. Before he was given his soul, he wasn't alive yet. He was still just like a statue that God had formed out of the "clay" of the earth. The soul, since it's spiritual and not composed of matter, is just shown to enter the body by God 'breathing' into his face.

"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament." ~ Padré Pio