Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 2, '07, 12:23 pm
Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Default Karl Keating's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Karl's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Topics:

Good News About The Good Knox
Confusing Counsel About Communion
Bad Vibes From Disbelieving Scientists

==========
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_070102.asp
Old Jan 2, '07, 12:59 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Quote:
I mention the USCCB newsletter because the very last line of the "Seven Questions" article reads this way: "Priests should also keep in mind potential health risks associated with intinction, especially in the coming flu season."

This puzzles me because it seems that health risks would be lower when using intinction than when using, as most parishes do, separate cups for the Precious Blood.

In the latter case, communicants drink from a cup, with the lip of the cup then being wiped by the extraordinary minister of Holy Communion. This cleansing is good, but any physician will acknowledge that mere wiping cannot remove all bacteria or viruses from a cup. Intinction gets around this problem.
I've never witnessed a Catholic service using separate cups for the Precious Blood -- Only those using one or more common cups. (I have witnessed protestant services where individuals received separate thimblesful of wine/grape juice).

I too was puzzled by this instruction ("potential health risks associated with intinction" !?!? -- modesty prevents me saying "great minds think alike" -- oops, there I said it ). While several participants point out the risk of the priest transferring germs from one communicant to another, I (and several others on the thread, I think) fail to see how this risk is any different for intinction vs receiving the non-intincted host on the tongue vs receiving the (non-intincted!) host in the hand.

tee
Old Jan 2, '07, 1:24 pm

Default Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Tee, you beat me to it while I was doing a search for that thread!

Seeing how it ran from Dec 5-6, I'm guessing Mr. Keating must have been away from the forums, otherwise how could he have possibly resisted joining in?

It does seem odd, I find, that the USCCB document only mentions flu season and intinction in that paragraph; nothing about flu season and the common cup. I wonder why? <--(no sarcasm; just wondering why that's so).
Old Jan 2, '07, 5:19 pm
Banned

Unhappy Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieC View Post
Tee, you beat me to it while I was doing a search for that thread!

Seeing how it ran from Dec 5-6, I'm guessing Mr. Keating must have been away from the forums, otherwise how could he have possibly resisted joining in?

It does seem odd, I find, that the USCCB document only mentions flu season and intinction in that paragraph; nothing about flu season and the common cup. I wonder why? <--(no sarcasm; just wondering why that's so).

I have been informed that, as a Recovered Alcoholic, I do not need to take the wine, as the bread alone is sufficient Is this true for others who may not want to drink the wine, such as health reasons of flus and colds?
Old Jan 2, '07, 6:08 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruschak View Post
I have been informed that, as a Recovered Alcoholic, I do not need to take the wine, as the bread alone is sufficient Is this true for others who may not want to drink the wine, such as health reasons of flus and colds?

The Fullness of Christ's Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity is present in both the Sacred Species. Thus, the unleavened Host is fully Christ's Most Sacred Body and His Most Precious Blood, just as the Chalice contains, in its Sacred Species, the Most Sacred Body and the Most Precious Blood. Nothing is lacking in either. If you cannot receive from the Chalice (because the accidentals are still present) due to a medical condition, such as alcoholism, it is sufficient to receive only the unleavened Host (unleavened in the Latin Rite). There are also those with conditions that preclude them from rec. the Host, so that they can only receive from the Chalice.
Old Jan 3, '07, 8:47 am

Quote:
CRABBED SCIENTISTS

I did not hear about a November forum held at the Salk Institute in nearby La Jolla until it was over. It was a gathering of famous and not-so-famous atheists and agnostics. The title was "Beyond Belief," and the theme was that religion is at best a crutch and more usually a sham.

The forum did not offer a wide spectrum of opinions. One participant said "viewpoints have run the gamut from A to B: Should we bash religion with a crowbar or only with a baseball bat?"
HAHAHAHA!

One lone voice able to think for themselves.

Quote:
Richard Dawkins, the evolutionary biologist from Oxford and the author of the recent "God Delusion," said, "I am utterly fed up with the respect that we--all of us, including the secular among us--are brainwashed into bestowing on religion. Children are systematically taught that there is a higher kind of knowledge which comes from faith, which comes from revelation, which comes from Scripture, which comes from tradition, and that it is the equal if not the superior of knowledge that comes from real science."
"real science" cannot measure love.
"real science" cannot explain supernatural phenomena.
"real science" has no ethics
"real science" has no explanation for the miracles at Lourdes.

If "real science" is the only knowledge as he is implying, then that's truly closing off a mind to all the knowledge out there.
Old Jan 3, '07, 10:21 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Do you remember in the oldays pre 65 i guess when we didn't do the wine, just the host not to be against the blood of Jesus but why don't we just receive the host? dessert
Old Jan 3, '07, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Do you remember in the oldays pre 65 i guess when we didn't do the wine, just the host not to be against the blood of Jesus but why don't we just receive the host? dessert
Although I don't have the actual citation at this time, I think the idea of allowing the Precious Blood to be recieved is to have fuller participation of the laity by having them recieve the Sacrament under both kinds (if they want to) as was done in the early Church.
Old Jan 3, '07, 11:07 am
Observing Member

Hi, this is my first post, although I have enjoyed reading all of yours for a long time.

I am confused about the issue of intinction because I thought it was not allowed by the Church. Or is it up to the authority of the local diocese? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks! ! !
Old Jan 3, '07, 11:19 am
President, Catholic Answers

Religion: Catholic, of course

Priests are free to use intinction. I know of a few parishes that offer Communion that way. One good thing about it is that there is less likelihood of the Precious Blood being spilled with intinction than with the more common practice of using separate cups held by EMHCs.
Old Jan 3, '07, 11:54 am
Observing Member

Question Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

I, too, thought that intinction was expressly prohibited in the GIRM. Are extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist able to offer intinction? This subject arose last night in our Men's Fellowship Group meeting, and one such person indicated that direction had been received from the Pastor to not allow someone to dip the host into the Precious Blood. I've heard similar instructions given to the congregation by priests in other parishes as well.
Old Jan 3, '07, 12:31 pm
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruschak View Post
There are some medicines which have an effect on the liver, e,g,, the arthritis medicine methotrexate. Thus, no alcohol, not even a drop.

Gabriel Austin
Old Jan 2, '07, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin View Post
Karl's E-Letter of January 2, 2007

Topics:

...Bad Vibes From Disbelieving Scientists

==========
Pilgimage of Grace (on Angelqueen) tied this story together pretty well with the Columbine murders (as well as my recent blog piece on East German Youth):

http://www.angelqueen.org/forum/view...=130362#130362

It is this atheistic philosophy that underlies most of cosmology and biology that actually drives the results to be in line with the presumptions. We know that these more speculative fields (especially cosmology and evolution) are driven more by philosophy than actual science at this point. This is largely because the amount of information we have and can obtain is limited. As Catholics, we should give science a chance, but we should not rush to reinterpret the Bible and Magesterium everytime a scientist sneezes. As Bellarmine basically said- let them prove their case, then we will consider it.

The Columbine case is just a taste of some of the unforseen consequences of this luciferian philosophy. Here is a quote regarding Columbine:

Quote:

Rohrbough, however, backed up the claim without a flinch. He told O’Reilly that evolution is implicated because it “gives the right to exterminate the weak.” Even more startling, he claimed that tapes made by the boys before they went on the shooting rampage clearly state that they were plotting their act because of evolution. That was evidenced further by the fact that Klebold wore a T-shirt on the fateful day proclaiming “Natural Selection.”
Rohrbough was frustrated that this evidence has not been released. “Evolution was the basis for the attack on Columbine,” he told O’Reilly; “They said it themselves. Unfortunately, the sheriff’s department won’t release the tape.
Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com
Old Jan 2, '07, 2:39 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
our chaplain, Fr. Vincent Serpa, dips the host into the Precious Blood and then places the host on the communicant's tongue.
Yes! That is kinda' what I experienced when I visited a Melkite Catholic Church. Melkite Catholics use beautiful fresh white bread instead of our usual unleavened bread wafers. Melkites use a big white towel to catch any drips. I imagine more dripping with spongy soft bread dipped in wine.

I don't understand why most Catholic priests don't do it the Melkite way year round....minus the fresh leavened bread of course.

My favorite flu map http://www.fluwatch.com/index2.html

Last edited by contemplative; Jan 2, '07 at 2:55 pm.
Old Jan 2, '07, 4:18 pm

I was lucky enough to find an old copy of Ronald Knox's translation of the bible online recently. That bible ROCKS!

How come they didn't keep it in print?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008