Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > SCOTUS: 2006

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 11, '06, 3:52 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Alito Wife Leaves Hearing In Tears After Dem Attack

Judge Samuel A. Alito’s wife Martha left the confirmation hearing room in tears this evening, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) apologized to the Judge’s family for the behavior of his fellow committee members during the course of the last three days.

Sen. Graham said: “Judge Alito, I am sorry that you’ve had to go through this. I am sorry that your family has had to sit here and listen to this.”

Democrats on the Judiciary Committee have attacked Judge Samuel A. Alito over his membership in Concerned Alumni of Princeton and his involvement in the Vanguard case.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

As you know, when Sen. Lindsey Graham apologized for the humiliating treatment Sam Alito received from the Democrats today, Mrs. Alito started crying and had to leave the room to regain her composure. I’m sure a lot of us share the sentiments of CNN’s Jeff Greenfield, who analyzed the incident in this clip from CNN:
The temptation for some of these witnesses must be enormous, particularly if it’s a more hostile situation, to just lean over the table and just let some of the senators know what you’re really thinking about their intellectual capacity, their hypocrisy. If they attack him for, I don’t know, being the member of a club, to say “Well really? Where’d you spend your time? How many restrictive clubs have you golfed at?” They can’t do that. It’s not part of the ethic, um… I have a lot of sympathy for these people no matter where they come from on the ideological scale.
Read more

Old Jan 11, '06, 3:58 pm

Default Re: Alito Wife Leaves Hearing In Tears After Dem Attack

I saw the whole thing, it made me so upset just seeing her so upset...what this family has to endure..I hope it all is over very soon and that Judge Alito is confirmed as quickly as possible, I can't believe what these Democrats will do as they reach for anything to hurl at Judge Alito's excellent character, it is disgraceful.
Old Jan 11, '06, 4:17 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Seamus Send a message via Yahoo to Seamus

There is nothing more amusing than watching Ted Kennedy question someone else's character. Talk about hypocrisy!

My prayers are with Mrs. Alito and the entire Alito family.
Old Jan 11, '06, 5:10 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

The Democrats have no shame. They know their agenda cannot get implemented through legislative means so they have to rely on the courts to do that. Alito is seen as a threat.

PF
Old Jan 11, '06, 5:21 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Seamus Send a message via Yahoo to Seamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly
The Democrats have no shame. They know their agenda cannot get implemented through legislative means so they have to rely on the courts to do that. Alito is seen as a threat.

PF
Well said, WanderAimlessly!
Old Jan 11, '06, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly

PF
I think they view Judge Alito as a threat because he is a man of integrity. The darkness fears the light because it reveals the darkness for what it is.
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:23 pm

Post Re: Alito Wife Leaves Hearing In Tears After Dem Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth B.
I think they view Judge Alito as a threat because he is a man of integrity. The darkness fears the light because it reveals the darkness for what it is.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head!
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:27 pm

Religion: Agnostic - I just don't know and don't think I can know.
Send a message via AIM to siamesecat

The Republicans would do the same. Politics is nasty and I hate seeing these long drawn out sessions where people say nothing but "I dont have a position" to avoid losing support. Those miserable looking Senators from either side just rip apart people. Personally, I think Ms Alito needs to toughen up if she's gonna be a politicians wife..the whole business is insulting others. Laura Bush doesn't go crying when her husband gets insulted all the time. If she's so sensitive, she shouldn't attend the hearing, because it just adds drama and takes away from the point of the session. Lol I hate politicians they're so mean to each other and Senators just never look happy. That's definately not the field I'd want to be in .. you need thick skin.
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat
The Republicans would do the same. Politics is nasty and I hate seeing these long drawn out sessions where people say nothing but "I dont have a position" to avoid losing support. Those miserable looking Senators from either side just rip apart people. Personally, I think Ms Alito needs to toughen up if she's gonna be a politicians wife..the whole business is insulting others. Laura Bush doesn't go crying when her husband gets insulted all the time. If she's so sensitive, she shouldn't attend the hearing, because it just adds drama and takes away from the point of the session. Lol I hate politicians they're so mean to each other and Senators just never look happy. That's definately not the field I'd want to be in .. you need thick skin.
Perhaps you can recount for us some of the charges of racism and biogotry that Republicans leveled against Ruth Ginsberg during her confirmation hearings.
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIrish
Perhaps you can recount for us some of the charges of racism and biogotry that Republicans leveled against Ruth Ginsberg during her confirmation hearings.
Not off hand but I'm sure they picked on similar things at one point or another. People try everything....whats all that about McCain having a black baby? They employ really low tactics to win. However, I dont know whether Alito is racist or not, or if he was in college, or whatever, because I believe him to be a good judge. But if he was a member of a club that was bigoted, its a valid claim.
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Not off hand but I'm sure they picked on similar things at one point or another. People try everything....whats all that about McCain having a black baby? They employ really low tactics to win. However, I dont know whether Alito is racist or not, or if he was in college, or whatever, because I believe him to be a good judge.
Nice try but no cigar.

