View Single Post
Old Feb 26, '12, 7:23 am

Religion: Catholic (Ex Protestant)
Default Re: How do we know those who have passed on can hear us in Heaven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowfulagony View Post
Any scriptural basis?
Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)
Quote:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
It appears that the writer of Hebrews considered that we could be seen even now by a vast cloud of previously deceased witnesses who are now in heaven.

Which from my point of view is a bit disconcerting. I don't know about you, but there are things that I'd prefer to be strictly between me, God and the devil. I think we're going to find it a bit embarassing that our previously deceased friends, relatives and fellow Christians who might have gone to heaven before us have been witnessing all our sinful behaviour and personal peccadilloes.

The only comfort we might receive is that we might be given the chance to see their own failings, or perhaps they are so aware of how far short of divine holiness they themselves were while still alive on earth, that they won't judge us as our fellow living humans would be inclined to do.

Or as Christ said, Luke 8:17 NIV
Quote:
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.
I suppose this could be seen in another context, in that God sees it all. But it seems to go further than that, and it appears we're going to have our whole life brought out into the open. Not a very comforting thought in my opinion.

Or if you like, there have been, are, and will be no hidden affairs.

Last edited by Bob Crowley; Feb 26, '12 at 7:26 am. Reason: Later inclusion