Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Did you cry while watching/ listening to the Holy Father's funeral?
Of course I did! Who wouldn't? 63 64.29%
Of course, but then I cry when I pass a dead armadillo on the side of the road. 3 3.06%
Yes I did, even though I am not usually moved to tears. 28 28.57%
No. Real men (women) don't cry. 4 4.08%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 9, '05, 10:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Tears during the funeral

Did you cry while you watched/listened to the funeral for the Holy Father? If so, what did you find most touching?

I only ask because I seldom get choked up over such matters. But when they turned and dipped the coffin for one last time, I lost it.
Old Apr 9, '05, 10:08 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics
Default Re: Tears during the funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton
Did you cry while you watched/listened to the funeral for the Holy Father? If so, what did you find most touching?

I only ask because I seldom get choked up over such matters. But when they turned and dipped the coffin for one last time, I lost it.
That is when I lost my mind too It hit me like a ton of bricks that this was it Then the bell started tolling Man I went to sleep crying and got up crying with that scene in my mind
Old Apr 9, '05, 10:17 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton

Wow...that's when I totally lost control...I felt sad and happy at the same time... Sad that he has left us and Happy that he's going home and he did it ALL so well...
Old Apr 9, '05, 10:26 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

Quote:
I got misty-eyed during parts of the Mass, but when this event happened I just started bawling. It was the chest-wracking, collapsing kind of bawling too. I never, ever cry like that. I know he is with God, and he is happy, but that moment was my final good-bye, that's when it really sunk in that he was going home now, and I woulnd't get to see him again for a very long time.

Judging by the crowd, this was a common response. Everybody was waving good-bye to him as they carried him away, and when they turned back and entered the Basilica, the hands all dropped and you could see them over everyone's faces. I saw a lot of grown men sobbing in that crowd, in the same chest-wracking, fall-to-your-knees way. It was amazing.
Old Apr 10, '05, 12:22 am

I cried during the funeral as I watched it on television. I have also cried every day since our Holy Father died. It's hard to accept not having him with us anymore.
It really got to me me when the Eastern Bishops gathered around the Pope's casket after the funeral mass and chanted/prayed. That was really powerful as was the Litany of the Saints.

Still sad and missing His Holiness ....
Old Apr 10, '05, 12:54 am

Oh yes, I surely did weep, several times during the Funeral Mass. I first wept when the Cardinals were coming forth to kiss the altar in the wind. Another was when I saw the Holy Father's personal secretary who was Polish also, I just felt so much for him. Another time I wept when they showed the thousands of people In Krakow mourning. And then, of course, at the end when the bells were tolling. Our lives are now forever changed.
Old Apr 10, '05, 12:56 am

And I am weeping now just thinking about it, God bless him.
Old Apr 10, '05, 1:18 am

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite, exploring Eastern Rite churches :-)
Send a message via AIM to Chrismasfetus

I always get emotional when i see clips of JPII on Easter Sunday blessing the faithful from his window

He looked so frail and weak, yet had the will and strength to make it a point to bless the faithful in Saint Peter's Square. I wish I was there to receive his blessing before he died....

JPII was an inspiration and great moral leader for all... he will be sorely missed

WE LOVE YOU JOHN PAUL 2!!!!

"No priest, no Eucharist. No Eucharist, NO Church."
- Father John Corapi, Fullness of Faith Conference Feb. 2005

John Paul II WE LOVE YOU!
Old Apr 10, '05, 1:23 am
Banned

I do feel sad. but probably due to my low EQ I failed to cry.
Old Apr 10, '05, 3:02 am

Normally I donīt cry, I cried for "The Passion" but I cry few times. But I am sad because we have lost a great Pope.
Old Apr 10, '05, 3:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to CatholicNerd

I cried a great deal. I didn't think that I would, but as soon as the choir of the Capella Sistina started chanting the Introit I got all choked up (and not just because they are probably one of the worst choirs in the world! Blech! Flat, flat, flat! And they can't chant!). When I saw the coffin the tears just started flowing. I regained my composure but started crying again at the Lux Aeterna.

And I cried while watching our Eastern/Oriental Catholic patriarchs and metropolitans singing the paschal troparion and incensing the coffin of the Holy Father. I cried when I realized that Metropolitan Cyril and His All Holiness Bartholomew were there. John Paul II's work may very well have shortened the road to unity between the East and West. As JPII's casket was elevated and taken into St. Peter's, a few tears fell, but then I felt so incredibly happy and it's a feeling that hasn't diminished. I am seriously considering playing the Pontifical March as a recessional tomorrow night because I am certian that the Holy Father will be mentioned at the Cathedral during the homily.
We pray for the children of God condemned to death by the unjust judgement of men: that the Lord our God would soften the hearts of those who seek their violent destruction, and rescue those who are being led forth to the slaughter, we pray Thee, O Lord, hearken and have mercy!
Old Apr 11, '05, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicNerd
And I cried while watching our Eastern/Oriental Catholic patriarchs and metropolitans singing the paschal troparion and incensing the coffin of the Holy Father. I cried when I realized that Metropolitan Cyril and His All Holiness Bartholomew were there. John Paul II's work may very well have shortened the road to unity between the East and West. .
This moved me deeply, as well. The melodies sounded so ancient, and the dress of the patriarchs was so different--I found myself thinking, "What an ancient Church I belong to!!"
Old Apr 10, '05, 3:48 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider
And I am weeping now just thinking about it, God bless him.
Me too.

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant...

Go Packers!
--me
Old Apr 10, '05, 4:49 am

I cried when the crowd started chanting "Santo! Santo! Santo!" during the homily.

The end, when they turned the casket around for one last look, was certainly very sad, but I don't cry all that often. I've been choked up about this several times this past week.

What a strange mixture of sadness and joy it has all been!
Old Apr 10, '05, 4:52 am

I have cried many times over the past week. At times of hearing his voice, seeing him on TV, thinking of hime, hearing any mention of him, trying to talk of him etc etc etc.

Of course there have also been moments of joy and thanksgiving. We queued for 16 hrs to pay our last respects in Rome last Wednesday and Thursday. Talk about a sine wave of emotion... At times with all the young people there it was like World Youth Day singing clapping calling out the name 'Giovanni Paolo'. Then of course there were times of prayer, reflection and commeroration....I felt like I had emotional schitzophrenia

I was trying to put words on exactly how I am feeling now and have been feeling over the past week. I guess now I realise its the nearest to having a 'broken heart'. Before you all jump on me and tell me thats now what the Holy Father would want ect., only love can cause these conditons and feelings to exist.

I wonder when my eyes will dry up and my heart heal?

Ruins: the grass is high here Christ arrived, passed by
here the Mass was said.
The church across the way, here Christ comes every day
here the Mass is said.
Until that secret hour, when Christ returns in power
the Mass will still be said

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005