Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 29, '09, 7:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Sarum Rite?

Do the accommodations made in Anglicanorum Coetibus to preserve the Anglican liturgical traditions include the dispensation to say Mass according to the Sarum Rite?

The Sarum Rite was the ancient Latin liturgy of the Mass in England. It was never formally supressed by the Catholic Church, but fell into disuse after the Reformation, as English Catholic priests had to be trained in continental Europe, and so learned the Tridentine Rite. Because it fell into disuse, it can't easily be revived.

The Anglicans don't have an unbroken history of celebrating the Sarum Rite. All Anglican churches used the distinctly Protestant Book of Common Prayer for many centuries, but some Anglo-Catholic liturgical reformers revived the Sarum liturgy in the late 19th or early 20th century.

If the new Anglican ordinariate want to celebrate the Sarum Rite, will that be permitted? If so, will it also be permitted for other Roman Catholics in England?

I realise this is a rather obscure question, not sure anyone will know the answer.
Old Nov 29, '09, 10:46 am

Default Re: Sarum Rite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL82 View Post
Do the accommodations made in Anglicanorum Coetibus to preserve the Anglican liturgical traditions include the dispensation to say Mass according to the Sarum Rite?

The Sarum Rite was the ancient Latin liturgy of the Mass in England. It was never formally supressed by the Catholic Church, but fell into disuse after the Reformation, as English Catholic priests had to be trained in continental Europe, and so learned the Tridentine Rite. Because it fell into disuse, it can't easily be revived.

The Anglicans don't have an unbroken history of celebrating the Sarum Rite. All Anglican churches used the distinctly Protestant Book of Common Prayer for many centuries, but some Anglo-Catholic liturgical reformers revived the Sarum liturgy in the late 19th or early 20th century.

If the new Anglican ordinariate want to celebrate the Sarum Rite, will that be permitted? If so, will it also be permitted for other Roman Catholics in England?

I realise this is a rather obscure question, not sure anyone will know the answer.
I had contacts with an Anglican priest and he did mention this was one of the possibilities being discussed with Rome as far back as 8 years ago. The Orthodox have already made use of this rite in their Western Rite parishes, so I do not see why we would be any different in our approach. It is not a difficult rite to learn and in fact I wish our local parishes used that!

www.jbs.org www.traditioninaction.org www.tfp.org
Old Dec 1, '09, 9:01 am

I can't speak for Anglo Catholic parishes in England, only in the US. As a former Anglo Catholic all the parishes I attended used the Anglican Missal or another missal.

Today in the Anglican Use parishes the liturgy does have parts from the Sarum Use included. The problem I see is that the Sarum Use is not something that former Anglicans/Episcopalians here in the US would be familiar with.

I have spoken to some priests who are thinking about accepting the Pope's offer and they want to use the Anglican Missal.

Of course we won't know what the outcome will be, but I assume that the Anglican Use priests and others will be part of the committee who decides which form the liturgy will take. Hopefully they will leave out the parts that Rome included that actually come from the Latin Mas, some say from the 1979 BCP, but if you study it, you will find that the Episcopal church took much of the Latin Rite Mass and used it in their Rite II.

The parts that were inserted in the AU liturgy are mostly short responses, i.e. Christ has died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again. Also some parts of the Mass were moved from one place to another, more in following with the Latin Rite Mass. In my former parish we always had the Last Gospel. It will be interesting to see what form the new Anglican Use liturgy will be.

I don't recall any of the Anglo Catholic parishes in the US using the BCP. Of course there are our traditional prayers, the confession, the Prayer of Humble Access and the Thanksgiving that come from the BCP, without these prayers there would not be any Anglican form to the liturgy and they might as well just use the older TLM liturgy, which is not the Anglican tradition since Cramer.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette
Old Dec 4, '09, 10:15 pm

Religion: RC

...the Ordinariate has the faculty to celebrate the Holy Eucharist and the other Sacraments, the Liturgy of the Hours and other liturgical celebrations according to the liturgical books proper to the Anglican tradition, which have been approved by the Holy See... (AC III.)

Currently the only text approved by Rome is the Book of Divine Worship. The Anglican Missal is likely to be requested by many. The 1928 Prayer Book may also prove popular. Some may indeed desire the Sarum missal. AC leaves the door open to the possibility that more than one missal may be approved. The implication is that Rome will consider requests, so as to maintain the liturgical, spiritual and pastoral traditions of the Anglican Communion within the Catholic Church, as a precious gift nourishing the faith of the members of the Ordinariate and as a treasure to be shared. (AC III.)

Many in the existing Pastoral Provision congregations would welcome the opportunity to leave the BDW behind, along with the PP, in exchange for something more purely Anglican. Like the Novus Ordo, the BDW Mass lacks an offertory, and includes the awkward Orate Fratres. Also, the BDW allows the use of Novus Ordo Eucharistic prayers, as alternatives to the Knox translation of the Roman Canon, but in all cases requires the use of the horrible ICEL translation of the words of institution.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009