Quote:
But if he was a member of a club that was bigoted, its a valid claim.
Let's apply your logic. I see you are an atheist. There are atheists, like Sam Harris, who have raised the idea of killing all those who have religious convictions. Since you are part of the same "club", I guess you might also be one who thinks all religious people should be killed. Hey, "I don't know if you are blood-thirsty or not", but it's a valid claim. Yet somehow I believe you to be a good person.

This line of logical reasoning, of course, is totally fallacious and non-sensical.
Old Jan 12, '06, 3:51 am

Quote:
Nice try but no cigar.

Let's apply your logic. I see you are an atheist. There are atheists, like Sam Harris, who have raised the idea of killing all those who have religious convictions. Since you are part of the same "club", I guess you might also be one who thinks all religious people should be killed. Hey, "I don't know if you are blood-thirsty or not", but it's a valid claim. Yet somehow I believe you to be a good person.

This line of logical reasoning, of course, is totally fallacious and non-sensical.
Actually I'm more of an agnostic...but I dont think thats a valid parallel. If i joined a specific violent atheist organization, I would say it is. But there are many alumni groups, and Alito was a member of this particular one, which shares the views. I could be mistaken, but it wasnt a huge group was it? It would be relatively small...not the type of group that could break into many different viewpoints. And thankyou for saying I'm a good person.
Old Jan 11, '06, 11:17 pm

Quote:
I dont know whether Alito is racist or not, or if he was in college, or whatever, because I believe him to be a good judge. But if he was a member of a club that was bigoted, its a valid claim.
It is? Then why do Democrats vote for Robert Byrd year after year? Why do Democrats honor Hugo Black's ruling in Everson? Why do Democrats support the most perncious racism extent today--racial quotas?

If one doesn't know if a person is a racist, isn't it better not to raise the question at all? Isn't your comment similiar to saying "I don't know if so-and-so molests children but if he did belong to Nambla, it is a valid claim"?

All Kennedy has is Alito, as did thousands of other people, perhaps tens of thousands, belonged to an organization which published a magazine which ran some racially offensive articles. We don't know if Alito read them or knew of them. He says he doesn't . He says he opposes what he now knows was written. Why should the word of a man who left women to die in the back seat of his car, whose father made derogatory comments about Jews, whose brother wire tapped Martin Luther King be taken over a man who has been a Federal appeals court judge for over a decade,who has a sterling record and recieved the ABA's highest endorsement?

And what is that with Kennedy demanding the private papers of William Rusher? Where is that much cherised, in rhetoric, liberal regard to a right of privacy, to not engaging in guilt by association (what liberals term McCarthyism)?
Old Jan 12, '06, 1:53 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Praying that Mr. Alito will be quickly confirmed. Also, I think you all should try to contact your senators and ask them to vote for Alito. I have already done so.

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Jan 11, '06, 7:47 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
They would not be able to because the insults did not happen to Ruth Ginsberg, even though there would have been plenty of reason. This level of insult is only reserved for conservatives, people of faith. Mrs. Alito will toughen up, but I will pray for her. I think the previous post is rather insulting and insensitive to Mrs. Alito.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > SCOTUS: 2006