Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 7, '12, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Mormonism

What do you all think of Mormonism? I am a lifelong Catholic, and I will die a Catholic so don't worry there. I believe in the One Holy Catholic And Apostolic Church. I believe in Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. I believe in the Catholic Church, and there are many things that I believe in. But, the Catholic Church is one of them. I believe that there are several things that I have been believing in. I believe in something that I have been able to understand. I have understood the Catholic Church.

last Sunday, I went to Church with some Mormons just to experience it. So far, I have been to a Greek Orthodox Church, a Eastern Catholic Church, a baptist Church (my ex girlfriend was aBaptist), a Methodist Church and a Presbyterian Church. I want to believe in the right church. The Mormons believe that Jesus Christ came to America and preached to the Indians. The Mormons also believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and in the book of Mormon. They believe that some 14 year old boy got gold plates and translated the book of Mormon. It sounds kooky to me, what do you think?

I know the Catholic Church to be the true Church. Protestants separated from the Catholic Church and they broke off against the Protestant Reformation when Martin Luther decided that he wanted to get married, Martin Luther was a Catholic Priest that nailed his thesis to the Church Door in Germany, starting the Protestant Reformation.

I think that the Catholic Church is the true Church and I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe in the right church and I believe in the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe in the Catholic Church.

I believe that there are things that we should all believe in, like the Holy Trinity. I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and I know it to be true. I have been able to believe in some things and I have been able to question some things about this life.

I was raised a Catholic Christian and I will remain a Catholic Christian till the end of my death. I want to experience all of the major world religions services before I die. I have been to a Mosque, I have been to a Jewish Temple and I have been to a Buddhist Temple.

I believe in God, and I believe in His Son, Jesus Christ. I believe that there are several things and I believe that the Catholic Church is the true church but I was wondering what you all thought of the Mormon religion? Do the Mormons believe in the Holy Trinity? Was the book of Mormon really written by Mormon or was it written by Joseph Smith? I think the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith.

I think that there are many things that I have come to believe in. I believe and profess the Catholic Church to be the one true Church. But, I have been able to believe in and I have created some things that I have understood. I have understood and do believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I believe in the true Christian Church. I believe in one Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe that there are new things and I think that there are several new things that I have come to believe in.

I believe in the Catholic Church, but I wanted to experience the Mormon service before I died. I think that there are several things that I have come to understand, things that I have come to believe in.

I believe in Sacred Scripture and in Sacred Tradition. I believe in the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe it to be true.

I believe that there are many things and I do believe in our religion, but I was wondering what you all thought of the Mormon religion. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 7, '12, 3:26 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Mormonism

I would suggest that you educate yourself, and quit trying out other churches.

You appear to be trying to hypnotize yourself with statements of your faith-- maybe because of the sales pitch laid on you when visiting the LDS.

Learn more about your Catholic faith. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church to better understand your faith. Read the Mormon-related threads here, because once you get on their radar, they are going to persist in trying to convert you.

Many prayers for you.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:11 pm

The LDS church does not believe in the Trinity. That's really all you need to know.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:13 pm

What does your login name mean?

The mormons I have met have been very sincere people.

If my children became mormon I would believe that I had utterly failed them.

You are in the right Church. Stick with it.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:43 pm
Suspended

My login name means Always Faithful, in Latin. As in Always Faithful to the Catholic Church. It's a military term, one that the Marines use, but I thought it would be a cool user-name for a Catholic forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
What does your login name mean?

The mormons I have met have been very sincere people.

If my children became mormon I would believe that I had utterly failed them.

You are in the right Church. Stick with it.
Old Mar 7, '12, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
My login name means Always Faithful, in Latin. As in Always Faithful to the Catholic Church. It's a military term, one that the Marines use, but I thought it would be a cool user-name for a Catholic forum.
Yes I know! I was kinda hinting at something.......
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:35 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
What do you all think of Mormonism? I am a lifelong Catholic, and I will die a Catholic so don't worry there. I believe in the One Holy Catholic And Apostolic Church. I believe in Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. I believe in the Catholic Church, and there are many things that I believe in. But, the Catholic Church is one of them. I believe that there are several things that I have been believing in. I believe in something that I have been able to understand. I have understood the Catholic Church.

last Sunday, I went to Church with some Mormons just to experience it. So far, I have been to a Greek Orthodox Church, a Eastern Catholic Church, a baptist Church (my ex girlfriend was aBaptist), a Methodist Church and a Presbyterian Church. I want to believe in the right church. The Mormons believe that Jesus Christ came to America and preached to the Indians. The Mormons also believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and in the book of Mormon. They believe that some 14 year old boy got gold plates and translated the book of Mormon. It sounds kooky to me, what do you think?

I know the Catholic Church to be the true Church. Protestants separated from the Catholic Church and they broke off against the Protestant Reformation when Martin Luther decided that he wanted to get married, Martin Luther was a Catholic Priest that nailed his thesis to the Church Door in Germany, starting the Protestant Reformation.

I think that the Catholic Church is the true Church and I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe in the right church and I believe in the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe in the Catholic Church.

I believe that there are things that we should all believe in, like the Holy Trinity. I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, and I know it to be true. I have been able to believe in some things and I have been able to question some things about this life.

I was raised a Catholic Christian and I will remain a Catholic Christian till the end of my death. I want to experience all of the major world religions services before I die. I have been to a Mosque, I have been to a Jewish Temple and I have been to a Buddhist Temple.

I believe in God, and I believe in His Son, Jesus Christ. I believe that there are several things and I believe that the Catholic Church is the true church but I was wondering what you all thought of the Mormon religion? Do the Mormons believe in the Holy Trinity? Was the book of Mormon really written by Mormon or was it written by Joseph Smith? I think the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith.

I think that there are many things that I have come to believe in. I believe and profess the Catholic Church to be the one true Church. But, I have been able to believe in and I have created some things that I have understood. I have understood and do believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I believe in the true Christian Church. I believe in one Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe that there are new things and I think that there are several new things that I have come to believe in.

I believe in the Catholic Church, but I wanted to experience the Mormon service before I died. I think that there are several things that I have come to understand, things that I have come to believe in.

I believe in Sacred Scripture and in Sacred Tradition. I believe in the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. I believe it to be true.

I believe that there are many things and I do believe in our religion, but I was wondering what you all thought of the Mormon religion. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
If there is any "Christian" related belief system out there that is totally derailed and wrong on everything it teaches, it's the LDS church.

They may seem charming but just you get on the wrong side of them and they will shut you off like you never existed.

My faith doesn't die. It just... temporarily... breaks...
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:39 pm

The LDS "church" isn't a Christian group, but your point is well-taken, Zundrah.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:45 pm

Religion: Catholic revert

Hello, I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, permit me to share my view on a few of your comments.

Quote:
I don't think it is any more kooky than the beliefs of other faiths.

Quote:
Was it Martin Luther that wanted to get married, or wasn't it the King of England when the Church of England broke off? Either way, Latter-day Saints don't really agree with those that seek/sought to reform Christianity. Instead, we believe that our Church is a restoration of the Church established by Jesus Christ anciently.

Quote:
I believe in God, and I believe in His Son, Jesus Christ. I believe that there are several things and I believe that the Catholic Church is the true church but I was wondering what you all thought of the Mormon religion? Do the Mormons believe in the Holy Trinity?
No, we do not believe in the traditional doctrine of the Trinity.

Quote:
Was the book of Mormon really written by Mormon or was it written by Joseph Smith? I think the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith.
Critics tend to believe that Joseph Smith and/or his companions wrote the Book of Mormon. Latter-day Saints don't believe that the Book of Mormon was written by "Mormon". Instead, we believe that the Book of Mormon is a compilation of books written by various prophets that was then abridged by the prophet Mormon.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:49 pm

LivingWaters7,

Thank you for your polite and honest post. Since you confirm for us that the LDS sect is not Trinitarian in belief, Semper Fi hopefully sees that it is a belief system that is not compatible with his own. Best wishes.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:50 pm

Current research indicates that the Book of Mormon was written by Joseph Smith and his friends, borrowing many themes from other literature available at the time (1830).
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWaters7 View Post
Was it Martin Luther that wanted to get married, or wasn't it the King of England when the Church of England broke off? Either way, Latter-day Saints don't really agree with those that seek/sought to reform Christianity. Instead, we believe that our Church is a restoration of the Church established by Jesus Christ anciently.
You're right. It was the King of England who wanted to get a divorce. Martin Luther did eventually get married but he did not have the time to create something, Martin Luther was a crackpot. The Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus Christ founded, and Jesus made Peter the first Pope of the Roman Catholic Church. The Greek Orthodox split off from the Roman Catholic Church.

The Roman Catholic Church is the true Universal Church.
Old Mar 7, '12, 5:00 pm

Either way, Latter-day Saints don't really agree with those that seek/sought to reform Christianity. Instead, we believe that our Church is a restoration of the Church established by Jesus Christ anciently.

LivingWaters7,

I'm very confused by your statement. If the LDS don't seek to reform Christianity, what is it your sect believes needs restoring? The Catholic Church is the Church established by Jesus, the incarnate God. You don't worship the same God as Christians. How do you propose to restore a faith you don't even believe in?
Old Mar 7, '12, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Christians believe in the Holy Trinity and they believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Church of LDS does not believe in the Holy Trinity and they do not believe in any of the doctrines professed by the early Church. There are different churches but the LDS are not the true church, Christians believe in the Trinity, even the Protestants and the Orthodox believe in the Trinity.
Old Mar 7, '12, 5:19 pm

As far as I know, I've only ever met one Mormon in person - a student at the Catholic university I attend. Unfortunately this person has given me reason to form a bad impression of her. Though I'm sure there are many lovely Mormons out there.

I studied Mormonism briefly, and it did strike me as a belief system that is odd and concerning, yet interesting.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions