Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, '12, 2:33 am

Religion: Eastern Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan Rizk
Exclamation Proof of Hell?

Greetings, I am Jordan, a 14 year old Catholic. My Catholic Studies or "religion" teacher is also a Catholic. She does not believe in the concept of Hell. Every time I try to start a discussion about Hell, she will close the conversation. She is one of them Catholics who say "An all loving God would not send anyone to Hell."
Can anyone give me proof of Hell from the Catholic Church and tell me what the Early Church Fathers said about Hell?
Everyone please pray that the Holy Spirit leads her to the truth.

God be with you all,
Jordan
Old Nov 14, '12, 3:36 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Proof of Hell?

This is not actually proof, but an inspiration.
We are now in the middle, looking at the blue sky, it somehow resembles a peaceful happy ending, heaven.
Looking down, below,

Old Nov 14, '12, 3:42 am

Religion: Catholic

Hi Jordan, I suppose their are a lot of catholics today who don't believe in a place called hell, the belief is that a loving and compasionate god would not allow it, but hell exists, Jesus spoke of hell, do not be afraid of those who can kill the body but rather be afraid of the one who can kill both body and soul in hell, Our Lady in Fatima also showed hell to the children, many people go there because their is no one to pray or make sacrifices for them, so hell does exist. We should never do use hell to scare people to believe what we believe or to threaten people that they are going to burn there unless they be good.

God loves us all despite our frailties, in return all he asks is that we love him.
AMEN
Old Nov 14, '12, 3:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Rizk View Post
Greetings, I am Jordan, a 14 year old Catholic. My Catholic Studies or "religion" teacher is also a Catholic. She does not believe in the concept of Hell. Every time I try to start a discussion about Hell, she will close the conversation. She is one of them Catholics who say "An all loving God would not send anyone to Hell."
Can anyone give me proof of Hell from the Catholic Church and tell me what the Early Church Fathers said about Hell?

God be with you all,
Jordan
I sincerely hope she does not deny evil or satan that would be really awkward.
Are you sure she is Catholic?

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 14, '12, 5:07 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

Jordon, welcom to the liberalized Catholic faith of today, that throws away the Tradition of the Church which tells US their is absolutely a Hell...
Faith is that which is, but we cannot see...

Presumption, is a sin, and its a sin to the idea that we are automatically going to Heaven.

Saints have spoken to the Issue of Hell, in brief once a very Holy Nun was struck by lighting is the story, and all thought she as dead, but they worked and PRAYED that she
be not dead but come to life and live...and she did... she came back to life...
and when she awoke, she was Mad at them for having prayed she might be alive again.
Because, she was in Pergutory, and she admitted in her youth, she had sinned of sort.
What she was mad about, is what now if back on earth, she might do an sin that sent her to hell, with no chance of eternal salvation . That she wished she might have stayed in Pergatory, in what seemed an eternity though she was dead only seconds, it seemed years.

See, this story isnt in the Bible, but the story is realitive, to God talks and guides people through the Holy Spirit, as it guides the HOLY infalable church toay and you that you dont go to Hell...
Saints knew, for they opened themselves to Gods will, not ours, and for that they also know liars go to Hell...
Your mission in life is to Go to Heaven where thier is nothing imperpect, often by the cleansing process of pergatory and to take as many souls as you can , that includes your teacher who is misinforming .
Walk amongest the downtroden, poor, rejected, ill and distolute, you will come to see that hell is real as Jesus lived and did and love them with your heart.

What your really a wake up call to the fact of todays religious programs are taught by a group of Liberalized Good people who dont know the Truth of religion, because nobody taught them to know.

Last edited by wanabesaint; Nov 14, '12 at 5:25 am.
Old Nov 14, '12, 5:36 am

Do a little research into the phenomenon of demonic possession and you will have endless support for the reality of Hell. There are also a few first hand accounts of those who had less than pleasant near-death experiences. And last but not least the testimony of the various Saints across the ages.

People who don't "believe" in Hell are just sticking their heads in the sand and hoping that the notion goes away.
Old Nov 14, '12, 5:46 am

Religion: Catholic- to the End

Quote:

God be with you all,
Jordan
---then why did Jesus in the Scriptures talk about a place that did not exist? If hell does not exist then why was Jesus casting out of who came to Him something that did not exits? If he was casting out demons, then where do demons reside if nothing evil can reside in Heaven? I pray this person really read the Scriptures and listen to the Holy Spirit, not the unholy spirit, and stop leading the seekers of the Truth astray.

Also, God does not send us to Hell, we do that ourselves by turning away from Him through our free will. He only directs us to the place we have chosen.
Old Nov 14, '12, 5:54 am

Quote:
Do a little research into the phenomenon of demonic possession and you will have endless support for the reality of Hell. There are also a few first hand accounts of those who had less than pleasant near-death experiences. And last but not least the testimony of the various Saints across the ages.
Exactly. On youtube you can find many videos of exorcists, who share their experiences. And regarding saints - e.g. Padre Pio had stories on how he was being opressed by evil spirits.
Old Nov 14, '12, 6:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabesaint View Post
Saints have spoken to the Issue of Hell, in brief once a very Holy Nun was struck by lighting is the story, and all thought she as dead, but they worked and PRAYED that she
be not dead but come to life and live...and she did... she came back to life...
and when she awoke, she was Mad at them for having prayed she might be alive again.
Because, she was in Pergutory, and she admitted in her youth, she had sinned of sort.
What she was mad about, is what now if back on earth, she might do an sin that sent her to hell, with no chance of eternal salvation . That she wished she might have stayed in Pergatory, in what seemed an eternity though she was dead only seconds, it seemed years.
You can't come back from purgatory.
Old Nov 14, '12, 7:28 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi, Jordan!

I guess I'm seeing two kinda different things in what you've written-- they seem pretty close, but they're different in an important way.

One thing you say is that your teacher "does not believe in the concept of hell"; the other thing she says is "God would not send anyone to hell".

I guess that these are separate questions: first, "does hell exist?" and second, "are there any human souls in hell?".

The first question is easy to answer -- just by looking at Scripture, we can see that hell exists (Jesus even talks about it).

The second question is the tough one -- is there actually anybody in hell, or will there be anybody? We can hope, I guess, that God has mercy on everyone who lived or ever will live. The thing is, though, that we can't know whether that's true or not -- until the end of time, and then we'll know for sure!

One thing is interesting: although the Church will name saints (that is, people who the Church says are definitely in heaven), it will never name people in hell. We never know what happens to a person in their last moments of life on earth -- there's always the chance for repentence, and always a chance that at the last second of life, they cry out, "God, save me! I'm sorry!" and that God does forgive them. Even the worst person ever in the history of the world has that chance for forgiveness. So, we can never say, "so-and-so is definitely in hell."

If that's what your teacher is saying -- that we don't know who, if anyone, is in hell -- then what she's saying is possible according to the teachings of the Church. If she's saying "hell doesn't exist", though... well, that's a totally different thing...

Blessings,

G.
Old Nov 14, '12, 12:07 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan Rizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryZ View Post
I sincerely hope she does not deny evil or satan that would be really awkward.
Are you sure she is Catholic?
She also denies Satan.
Old Nov 14, '12, 12:53 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
She also denies Satan.
Interesting. How does she justify this belief?
Old Nov 15, '12, 4:23 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
She also denies Satan.
Does she realise that as a Catholic denying infallible Church teachings is heresy?
Old Nov 15, '12, 4:50 am

Quote:
She also denies Satan.
Well here are a few quotes that show that the enemy does indeed exist and he has his dwelling which is Hell.

I Chronicles
21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel

Job
1:9 Then Satan answered Jehovah, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Zechariah
3:1 And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of Jehovah, and Satan standing at his right hand to be his adversary.
3:2 And Jehovah said unto Satan, Jehovah rebuke thee, O Satan; yea, Jehovah that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

Matthew
4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
4:11 Then the devil leaveth him; and behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Luke
10:17 And the seventy returned with joy, saying, Lord, even the demons are subject unto us in thy name.
10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan fallen as lightning from heaven.
10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you.

Acts
26:18 to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among them that are sanctified by faith in me.

II Corinthians
2:11 that no advantage may be gained over us by Satan: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
2:14 And no marvel; for even Satan fashioneth himself into an angel of light

Laudetur Iesus Christus
Old Nov 15, '12, 3:11 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Feb 2010)

FWIW - I wrote a small piece a while back on a closely related question. It includes about a dozen good quotes from Saints (mostly Doctors of the Church). See: Is hell empty?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics