Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 2, '12, 5:05 pm
Greeter

Religion: Catholic
Default Mormons do not believe in the Trinity?

I was doing some research and found out that Mormons disregard the Trinity. They are polytheistic and believe there are multiple gods.

Why would they believe this and is it proof that their church is corrupt?
Old Apr 2, '12, 5:12 pm
Greeter

Default Re: Mormons do not believe in the Trinity?

There is a TON of proof against their religion in the Bible. Not once does it make mention of multiple gods. There is but One God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The relationship of the Trinity is described in the first book of the Bible:

Then God said,

“Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...”
Genesis 1: 26

Notice how "God" is singular and "our" describes multiple (describing multiple persons in one being... also known as the Trinity )
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:13 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

Father Z recently ran an item about this in his blog.
Old Apr 2, '12, 6:29 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Mormon Church was founded by a teenager, bored to death on his family's farm in New York.

Catholic church was founded by JESUS CHRIST.

Who shall you folow? Not saying anything bad about the person or person's practicing that religion. I'll pray for all sheep that are led astray.

God Bless to all!
Old Apr 2, '12, 7:08 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnat1 View Post
There is a TON of proof against their religion in the Bible. Not once does it make mention of multiple gods. There is but One God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The relationship of the Trinity is described in the first book of the Bible:

Then God said,

“Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...”
Genesis 1: 26

Notice how "God" is singular and "our" describes multiple (describing multiple persons in one being... also known as the Trinity )
Mormons would say this proves their doctrine. Remember they believe there are many gods with physical bodies. So, it would make perfect sense if the god of this world said to his fellow gods "let us make man in our image". Just wanted to point out the flaw in your proof as far as a Mormons are concerned.

T Shaffer
Tiber Swim Team - Class of 03
Old Apr 2, '12, 8:44 pm

Religion: καθολικός ̠

I think the Mormons may have overlooked (unless they didn't please correct me if wrong) the fact that Jesus tells his Disciples "Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 28:19 (DRB).

Did they note that Jesus says "In the name..." and not "in the names of the Father and of The Son and of the Holy Ghost"

MJ
....neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor might, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8: 38-39

Old Apr 2, '12, 9:03 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJordan View Post
I think the Mormons may have overlooked (unless they didn't please correct me if wrong) the fact that Jesus tells his Disciples "Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 28:19 (DRB).

Did they note that Jesus says "In the name..." and not "in the names of the Father and of The Son and of the Holy Ghost"

MJ
Generally speaking, even if you're acting on behalf of a group, you are said to be doing something "in the name of". I've never seen it pluralized in any usage, biblical or otherwise.

For example, "In the name of God and King", a formula often used in monarchies not that long ago, where the two are distinct persons.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Apr 2, '12, 11:36 pm

Religion: καθολικός ̠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine_Two View Post
Generally speaking, even if you're acting on behalf of a group, you are said to be doing something "in the name of". I've never seen it pluralized in any usage, biblical or otherwise.

For example, "In the name of God and King", a formula often used in monarchies not that long ago, where the two are distinct persons.
Are you implying Mormons do not accept God as Father? Because In the name of God and King is not the same as In the name of The Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. God and King are two separate entities all together. Or am I missing something?

MJ
....neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor might, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8: 38-39

Old Apr 3, '12, 12:53 am
Banned

Religion: Protestant, Church of Christ

Allow a response from a sola scriptura advocate about how many gods there are.
Genesis 21:33 And Abraham planted a tree in Beer-sheba, and called there on the name of Jehovah, the everlasting God.
Deuteronomy 4:39 Therefore, know this day and consider within your heart, that Jehovah is God in Heaven above and on the earth beneath. There is no other.
Isaiah 45:18 For so says Jehovah the Creator of the heavens, He is God, forming the earth and making it; He makes it stand, not creating it empty, but forming it to be inhabited. I am Jehovah, and there is no other.
Isaiah 45:21 Declare and bring near; yea, let them take counsel together. Who has declared this of old? Who has told it from then? Is it not I, Jehovah? And there is no other God besides Me; a just God and a Savior; there is none besides Me.
Isaiah 45:22 Turn to Me, and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.
Isaiah 46:9 Remember former things from forever; for I am God, and no other is God, even none like Me,
Psaalms 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting You are God.
Jeremiah 10:10 But Jehovah is the true God, He is the living God, and the everlasting King. At His wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to stand His fury.
Revelations 1:8 I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, says the Lord, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
Old Apr 3, '12, 6:26 am
Trial Membership

FYI: In the Hebrew Bible God, Elohim, is plural (of El).

This can be interpreted as indictative of God's majesty and glory or, for Christians, as pointing towards the plurality of persons in the one God. Mormons believe that Elohim is the personal name of God the Father and Jehovah refers to Jesus.
Old Apr 3, '12, 7:44 am
Trial Membership

There have been differing views on the uniqueness of God the Father within the Mormon faith. It seems in earlier years that many LDS believed that our Heavenly Father progressed to his godhood and had his own father god, and so on, ‘world without end’ – an endless generation of gods stretching back to infinity. Since we are considered to be literal spirit children of God, we each have the opportunity to also progress into godhood and eventually have our own spirit children and be in effect their god. But our Heavenly Father will always be our god and the only god that we worship, even though there may be an infinite number of gods in the universe(s). This belief does appear, however, to contradict what their own Book of Mormon teaches about God.

In more recent years there does seem to be a movement away from those earlier beliefs, as the former LDS prophet Gordon Hinckley famously stated on a television interview that “we don’t know much about that”. But Mormons still believe that even if God the Father has always been God and has no God above Him, we remain literal children of God and so are of the same ‘species’ as God (angels and demons would also fall into the same category of being literal children of God, though demons are spirits that have been denied physical bodies). God the Father is believed to have a glorified human body, as ours will be after the resurrection. They also believe that the elements are co-eternal with God (although defining what the elements exactly are can be tricky) and that some aspect of ourselves, our intelligence, is co-eternal with God. So God is not viewed in Mormon theology as being the source and cause of all else that exists. To me that is the most fundamental difference between Mormon doctrine and orthodox Christianity.
Old Apr 3, '12, 8:05 am
Trial Membership

On the dogma of the Trinity, Mormons would argue that it cannot be found in the New Testament (and even contradicts the NT). To them, Trinitarianism is proof positive that the original teachings of the apostles were corrupted by the Catholic church. Mormons are proudly non-Trinitarian.

In my experience Mormons tend to have a poor understanding of what the dogma of the Trinity actually is or how it was developed over the first centuries of Christianity. Many seem to believe that it was pulled out of thin air in the 4th century. But really the Trinity or the 4th century does not represent some watershed moment between orthodox Christianity and Mormon beliefs on God. By the early 2nd century (and arguably the 1st as well), orthodox Christians already had beliefs on the nature of God and the created world that are decidely non-Mormon. The Trinity is just icing on the cake.
Old Apr 3, '12, 8:23 am
Forum Supporter

The LDS CAN'T believe in the Trinity. Since they believe God used to be a sinful man, there can be no Trinity.
Old Apr 3, '12, 9:45 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaborn View Post
On the dogma of the Trinity, Mormons would argue that it cannot be found in the New Testament (and even contradicts the NT). To them, Trinitarianism is proof positive that the original teachings of the apostles were corrupted by the Catholic church. Mormons are proudly non-Trinitarian.

In my experience Mormons tend to have a poor understanding of what the dogma of the Trinity actually is or how it was developed over the first centuries of Christianity. Many seem to believe that it was pulled out of thin air in the 4th century. But really the Trinity or the 4th century does not represent some watershed moment between orthodox Christianity and Mormon beliefs on God. By the early 2nd century (and arguably the 1st as well), orthodox Christians already had beliefs on the nature of God and the created world that are decidely non-Mormon. The Trinity is just icing on the cake.
Justin Martyr describes the nature of Jesus Christ very well, in his dialogue with Trypho. c.165AD

“I shall give you another testimony, my friends,” said I, “from the Scriptures, that God begat before all creatures a Beginning, [who was] a certain rational power [proceeding] from Himself, who is called by the Holy Spirit, now the Glory of the Lord, now the Son, again Wisdom, again an Angel, then God, and then Lord and Logos; and on another occasion He calls Himself Captain, when He appeared in human form to Joshua the son of Nave (Nun). For He can be called by all those names, since He ministers to the Father’s will, and since He was begotten of the Father by an act of will; just as we see happening among ourselves: for when we give out some word, we beget the word; yet not by abscission, so as to lessen the word [which remains] in us, when we give it out: and just as we see also happening in the case of a fire, which is not lessened when it has kindled [another], but remains the same; and that which has been kindled by it likewise appears to exist by itself, not diminishing that from which it was kindled.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.viii.iv.lxi.html

And the Incarnation (which Mormons reject); of Christ's Church, established forever as the Kingdom of God; of salvation through Jesus Christ and not the law; etc.

It is an excellent apologetics of Christian belief.
Old Apr 3, '12, 12:00 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJordan View Post
Are you implying Mormons do not accept God as Father? Because In the name of God and King is not the same as In the name of The Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. God and King are two separate entities all together. Or am I missing something?

MJ
No.

I'm saying that one never uses the plural "In the names of", it is always "In the name of", no matter how many you are dealing with.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions