Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 19, '05, 2:13 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Default What do you Fore-See For this Pontificate?

1. There is an interesting point to be made on his choice of Title
He goes back to a Pre-Vatican II Title. He does not continue with Paul VII or JP III or John XXIV. But at least back to 1920's or maybe far before that. It will be difficult to pick which Benedict he is trying to emulate. It may NOT be the XVth.
Questions:
1. Will he be a prolific writer as JPII or more of a behind-the-scenses doer.?
2. Will he quietly replace many positions without a lot of fan-fare? And by so doing, send his intended message by act and not so much by written pleadings.
3. Will he quietly cleanup the seminaries and renegade Bishoprics?

Personally, I see him as a "quiet executioner" where several bold moves will send the message of His intent to the remaining that may still be salvageable.

4. Europe will receive a great amount of attention in rebuilding a viable Church from the ashes. Wherein America / Australia will "get the message".

5. Re-stress the virtue of obedience vs JPII's more "suggestive" or indirect even benign approach to dissidents.

6. Close out the Homosexual stranglehold on the Western Episcpate.

7. Stop the further destruction of landmark Churches by NOT approving "moderniztions" that obliterate their Catholicity.

8. VAT II wil be important, but not the be-all end-all as in JPII. More references will be made to former Councils and Popes in his writings.Thus revealing a rise in orthodoxy over "aggiornamento"

9. A potent effort to bring the SSPX back into the Church by removing ambiguities that concern the SSPX . Turning them into Allies for the spreading of TLM styled Masses in the NOM.
(Latin, high-masses, kneeling, etc.)

10. A much wider offering of the TLM by edict more than suggestion. Hence, part of the dimise of "unlimited collegiality".

11. He will test how deep the Traditional strain of Catholicism still flows in the Church. He knows that is where the stongest loyalty to Mother Church lies...Trads. and conservatives.

That's my take.
But, I long to know WHICH Benedict will be his mentor!
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:19 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and proud
Default Re: What do you Fore-See For this Pontificate?

Ben16 is a bavarian German. I'm a Bavarian German, and we do not take kindly to rampaging thoughts of liberalism that suggest not only changing how the church works but changeing the church to some unreconizable form. this is not what he wants to happen. Jp was a very good pope and through his wanning years he cold not completly rest the strong homosexual cases or marriage cases. And If I know aGerman, He will send his pontificate wrath on those who do not obey peter's and christs church. Think of him as the gaurd dog of christ. normally warm and fuzzy but defends his master like a hobo on a ham sandwhich.

Pope Peter II
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:28 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopePeterII
Ben16 is a bavarian German. I'm a Bavarian German, and we do not take kindly to rampaging thoughts of liberalism that suggest not only changing how the church works but changeing the church to some unreconizable form. this is not what he wants to happen. Jp was a very good pope and through his wanning years he cold not completly rest the strong homosexual cases or marriage cases. And If I know aGerman, He will send his pontificate wrath on those who do not obey peter's and christs church. Think of him as the gaurd dog of christ. normally warm and fuzzy but defends his master like a hobo on a ham sandwhich.
Oh, yea. I forgot. He shows lots of teeth when he is smiling...err growling. so that you can't tell for sure which he intends.
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:31 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopePeterII
Think of him as the gaurd dog of christ. normally warm and fuzzy but defends his master like a hobo on a ham sandwhich.
The German Shepherd of Christ's flock?

Old Apr 19, '05, 2:43 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr01

Benedict XVI
Old Apr 20, '05, 4:24 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic in the Byzantine RIte of the Ruthenian tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr01
True, the Sheep Dog to Guard the Sheep!

Yesterday I had mixed feelings, today when I wok up 45 minutes ago, my first thought of the day was to thank God for my day to begin AND a short prayer for Pope Benedict 16.

I am glad JPII, the Great, has a long reign because his Pintificate gave us a chance to know a lot of the Cardinals...Ratzinger, Arinze, and others. It seems like a VERY SMOOTH transition. I hope the coat-tails of JP2, the Great, will give Benedict 16 the launching platform to uphold the Truths of Chirst and The Church. I pray age will NOT be a factor in limiting Benedict 16 reighn. He is the Right Man at the Right Time for the Right Task!
Old Apr 20, '05, 4:41 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

Rejoiced when I heard Cardinal Ratizinger was to be our new Pope.

My prayers will follow him.........strong personality and spirituality .......... devoted to The Lord .

Regards
Barb.......Bethany........Sth.Aust.
Wed. 20.4.05 9.09pm
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:31 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:

Being a Rhineland German myself (though a little bit removed), I second that! I am expecting a bit of that German stubbornness to show up soon. I think this is going to be fun to watch a few people squirm.
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:35 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero

I see him putting the "smackdown" on heresy...I also predict him restoring some of the traditional elements of The Church. I also see him continuing JPII's ecumenism. I believe he will be everything THe Church needs.
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:36 pm
Banned

What do you Fore-See For this Pontificate?

I see the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's already started.

Cardinal Kasper was interviewed this evening on BBC News, he said Pope Benedict had said to him after the conclave "now we walk the road of ecumenical unity together".

I fore-see theological juggling to bring the Catholic Church closer to protestantism (as with the Augsberg pact).

Pray very much for the Holy Father.

I fore-see stormy weather and perhaps persecution for some.
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:45 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_19_59
What do you Fore-See For this Pontificate?

I see the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's already started.

Cardinal Kasper was interviewed this evening on BBC News, he said Pope Benedict had said to him after the conclave "now we walk the road of ecumenical unity together".

I fore-see theological juggling to bring the Catholic Church closer to protestantism (as with the Augsberg pact).
If they get much closer we won't be able to tell them apart. Or, is that the idea?
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Unreformed

Europe will be evangelized.
Old Apr 19, '05, 2:59 pm
Banned

I fore-see Luther being un-excommunicated. (Seriously)
Old Apr 19, '05, 4:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_19_59
I fore-see Luther being un-excommunicated. (Seriously)
Maybe I am too optomistic, but I am trying to set aside some of the strange things Fr. Ratzinger said in the past, and praying that he does a good job. I think we need to at least give him a chance.

I pray that what Kasper said is not true. But if it is: what is one more time of being let down? I am used to it by now.
Old Apr 19, '05, 4:21 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSiscoe
I pray that what Kasper said is not true. But if it is: what is one more time of being let down? I am used to it by now.
Couldn't find any interview on the BBC to confirm.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005