Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '11, 5:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

Have any of you experienced something funny while you were discerning a vocation? While I am discerning priesthood, I went out to dinner, and then when I came back home and went in my room, I noticed something on the floor, and my reaction was, "What's that?" I picked it up and realized that it was a priestly discernment card from my diocese. I said to myself, "Subtle, eh?" Haha. God works in funny ways sometimes.
Old Jun 10, '11, 6:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
Have any of you experienced something funny while you were discerning a vocation? While I am discerning priesthood, I went out to dinner, and then when I came back home and went in my room, I noticed something on the floor, and my reaction was, "What's that?" I picked it up and realized that it was a priestly discernment card from my diocese. I said to myself, "Subtle, eh?" Haha. God works in funny ways sometimes.
Went to mass half an hour early so I could spend time praying as I was discerning, when i finished praying (for about 15 minutes, went to get vested to Serve) the Choir began practicing "Here I Am Lord", I felt as if Our Lord was winking at me from the Tabernacle lol
Old Jun 10, '11, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic92 View Post
Went to mass half an hour early so I could spend time praying as I was discerning, when i finished praying (for about 15 minutes, went to get vested to Serve) the Choir began practicing "Here I Am Lord", I felt as if Our Lord was winking at me from the Tabernacle lol
Teehee. I think that God has a sense of humor.
Old Jun 10, '11, 7:30 pm

You guys are going to make great priests!
Old Jun 10, '11, 7:31 pm

He definitely has a sense of humor
Old Jun 11, '11, 4:36 pm

I was discussing my vocation with a friend earlier today at a church event, and my pastor just came out of no where. I was thinking, "Your sense of humor never ends, does it?"
Old Jun 11, '11, 5:19 pm
Banned

God does not work in "mysterious" ways; God works in hilarious ways!

One day, this total stranger walked up to me while I was volunteering in a Catholic book store. He had heard me speaking, apparently, and randomly said "you'll make a good priest some day". I'd never even said a word to him, and when I explained that I'm not even baptised he said "that's hardly an obstacle". The man has not been seen anywhere near the book store or the cathedral since, at least not by me in the intervening 8-9 months since. GUARDIAN ANGEL? St. Gabriel, even?

Another day, much later than the first incident, I was wondering just what God wants me to do in the future. Randomly opening to the Psalms (my favourite way of speaking to God and hearing God speak), I just happened to flip to Psalm 110/109. Did my eyes wander idly to any sentence but "Thou art a priest forever, according to the order of Melchisedech"? Of course not! It had to be that one!

Let's see...
Old Jun 11, '11, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousOrder View Post
God does not work in "mysterious" ways; God works in hilarious ways!

One day, this total stranger walked up to me while I was volunteering in a Catholic book store. He had heard me speaking, apparently, and randomly said "you'll make a good priest some day". I'd never even said a word to him, and when I explained that I'm not even baptised he said "that's hardly an obstacle". The man has not been seen anywhere near the book store or the cathedral since, at least not by me in the intervening 8-9 months since. GUARDIAN ANGEL? St. Gabriel, even?

Another day, much later than the first incident, I was wondering just what God wants me to do in the future. Randomly opening to the Psalms (my favourite way of speaking to God and hearing God speak), I just happened to flip to Psalm 110/109. Did my eyes wander idly to any sentence but "Thou art a priest forever, according to the order of Melchisedech"? Of course not! It had to be that one!

Let's see...
Your experiences remind me of a recent one that I just remembered. I was searching my vocation on Google, and on one page, the first quote that caught my eyes when I did a search was "Come and follow me," and another that caught my eye first thing was "Be my priest." I guess I should just stop second-guessing myself before God needs to resort to drastic measures to make it clear to me.
Old Jun 11, '11, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
Your experiences remind me of a recent one that I just remembered. I was searching my vocation on Google, and on one page, the first quote that caught my eyes when I did a search was "Come and follow me," and another that caught my eye first thing was "Be my priest." I guess I should just stop second-guessing myself before God needs to resort to drastic measures to make it clear to me.
Divine slap round the face maybe? You never know, if we keep trying to ignore the signs, he might just come down here to whip some sense into us!
Old Jun 11, '11, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic92 View Post
Divine slap round the face maybe? You never know, if we keep trying to ignore the signs, he might just come down here to whip some sense into us!
I can hear what God might be saying now: "Jeez, some people can't take a hint."
Old Jun 11, '11, 7:51 pm
Banned

Religion: catholic

Oh my goodness, this thread is hilarious. Good luck with your discernment!

God Bless.
Old Jun 12, '11, 3:10 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Not exactly funny, but more like a funny coincidence.

My family and I were on vacation last week, and my mom and I were on the beach while my dad and sister were going for a walk. I was thinking about convents, and hadn't talked to my mom yet about it all week. In fact, just as I was wondering how to phrase it, my mom starts talking about convents.

Now, here's the interesting thing. My mom was telling me once how years ago, long before I became Catholic (or even knew what a nun was), that once she was in front of a Catholic church at a red light and while looking at it, thought to herself that if we were all raised Catholic, that I would be a nun. (BTW, my mom was baptized Catholic, but raised Lutheran, my dad is a former Catholic). My first thought was that's probably why when we came home after my first Easter Vigil, she asked me if I was going to become a nun.

She's had many prayers answered before. I guess she should be careful of what she prays for. My one problem will be trying to convince her to learn to let go. (she wants to visit me all the time to talk, or vice versa. Ahh, Italians. )

O Blood and Water which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as Font of Mercy for us, I trust in You!
Tiber Swim Team '07-'08
Old Aug 6, '11, 4:14 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and loving it
Send a message via MSN to DevotedChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahforgiven View Post
He definitely has a sense of humor
Definitely. Not only has he given me things/hints and such, with me twice I have seen visions of Our Lady and feel the strong presence of two saints that i feel close too: St Agnes of Rome and St Therese, the Little Flower. And recently I have felt the presence of my guardian angel and St. Teresa of Avila. I am planning on reading her book of The Interior Castle or The Mansions[/u]. I am looking at the Carmelite and Cisterian Orders. I am thinking more of the Cisterian Order because it is closer to home than the nearest Carmelite monestary and because I don't want to be to far from my family, should they need me and i don't like going to far from places from which I fimilar with.
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Aug 6, '11, 6:34 pm

I love this subforum. Thanks for sharing all the funny stories. It sure made me laugh.

One thing that i remember was the first time that God showed what he wanted me to do. I was at mass with my class in kindergarten, would you believe that. I was kneeling and praying when a clear picture of a nun appeared to me and i instantly knew that was what God wanted me to be when i grew up.

A funny story, i was in i think third grade and I was at the school mass with my class and i was singing along with the song leader and some of the notes were kinda high but I could sing them. My classmates were all starring at me and i complained to our teacher. I was like: "I was just trying to sing to God with the song leader." At the time it wasn't funny but when I look back at now I just laugh.
Patronness Saint Agnes! and Saint Therese of the Little Flower pray for us. Holy Mother Mary, pray for us sinners and bring us all to Jesus, your son. Sweet, Beloved Jesus, embrace us and never let go.
Old Aug 6, '11, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevotedChild View Post
felt the strong presence of two saints that i feel close too: St Agnes of Rome and St Therese, the Little Flower. And recently I have felt the presence of my guardian angel and St. Teresa of Avila.
Do you think this means tthat God is calling me to be a Carmelite? I was just thinking of this not to long ago and maybe once before.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations