Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 22, '12, 3:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Protestant service last night.

Ok, so I went to a Non-denominational service last night. I was doing it as a favor and trying to be somewhat ecumenical. Knowing where they stand, I had serious misgivings about attending. Now I know why.

The sermon was on Revelation Chapter 2:18-3:5, specifically the the churches of Thyatria and Sardis. The pastor proceeded to say the church of Thyatria represented the Catholic church, talking about all of the good the Catholic church has done in the world. Then, quoting the passages addressed to the churches of Thyatria, especially v 20-21, proceeded to talk about idolatry and false teachings. He then mentioned purgatory, confession to a priest, and the Mass itself, all as being unbiblical. He kept talking about how people are "caught up in this system", and "the system isn't going to save you". "dont need a church, just a relationship". I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I wasn't really surprised, but I was upset by it.

When talking about the church at Sardis, he immediately compared it to Protestantism. Honestly, I know I didn't take in all he said here, because I was so upset that he was using the pulpit to attack Holy Mother Church. However, I do remember that when he spoke negatively of Protestantism, it was mainly the Lutheran, Anglican, or Methodist churches (probably because they werent enough like his church). Of course he only had good things to say about his own brand of Protestantism.

The pastor asked for a show of hands before the sermon of how many had a Catholic upbringing. About 40-50 people raised their hand. I wanted to walk out in the middle, but I didn't out of respect for who I was there with. All I wanted to do afterward was go to Adoration.

A lot was on my mind afterward. I know a lot of what this preacher said was nonsense. Should I have walked out? Should I not have gotten so upset? This pastor was using his position and attacking the Catholic church as idolatrus and false. Not sure whether it was ignorance or malice. It seems as though my misgivings about attending were confirmed.

I welcome any thoughts on this
Old Mar 22, '12, 3:46 am

Default Re: Protestant service last night.

The Bible is a Catholic book. No where in teh Bible does it say "only use the Bible as your basis". There were 400 years before the Bible where Catholicism laid down its traditions, creeds and faith. We are the only Church founded by Christ. Be sure of that.

He's just a silly little man with the wrong end of the stick, which he is waving around trying to scare you.

Protestantism is a heresy.

I would have walked out. I went to a few Protestant services years ago, and one was of those weird little "churches" started by some nut job. Frankly, I found it empty and unfullfilling with a great big helping of historical and bibical ignorance.

Perhaps take the time to research and write a letter to this pastor outlaying where he is grossly wrong. It will give you the chance to see the history of the Church, the true Chrsitian theology of the Church and help you understand why this man is wrong.
Old Mar 22, '12, 3:53 am

As a matter of interest, when you said that 40 - 50 put up their hands as having had a Catholic upbringing, that was out of how many in the congregation (roughly) ?
Old Mar 22, '12, 4:31 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I'm a convert to Catholism from evangelical Protestantism.

Depending on how confident you are with your faith and comfortable with using the Bible as a reference, I would consider calling the pastor and setting up a lunch appointment. Tell him that you are a Catholic, that you were in attendance at the worship service, and that you would like to share your personal testimony.

All too often, Protestant pastors don't actually KNOW any Catholics who are strong in their faith. It would be good if he could put a face on what he is so freely criticizing.

Hopefully he is aware of the Catholic zeal about pro-life work, and hopefully, that can be a "common ground" between the two of you. Many Protestants admire Catholic pro-life work and aspire to be as enthusiastic.

If you are not strong in your faith and comfortable with using the Bible, then don't try this. It will be disturbing for you, and give that pastor more fodder for future sermons.

If you go to lunch with him, I wouldn't bother to quote any sources other than the Bible, and stick with the "Protestant" books. Protestants like this pastor do not consider any other source authoritative, so they won't care what the Early Church Fathers, the Catechism, etc. say. They also consider the Deuterocanonical books "apocryphal."

One more thing--if you are a woman, there is a good chance that the pastor will not accept your invitation to go to lunch. These days, many male pastors avoid meetings with women unless another woman is present, or unless the woman's husband, father, brother, or boyfriend is present. I don't blame him--it's really setting himself up, and setting the woman up, for accusations. Many male pastors will not meet behind closed doors at their office with a woman, but will leave the door wide open.

So perhaps if are a woman, and you decide that you are up for the challenge of going to lunch with him, then find a friend (male or female) or a male relative to go with you, and tell the pastor that you and a friend would like to invite him to lunch to share personal testimonies.

Good luck to you.
Old Mar 22, '12, 5:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I'm a convert to Catholism from evangelical Protestantism.

Depending on how confident you are with your faith and comfortable with using the Bible as a reference, I would consider calling the pastor and setting up a lunch appointment. Tell him that you are a Catholic, that you were in attendance at the worship service, and that you would like to share your personal testimony.

All too often, Protestant pastors don't actually KNOW any Catholics who are strong in their faith. It would be good if he could put a face on what he is so freely criticizing.

Hopefully he is aware of the Catholic zeal about pro-life work, and hopefully, that can be a "common ground" between the two of you. Many Protestants admire Catholic pro-life work and aspire to be as enthusiastic.

If you are not strong in your faith and comfortable with using the Bible, then don't try this. It will be disturbing for you, and give that pastor more fodder for future sermons.

If you go to lunch with him, I wouldn't bother to quote any sources other than the Bible, and stick with the "Protestant" books. Protestants like this pastor do not consider any other source authoritative, so they won't care what the Early Church Fathers, the Catechism, etc. say. They also consider the Deuterocanonical books "apocryphal."

One more thing--if you are a woman, there is a good chance that the pastor will not accept your invitation to go to lunch. These days, many male pastors avoid meetings with women unless another woman is present, or unless the woman's husband, father, brother, or boyfriend is present. I don't blame him--it's really setting himself up, and setting the woman up, for accusations. Many male pastors will not meet behind closed doors at their office with a woman, but will leave the door wide open.

So perhaps if are a woman, and you decide that you are up for the challenge of going to lunch with him, then find a friend (male or female) or a male relative to go with you, and tell the pastor that you and a friend would like to invite him to lunch to share personal testimonies.

Good luck to you.
While I don't have the experience you have personally I think it might be better to start out with a letter or an email. Say I'm Catholic and I'm very strong in my faith, and then start to address the things that you believe are wrong with his view on the Catholic Church. Do it in the most charitable way possible. Personally while a lunch talk could do wonders, I think its to much to soon. I think after you start to have a conversation with this guy over email or over letter, or maybe you even give him a number to call, then you have lunch with him. What it does is you show your position and you allow him to decide whether to continue the conversation or not. I could see you trying to trick the guy into having lunch and then dropping this I'm Catholic on him.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

But also this is a sign that there is something bad happening in our church and that is we are not doing a good job of keeping our faithful in our pews. If you don't do anything with the pastor, then you should pray first that those who are in the congregation see the light especially those who are fallen away catholics. Also that the Church may effectively evangelize the faithful both Catholic and Non Catholic. I don't want to judge or anything but I worry sometimes while these people probably have very good intentions and they trying to point to Christ, it worries me that pastors like this are unknowingly leading these people down a path to hell. Now that may not be the case, but they are atleast leading them down a path that is based off a counterfeit truth.

pray for these souls, and if you have the courage and you know how to do it in a CHARITABLE way then contact the pastor.

God Bless

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Mar 22, '12, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
As a matter of interest, when you said that 40 - 50 put up their hands as having had a Catholic upbringing, that was out of how many in the congregation (roughly) ?
About 1/3 of the crowd had a catholic upbringing. I really dont know if the pastor knew there was going to be any devout catholics there, and frankly dont know that it would matter to him. If the sample was accurate, that means roughly 1/3 of their congregation are former catholics. Certainly sounds like he was trying to reinforce their decision by slandering the Catholic faith.
Old Mar 22, '12, 10:07 am
Banned

Religion: Southern Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera dicere View Post
There were 400 years before the Bible where Catholicism laid down its traditions, creeds and faith.
Just want to point out that all the books of the Bible existed and were in use before the year 400, as you say.
Old Mar 22, '12, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgar View Post
Just want to point out that all the books of the Bible existed and were in use before the year 400, as you say.
Yeah as were many other books which did not make the cut. Just because the books in our current Bible existed does not prove the Bible alone as many non-Catholics want to present.
Old Mar 22, '12, 11:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
As someone else said there were many other books floating around at the time, also. How did they come to the decision of what books should be in the New Testament and what ones shouldn't. Catholics led by the Holy Spirit. It didn't just happen, it wasn't like here are the books we all use. There was much confusion. It took prayer and Holy Spirit guiding to decide which books to include and which ones not.

Thus saith the Lord: Stand ye on the ways, and see and ask for the old paths which is the good way, and walk ye in it: and you shall find refreshment for your souls. Jeremiah 6:16[/i]
Old Mar 22, '12, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Catherine View Post
As someone else said there were many other books floating around at the time, also. How did they come to the decision of what books should be in the New Testament and what ones shouldn't. Catholics led by the Holy Spirit. It didn't just happen, it wasn't like here are the books we all use. There was much confusion. It took prayer and Holy Spirit guiding to decide which books to include and which ones not.
Precisely! Just because the current books existed,does not mean they were all binded into one volume and organized.
Old Mar 22, '12, 11:44 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

Is the person who brought you a regular at this place? If so, have the conversation with THAT person, not necessarily the pastor. This pastor is presenting bigotry and misinformation from the pulpit gussied up as education. It is the basic duty of any teacher to be sure that what they are teaching is true. If he is preaching falsehoods about the catholic church that could be easily disproved by basic research..., well, Jesus had some things about millstones to say about such people....
Old Apr 21, '12, 2:16 pm
Banned

Religion: methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Catherine View Post
Hi Diana,

The churches simply came to a informal agreement on it by practice. There was no RCC canon until Trent. But they decided by selecting the apostles and the disciples of apostles and judging by what fit with the popular teachings (Rule of Faith). The Churches were independent and there was no central authority to tell them exactly what was in the bible. It was by informal consensus in the fourth century. By consensus I mean they just accepted the 27 books of the NT and everyone seemed to fall in line. This was true throughout history. The Reformers accepted that consensus. Peace, JohnR
Old Apr 21, '12, 6:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrigger1 View Post
Hi Diana,

The churches simply came to a informal agreement on it by practice. There was no RCC canon until Trent. But they decided by selecting the apostles and the disciples of apostles and judging by what fit with the popular teachings (Rule of Faith). The Churches were independent and there was no central authority to tell them exactly what was in the bible. It was by informal consensus in the fourth century. By consensus I mean they just accepted the 27 books of the NT and everyone seemed to fall in line. This was true throughout history. The Reformers accepted that consensus. Peace, JohnR
High,

There was no need to declare a cannon until Trent and if you look at other councils such as Carthage and Hippo then you will see that what was declared at Trent was a confirmation of what was declared at Hippo and Carthage. Your problem is to explain why you have fewer books and on whose authority they were removed.
Old Apr 22, '12, 7:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrigger1 View Post
Hi Diana,

High,

Did I lose you in the discussion?
Old Mar 23, '12, 5:53 am

Religion: lapsed, but seeking Christian

Quote:
Perhaps, but the Bible as we have it today is the product of the traditions that preceded it. Otherwise how was the Church to find out which books were appropriate and which ones were simply Gnostic? There was already an established faith and traditions as a standard to hold the books to.

«...Conoscerete la veritą, e la veritą vi renderą liberi.».
(Giovanni 8:32)

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions