Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 27, '10, 3:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default TC Forum Protocol: PLEASE READ

It is unfortunate that we are unable to discuss the liturgy and speak charitably to each other or about others. In other words, it seems that every time this subject comes up, it eventually ends up in arguing, labeling people, and labeling the forms of the mass as if they can be pitted against each other like football teams.

Such behavior is beneath the intentions of this forum, the reverence due to the subject and the respect due to others. Therefore, all threads about the OF and EF that derail into name calling, labeling people or dishonor the liturgy by pitting one form over the other shall be closed and the posters run the risk of having their accounts moderated or even closed.

If you want to discuss this topic:

1. speak about the liturgy with due honor, regardless of what form you prefer;

2. DO NOT pit one form against the other;

3. Refrain from labeling either the form or the individuals who appreciate one or the other.

4. Bullying will not be tolerated.

If you encounter any problem of this sort in future discussions, please inform me ASAP.

In the unlikely event that it is too difficult to observe these rules, we can always place a moratorium on all discussions about EF and OF, on the TC forum, until cooler heads prevail.

Thank you

Thomas Casey

Mary, Mother of Wisdom, be with us as we navigate through faith
Old Jul 11, '11, 4:17 pm

Lightbulb Good subjects for tc threads

I’ve been asked why I have deleted some posts and threads and why I have issued infractions in some instances. There are posts and threads that while they may be very interesting subjects, they don’t belong under the heading Traditional Catholicism. Other posts simply violate the rules of appropriate behavior.

The following list is a sample of good areas to discuss under the heading, “Traditional Catholicism”. It’s not exhaustive; but it’s a place to start.
  • Extraordinary Form of the Liturgy
  • Church History
  • Classics of Western Spirituality
  • Classics in Western Theology
  • Customs
  • Church writings
  • The Fathers of the Church
  • The Desert Fathers & Mothers
  • The great schools of Western spirituality
  • The stories of the saints
  • Western religious orders and religious congregations

Other subjects and themes are better in other forums. We ask that you post them there. Some examples of these are:
  • Moral questions and issues (Morality or Social Justice)
  • Rubrics for mass, sacraments and Liturgy of the Hours (Liturgy & Sacraments)
  • Liturgical music and liturgical books (Liturgy & Sacraments)
  • Prayers and devotions (Spirituality)
  • All matters related to Eastern Catholicism (Eastern Catholicism)
  • Discussions about the bible and editions of the bible (Sacred Scripture)
  • Discussions about other faiths (Non-Catholic Religions)
  • Debates on dogma (Apologetics)
Please do not post the following on this forum. They are not part of Traditional Catholicism. These subjects are better for blogs, where you can regulate the content and response to avoid conflicts and violations of charity.
  • Criticisms of particular clerics, religious, religious communities, dioceses
  • Proselytizing for the SSPX or any group whose current status is irregular or is not in communion with the Catholic Church
  • Bashing the popes, Vatican II, the Vatican (Holy See), the Conference of Bishops
  • Pitting one form of the mass against another
We want to give the TC Forum a slight “facelift” so that it becomes a point where people can come for information, share experiences and enjoy each other’s insights and ideas, have healthy discussions and most of all, a forum that radiates Catholic charity and fidelity to the Church for those non-Catholics who are quietly observing.

During the next few days, I will be moving some threads and closing some. If you have any suggestions for this "menu", please send them to me via PM. If I don't use them, please don't be offended. I have to stay within certain parameters that govern CAF. Ideas are welcome.

I thank all of you for your support in making this most interesting and most pleasant forum on Traditional Catholicism. Let's go for it.

I'll leave this open for a few days and then post it as a sticky.

Old Apr 10, '13, 9:12 am

Default Post correctly

If there is a forum that addresses your specific question or interest, please post there.

If the question or interest does not fit into any forum, please post it on Back Fence.

Only post in TC Forum anything that is about Catholic tradition or Catholic customs, which does not fit into any of the other forums.

Thank You

Old Jul 12, '11, 6:41 pm

Default Re: Traditional Catholicism Forum Facelift

If you have questions, please send them via PM. They reach me faster than leaving them on the thread. I'm always happy to answer them . . . if I know the answer. Otherwise, I forward them to one of the other moderators or an administrator.

Don't forget, send me your suggestions for Traditional Catholic subjects to put on our new menu. Keep subject broad enough so that people can approach it from different angles.

For example: Church Fathers covers a lot of territory and teaching. Something like Patristic Liturgical Practices is a good thread for Church Fathers, but would not be a good subject for our menu, because it's too narrow.

Thanks.

Old Mar 14, '13, 10:12 pm

Default Pope Watch

The following will not be tolerated:

1. Bashing the Holy Father

2. Passing judgment on him and his actions, because they don't meet your approval or your preferences

3. Attempting to impose the model of previous popes on the new pope

4. Labeling the new pope

5. Speaking about his papacy in a negative way, without giving the man a chance

6. Or any other behavior that the moderators find unacceptable on a Catholic forum

Such posts will be removed and infractions given.

Please keep in mind that Catholic Answers is truly Catholic, faithful to the Holy See and respectful of the Holy Father.

Old Mar 23, '13, 4:01 pm

Default Re: Pope Watch

In our forum discussions people must keep in mind that

a. the person on the other side cannot see you or hear you.

b. your goal is to express your belief, concern, question, knowledge, not to make another person look bad.

c. a Catholic forum is not a debate. You do not post here to win an argument.

d. polite words such as please, thank you, excuse me and others go a long way in helping your readers know that you're not on the attack.

e. the concerns of an individual or a group are not everyone else's concerns and one should not be offended if they're not.

f. airing out someone's dirty laundry, without the person being here to defend himself is no different than what the media does to Catholics.

g. most people, including the pope, are not our children or spouses. Therefore they don't owe us explanations for everything that makes us uncomfortable.

h. non-Catholics are watching and listening to us. How we speak about our pope and Church can encouraged their curiosity or reinforce their separation.

j. many of our concerns are best addressed in spiritual direction, a talk with the pastor, or in confession

Old Jun 8, '13, 9:34 pm

Default Gossip

In a recent homily, Pope Francis spoke about the evil of gossip. It seems that some posters did not understand.

When you repeat what you heard, but is unsubstantiated, that's gossip.

When you repeat something that may be substantiated, but others have no need to know, that's also gossip.

When you post about what someone did or failed to do, when the other members on the forum don't need to know this, it's also gossip.

Please do not use the forum for gossip.

Ask questions about Catholic traditions and customs and answer the questions. Leave out the stories about who said, who did, who did not do.

Last edited by Thomas Casey; Jun 13, '13 at 7:45 am.
Old Jun 11, '13, 11:02 pm

Default Re: Gossip

And then of course there's Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ and beloved St. James who get into all this in great detail.

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment.

Matthew 15:18
But the things which proceed out of the mouth, come forth from the heart, and those things defile a man.

James 1:[26] And if any man think himself to be religious, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his own heart, this man' s religion is vain. [27] Religion clean and undefiled before God and the Father, is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their tribulation: and to keep one' s self unspotted from this world.

And his chapters 2 and 3 carry on that same idea...

Old Oct 8, '13, 4:09 pm

Default Evaluating parishes on TC Forum

Please do not use TC Forum to filter, evaluate or seek recommendations on parishes. It's not practical. What one person finds comfortable, any person my find just as uncomfortable.

The parish deserves respect. It's not a product that's on sale. It's a community of people. If you live there, you don't want to be evaluated by strangers on an Internet forum.

Finally, it has nothing to do with Catholic tradition nor Catholic customs.

The best way to find a parish that you like is the same way that you would find a physician or a school. Speak to friends and others who live in the area, get their feedback and make a choice. But don't make those opinions public on a Catholic forum. They may or may not be reliable.

Thank you

Old Oct 8, '13, 5:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Evaluating parishes on TC Forum

Thank you for the reminder! Some of us feel comfortable where we are (warts and all!) while some seem to have just a lot of complaints. Specific problems with a Parish are one thing, but I don't think the Parish or the names of the Priests should be given.
Old Oct 8, '13, 5:37 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Does this apply to positive comments as well?

For example, there is a parish that is often mentioned here in a positive light and one day when I am visiting that state, I would love to visit it. I wouldn't know anything about it if it wasn't mentioned here, nor do I know anyone Catholic in that state.
Old Oct 8, '13, 6:36 pm

Sounds like a reasonable request, Mr. Casey.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism