Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > The Clubhouse
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 13, '08, 7:50 pm
Gertabelle's Avatar
Gertabelle Gertabelle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 14, 2006
Posts: 5,151
Religion: Catholic
Cool Acrostics poetry thread

An acrostic is where you use the letters of a word to write a poem. Each letter of the word becomes the first letter of each line of the poem. (see below)

The next poster uses the last word of the previous poster as the acrostic for their poem. For example:

AUTUMN

All the leaves have fallen
Under the trees,
Til the wind blows them
Up into the air.
Mostly, they crunch under foot.
Now there are none to be FOUND.

The next poster would write an acrostic using the word "found."

Well, let's play!!!
__________________

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 13, '08, 8:02 pm
Irish Kathy's Avatar
Irish Kathy Irish Kathy is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Posts: 11,690
Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertabelle View Post
An acrostic is where you use the letters of a word to write a poem. Each letter of the word becomes the first letter of each line of the poem. (see below)

The next poster uses the last word of the previous poster as the acrostic for their poem. For example:

AUTUMN

All the leaves have fallen
Under the trees,
Til the wind blows them
Up into the air.
Mostly, they crunch under foot.
Now there are none to be FOUND.

The next poster would write an acrostic using the word "found."

Well, let's play!!!
Hi Gertie -- I'm in like Flynn. I just hope I have the talent to make a good poem.

FOUND

Forget yourself, remember others.
Open your heart to those around you.
Understand that Jesus loves everyone very much.
Nothing else is as important as love.
Don't place your trust in anyone but JESUS!!!
__________________
“God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself Fatherhood, Sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love.” Pope John Paul II

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 14, '08, 5:09 am
Gertabelle's Avatar
Gertabelle Gertabelle is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 14, 2006
Posts: 5,151
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kathy View Post
Hi Gertie -- I'm in like Flynn. I just hope I have the talent to make a good poem.

FOUND

Forget yourself, remember others.
Open your heart to those around you.
Understand that Jesus loves everyone very much.
Nothing else is as important as love.
Don't place your trust in anyone but JESUS!!!
JESUS

Journey to Jerusalem
Exquisite love
Sanctifying sacrifice
Uplifted
Salvation for SINNERS.
__________________

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 14, '08, 5:45 pm
Irish Kathy's Avatar
Irish Kathy Irish Kathy is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Posts: 11,690
Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertabelle View Post
JESUS

Journey to Jerusalem
Exquisite love
Sanctifying sacrifice
Uplifted
Salvation for SINNERS.
Shall I go to confession today or not?
I don't really want to tell anyone what I have done wrong.
Nobody needs to know my faults but Jesus anyway.
Not even my most intimate friends and family.
Everyone is a sinner, nobody gets away scott free.
Relief, however, always comes when I admit my mistakes to a Priest.
__________________
“God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself Fatherhood, Sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love.” Pope John Paul II

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 18, '08, 6:43 pm
JFT JFT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 4, 2005
Posts: 10,061
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kathy View Post
Shall I go to confession today or not?
I don't really want to tell anyone what I have done wrong.
Nobody needs to know my faults but Jesus anyway.
Not even my most intimate friends and family.
Everyone is a sinner, nobody gets away scott free.
Relief, however, always comes when I admit my mistakes to a Priest.
Pray when in church,
Rest in the Lord's Peace,
In all thing, trust God's plan,
Even when it is difficult,
So you can finish the race
To enjoy God's perfect love.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 18, '08, 6:49 pm
Irish Kathy's Avatar
Irish Kathy Irish Kathy is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Posts: 11,690
Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
Pray when in church,
Rest in the Lord's Peace,
In all thing, trust God's plan,
Even when it is difficult,
So you can finish the race
To enjoy God's perfect love.
Thanks JFT, you gave me a fairly easy one.

Love consists in trying to care about others.
Open your heart to everyone around you.
Value what they have to say.
Even when you don't understand them, God is still their Father.
__________________
“God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself Fatherhood, Sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love.” Pope John Paul II

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 19, '08, 6:25 pm
JFT JFT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 4, 2005
Posts: 10,061
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kathy View Post
Thanks JFT, you gave me a fairly easy one.

Love consists in trying to care about others.
Open your heart to everyone around you.
Value what they have to say.
Even when you don't understand them, God is still their Father.
You're welcomed, Irish Kathy.

Father knows best,
After all due consideration,
Then acts accordingly.
He gives us what we need,
Even if it seems incongruous,
Rather than what we selfishly want.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 19, '08, 6:32 pm
Irish Kathy's Avatar
Irish Kathy Irish Kathy is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Posts: 11,690
Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
You're welcomed, Irish Kathy.

Father knows best,
After all due consideration,
Then acts accordingly.
He gives us what we need,
Even if it seems incongruous,
Rather than what we selfishly want.
WANT

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.
Helping others is one way of doing this.
Nobody got anywhere by being selfish all the time.
Today is the day to truely do something beautiful for God, like Mother Theresa.
__________________
“God in His deepest mystery is not a solitude, but a family, since He has in Himself Fatherhood, Sonship, and the essence of the family, which is love.” Pope John Paul II

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jul 10, '10, 11:14 pm
1sicht 1sicht is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 28, 2010
Posts: 117
Religion: inquisitive believer
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kathy View Post
WANT

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.
Helping others is one way of doing this.
Nobody got anywhere by being selfish all the time.
Today is the day to truely do something beautiful for God, like Mother Theresa.
Sorry, second line is the wrong letter, so I'll pick it up again:

We've all got a hole in our soul.
Ain't nothin we can do to make it whole.
Nagging, gnawing desire.
That's why He died---to take us higher.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jul 12, '10, 7:08 pm
JFT JFT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 4, 2005
Posts: 10,061
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicht View Post
Sorry, second line is the wrong letter, so I'll pick it up again:

We've all got a hole in our soul.
Ain't nothin we can do to make it whole.
Nagging, gnawing desire.
That's why He died---to take us higher.
This one's for Irish Kathy (if she still be out there).

Manna was sent from on high,
Owing to their weakness,
To sustain them in the desert, and
Help strengthen them to resist any and all
Evil that they'd meet when wandering
Round in the heat.

To get them through, they'd
Have to stand strong. But,
Evil followed them all
'Round on their jouney. The Devil's
Envy poured out
Sin's poison on them, and
All who sinned were punished by God.

It may not be in the company of Wordsworth or Longfellow, but at least I gave it the old college try. And, I also kept it simple for you, Irish Kathy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jul 13, '10, 6:38 pm
JFT JFT is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: August 4, 2005
Posts: 10,061
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
This one's for Irish Kathy (if she still be out there).

Manna was sent from on high,
Owing to their weakness,
To sustain them in the desert, and
Help strengthen them to resist any and all
Evil that they'd meet when wandering
Round in the heat.

To get them through, they'd
Have to stand strong. But,
Evil followed them all
'Round on their jouney. The Devil's
Envy poured out
Sin's poison on them, and
All who sinned were punished by God.

It may not be in the company of Wordsworth or Longfellow, but at least I gave it the old college try. And, I also kept it simple for you, Irish Kathy.
Hi, Irish Kathy. Are you still out there?

God may propose and man dispose
Of many thing in this world, but we humans must
Do things in conjunction with faith.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Oct 31, '12, 9:43 am
Josiah k's Avatar
Josiah k Josiah k is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 5, 2012
Posts: 1,328
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Some where there tread an angle of mercy, some how

We find the state of fright, is there hope for yesterday or can the time`s be shorter

Against the space we run from.

Now there is a golden thought that font`s

take away, fly my beautiful partner and let us catch that feather you leave




some day`s are finding us knee, not too benign, the life you gave, have mercy on the blind of heart, we try to beat with thee, we try to fly as walking would serve,
Angle of justice, wisdom restore, wisdom has touched, wisdom has . .


Footprint`s
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Oct 31, '12, 11:05 pm
Josiah k's Avatar
Josiah k Josiah k is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 5, 2012
Posts: 1,328
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Word`s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green-world-c2a9-arild-heitmann.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	15354  
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Dec 24, '12, 2:25 am
Josiah k's Avatar
Josiah k Josiah k is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 5, 2012
Posts: 1,328
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

W hen the time is right the year end is near, the sparrow`s fly with bequeath the wind, the mallard of winter maxim.

O rphelia recline with backdrop of gift gazing, thee the men

R etort such nostalgia and

D iamond`s will sparkle on the hand`s, a matrimony of C-hrist

S enora count yee your blessing, the sentiment of poem reach`s out and the gravity of children hold`s us up this time of Year , " So---- be----- it ", so ------ when the time is right, your . .



great blessing`s to you moderator`s ,may your next year be of pleasure also //////

Last edited by Josiah k; Dec 24, '12 at 2:39 am.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Dec 24, '12, 7:24 pm
raikou raikou is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2006
Posts: 949
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Acrostics poetry thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah k View Post
W hen the time is right the year end is near, the sparrow`s fly with bequeath the wind, the mallard of winter maxim.

O rphelia recline with backdrop of gift gazing, thee the men

R etort such nostalgia and

D iamond`s will sparkle on the hand`s, a matrimony of C-hrist

S enora count yee your blessing, the sentiment of poem reach`s out and the gravity of children hold`s us up this time of Year , " So---- be----- it ", so ------ when the time is right, your . .



great blessing`s to you moderator`s ,may your next year be of pleasure also //////
Oh no, sorry. Got confused!

You are here for a reason - remember it son.

Everything that happened and all you have done

Accept them and learn whatever you can

Review your life and make better use of your remaining time
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > The Clubhouse

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8345Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5087CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4402Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4036OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: aellis422
3857SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3664Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: daughterstm
3268Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3242Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3085For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:18 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.