Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, '12, 10:18 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Music Leader Thread Part III - Song Lists, Suggestions, and Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamazingman View Post
repetition is fine, it's the moving around of text that is really a problem. We don't say "this is my body: GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST!" you can't move around texts like that.
The Gloria is not part of the Eucharistic Prayer. Any repetition by necessity means something has to be moved. For the purpose of this thread, if you are not comfortable with a particular Gloria, don't sing it.
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:26 am

Default Re: Music Leader Thread Part III - Song Lists, Suggestions, and Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by liturgyluver View Post
I find the ICEL chants most uninspiring and I many in my congregation dislike them. I like Schubert's Deutsche Messe and Murray's A new people's mass best.
What are the ICEL chants and where do I find them? (I'm in the Breaking Bread group...don't throw verbal tomatoes.....),

What are the Schubert's Deuistsche Messe and Murray's A New People's Mass, and where do I find those as well? Thank you......

And now I'll duck from the verbal tomatoes -- hahahaha -- a musician with a sense of humor! (very needed these days)!
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabande View Post
As much as I like the chants, the Schubert is my favorite congregational mass setting, especially when a choir sings along with the harmony. I've never heard the Murray. Admittedly, I'd really like to hear the chants in organum. My husband and I will do it for fun on car rides, etc. , but it would be nice to hear it at mass.
What does "in organum" mean? Thank you....
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamazingman View Post
I always try to use hymns based on the propers. For example, The King of Love My Shepard Is for November 11th (Communion chant: "The Lord is my shepherd and I shall want nothing; he has set me in a land of abundant pastures; he has led me to life-renewing waters."), or Rejoice the Lord is King on for the procession on the Third Sunday of Advent. The church has given us texts to use at those times, so if we can't use them yet because of the politics of our situations, let's at least get as close as we can to using them.

Over on the MusicaSacra forum, there's also a project that pops up once and again where the introits of a season are adapted and versified into a hymn. I think all the lent introits have been done, maybe advent too.
Okay, this thread gives me lots of questions...

1. Are the "propers" the Psalm reading? Or all the scripture readings?

2. What does it mean when you say "where the introits (what is that) of a season are adapted and versified into a hymn....? What is that?

I have so much to learn....and I've learned so much on this forum. Thank you,
Old Nov 17, '12, 1:56 am

And last but not least....I have advent questions....do we stop singing the Gloria during Advent, but it is sung then starting again on Christmas Vigil?

Are we leaving in "sacred silence" during Christmas Vigil?

Anything else that is different about music during Advent?

Thank you so much -- I'll be quiet now.....I read read read, then ask questions...then read read read....thanks.
Old Nov 18, '12, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth779 View Post
Okay, this thread gives me lots of questions...

1. Are the "propers" the Psalm reading? Or all the scripture readings?
All. I'm not exactly sure where they come up with some of the text, or why we are all to follow it. Everyone's interpretation of the readings is different. Personally, I prefer to follow the readings of the day, taking special care to focus on the Gospel usually. I don't care to follow the propers, and neither does my Pastor (which makes my job easier).

Quote:
2. What does it mean when you say "where the introits (what is that) of a season are adapted and versified into a hymn....? What is that?
Taking the introit text in the proper of the day and put it to a familiar hymn tune such as Hyfrydol (Alleluia, Sing To Jesus!) or Hymn To Joy (Joyful, Joyful, We Adore You).

Quote:
And last but not least....I have advent questions....do we stop singing the Gloria during Advent, but it is sung then starting again on Christmas Vigil?
Correct. Exception to the rule is Feast of the Immaculate Conception. We sing th Gloria on that day.

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. I've only known that to be on Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

Quote:
Not much other than use Advent hymns

Others can expand on these answers, but these are the 'simple' answers.
Old Nov 18, '12, 1:04 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
What does "in organum" mean? Thank you....
In the most simple of definitions, the "cantus," or melody of the chant is also sung simultaneously in absolute parallel motion at the interval of either a perfect fourth or perfect fifth. Organum among other vocal novelties or embellishments such as drones, isons and such evolved roughly circa the 8th and 9th centuries in monasteries of varying rites and chant traditions.

Quote:

Yes, the Glory is restored at the Vigil(s) of Christmas.
There is no legislation for any and all music that may or may not occur after the dismissal and response. For comparison's sake, one could retire a dismissal hymn and have an organ or instrumental ensemble "postlude" of a subdued nature for Advent, whereas dismissing to absolute silence during Lent would be a more profound expression of the nature of that season.
For the "different music" question, not really save for the prominence of more carol-like hymns such as "People look east." Advent hymnody for many automatically calls forth a perceived need to start singing "Veni, veni Emmanuel/O come, O come Emmmanuel" from the first through fourth Sundays. But as the third Sunday has still some vestigial memory through the "pink/rose" candle on the wreath as being associated with what was traditionally called GAUDETE Sunday, the use of that venerable medieval carol ought to be considered a lovely option or even priority. Even Bob Hurd included it on his collection UBI CARITAS. Contemporary ensembles could manage the antiphon at least; the verses may be more of a challenge, but a worthy one. But the real point is to inform both musicians and laity/clergy that each Sunday's Introit proper, like GAUDETE, assigns a definite character and continuity throughout the whole Mass, particularly in the three processions. So, planning choices for the Entrance/Introit, Offertory and Communio might benefit more by zeroing in on those direct texts from the Missal and using them from the various vernacular or Latin sources, or text/hymn allusions.
Making those subtle shifts away from singing things like "O come" or "Soon and very soon" or such would be an improvement from the weaker options. If the decider must program with an eye toward scriptural themes such as the Baptist or BVM, let that occur at the Offertory as the so-called "hymn of the day."
Regarding the notion of "propers," these extend well beyond the three processions, the gradual/psalm/tract, the alleluia and versicles, sequences and such. In practice, all texts that are orated such as collects, prefaces, blessings and such are proper to that calendar date. I'm sure I'm missing a few key points.
Old Nov 18, '12, 3:24 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Elizium23

The playing of musical instruments during Lent and Advent was limited since at least 1958 in the document De Musica Sacra. That instruction was reiterated in Paschalis Sollemnitatis, issued in 1988. "17. "In Lent, the altar should not be decorated with flowers, and musical instruments may be played only to give necessary support to the singing." [20] This is in order that the penitential character of the season be preserved." The same guideline probably applies to Advent as it did in the older document.

Now to me, this also means no preludes or postludes. However, these are outside the liturgy and some liturgists may argue that since they are not regulated, they are fair game. Perhaps ask your pastor to be sure. He is the liturgist with the final say.
Old Nov 18, '12, 3:42 pm

Thursday, November 22, 2012 - Thanksgiving Day - Year B

Processional Hymn: #212 - "Come, Ye Thankful People, Come" ST. GEORGE'S WINDSOR
Preparation of the Gifts: #618 - "For the Beauty of the Earth" DIX
Communion Hymn: #327 - "Gift of Finest Wheat" BICENTENNIAL
Recessional Hymn: #198 - "Now Thank We All Our God" NUN DANKET

Sunday, November 25, 2012 - The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe/Thirty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time-the last Sunday of the Liturgical Year B

Processional Hymn: #743 - "To Jesus Christ, Our Sovereign King" ICH GLAUB AN GOTT
Preparation of the Gifts: #750 - "Crown Him with Many Crowns" DIADEMATA
Communion Hymn: #337 - "Behold the Lamb" Willett
Recessional Hymn: #742 - "Rejoice, the Lord Is King" DARWALL'S 148TH
Old Nov 18, '12, 5:45 pm
Forum Elder

I am doing a lot of the same. I use Come Ye Thankful People as an entrance today. Also,

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory
At that First Eucharist
Precious Lord
Now Thank We All Our God.

For Next week,

The King of Glory
Crown Him With Many Crowns
O Sacrament Most Holy
The King of Love
To Jesus Christ our Sovreign King
Old Nov 18, '12, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
I am doing a lot of the same. I use Come Ye Thankful People as an entrance today. Also,

Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory
At that First Eucharist
Precious Lord
Now Thank We All Our God.

For Next week,

The King of Glory
O Sacrament Most Holy
The King of Love
To Jesus Christ our Sovreign King
Nice selections! I love using "Come, Ye Thankful People, Come" this time of year because of its references to autumn, winter, thanksgiving, and the end times. It's a perfect hymn for this time of year.
Old Nov 20, '12, 10:11 am

Saint Mary’s Parish, California
Order of Music-33rd Sunday, Ordinary Time-Nov.18, 2012

Introit: S “The Lord says: I ponder …” Simple English Propers/Adam Bartlett
Entrance: S GOD OF DAY AND GOD OF DARKNESS (Beach Spring)
E SAVE US O LORD Dufford

Opening Rites: S Kyrie (VIII)/Glory to God-St. Ralph Sherwin/Jeffrey Ostrowski
E Kyrie/Glory to God - -Mass of St. Ann/Ed Bolduc

Responsorial: SE Respond & Acclaim

Gospel Accl.: S plainsong “Alleluia”modeVI
E Alleluia (Sleeth)

Offertory: SE WITH THE LORD (Joncas)

Eucharistic Accl.:S Holy/MemAcc./Amen/Lamb of God-Mass of St. Therese/Royce Nickel
E Holy/Christ/ Amen/Lamb (Bolduc)

Communion Procession: SE “Amen, I say to you.…” Choral Communio/Richard.Rice
S WE WALK BY FAITH/IN TIMES OF TROUBLE Bridge/Jesu dulcis memoria
E UBI CARITAS Hurd

Communion Anthem: S PRAYER FOR MANKIND Robert Kreutz
E CHRIST BEFORE US Suo gan

Recessional: S JERUSALEM, MY HAPPY HOME Land of rest
E IN THE DAY OF THE LORD (Ridge)
Old Nov 20, '12, 3:07 pm

Sunday 25 November - Christ the Universal King - Mass and procession

Mass setting: Langlais Messe Solennelle
Introit: Dignus est Agnus
Processional hymns: At the Name of Jesus and Crown him with many Crowns
Offertory: Christ triumphant, ever reigning
Motet: Christus Vincit Worcester Chant
Communion: All Praise to thee for thou O King Divine and
Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour
Recessional: Lo! He comes with clouds descending
Old Nov 23, '12, 9:12 pm

Next weekend:

Sunday, December 2, 2012 - First Sunday of Advent - Year C

Processional Hymn: #44 - "Waiting in Silence" Landry
Preparation of the Gifts: #52 - "O Come, Divine Messiah" VENEZ, DIVIN MESSIE
Communion Hymn: #55 - "Christ, Circle Round Us" Schutte
Recessional Hymn: #62 - "The Advent of Our King" ST. THOMAS (WILLIAMS)

Here's some suggestions that I would have picked ideally:

Processional Hymn: #39 - "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" VENI, VENI, EMMANUEL
Preparation of the Gifts: #397 - "There Is a Longing" Quigley
Communion Hymn: #44 - "Waiting in Silence" Landry
Recessional Hymn: #52 - "O Come, Divine Messiah" VENEZ, DIVIN MESSIE
Old Nov 24, '12, 10:14 am
Trial Membership

For the end of the liturgical year we will play the following songs in order:
King of Glory
Seek Ye First
Unless a Grain of Wheat
My problem is figuring out whether or not the King of Glory is the one made by Tomlin or not. Isn't it traditional?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments