Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 11, '12, 1:18 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Multiverse/Many Worlds Theory and Free Will

I have a question....

How does the multiverse/many worlds theories co-exist with free will?

Isn't that the theory where alledgedly everytime we make a decision, a new universe is created with the replica of that person doing the exact opposite...?

so wouldn't that mean that those people wouldn't have free will because their actions are based on what we choose to do since they will have to do the opposite of what we do?...or possibly our actions are based on what they do since we have to do the opposite of what they do..

this theory is really scary!
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:06 am
Banned

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Multiverse/Many Worlds Theory and Free Will

No, it is really scary you can be this superstitious, and ignorant.

For your an example why the Catholic church came to start schools, the Universal church said that the people need to come out of darkness (word education means exit from darkness) and know thier is one God that is beyound our comprehesion Universities were started... but to not be of a superstitious nature as you biteon

maybe more so this is what Jesus ment by, away from me satan...

Maybe this is a good place to point out the ignorance to accpetance to evil in the US, that is so predominate.. History books written a hundred years ago, compared the Christian Churchs of Europe, to that of the Islamic religons of the other regions.
Christain religions have a huge "tolerance" to alcohol, gambleing(insurance), prostitution,
and civil evils. Islamic does not have a tolerance to such.
and for that Europe and Russia, has fallen into ruin, Russia addiction to alcohol today is common knowledge, gambling (insurance and borrowing of money) has ruined the US civilization, along with todays drug tollerance, prostitution, and excess living.)

So to quote the History books of the past, the US as a civilization is on the path to hell in minds of superstition as you represent and tollerance to evil.

stupid does, as stupid is....is the blunt reality. To follow Jesus on the other hand, is to shake off ignorance and superstition, that brings harmony, clarity, and intergrity to a civilization..
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:39 am
Book Club Member

I have never heard of the multiverse/manyworlds theory and I am a cradle Catholic who has a Master's in Education. This theory can't be that well respected otherwise I think it would me more well known. It definitely sounds counter-catholic and counter-scientific. I wouldn't waste my time with investigating it any further.
Jayla
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:40 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic...who won't apologize for being one

With an infinite number of universes, I guess there are infinite opportunities for another "you." Take "you" to mean anyone with you same genetic makeup and lifestyle. However, what you do doesn't affect them and vice versa. Don't think of a multi verse as "parallel dimensions" as seen in pop culture. Your choice is your own.
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:55 am

That "theory" makes the unsupportable assumption that there is such a real thing as a "decision", and that a decision has power to create. A "decision" as used in this circumstance is a completely arbitrary notion, and the notion that a complete universe is created due to my choosing Pepsi versus Coke is patently rediculous.
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:59 am

Religion: Catholic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Sinner View Post
I have a question....

Isn't that the theory where alledgedly everytime we make a decision, a new universe is created with the replica of that person doing the exact opposite...?

so wouldn't that mean that those people wouldn't have free will because their actions are based on what we choose to do since they will have to do the opposite of what we do?...or possibly our actions are based on what they do since we have to do the opposite of what they do..

Never heard of it.

Old Dec 11, '12, 5:13 am

Apparently thre are not so many science fiction fans here

The mutli-universe theory is completely unprovable but can be an interesting thought experiment. As long as we recognize that God is God of all possible universes, visible and invisible, I don't see the harm in speculating or a cause for fear as expressed by the OP. In fact I sometimes think that this might be an explanation for the power of prayer- that our prayers, through the providence of God, move us from one alternative universe to another. Only God could keep track of all those universes. Not a well developed thought but something to muse upon.

Live long and prosper!
Old Dec 11, '12, 5:23 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I have a question....

You are absolutely correct. That theory is incompatible with free will.

It is also a provably false theory: If every possible decision has its own universe, the number of universes in which people make entirely random nonsensical decisions would be extremely large. But we observe that people generally use reason when making decisions. We observe that people often exercise conscience and love of neighbor. The odds are exceedingly small that we just happen to be in that one universe where each decision merely seems to be based on free will and reason.
Old Dec 11, '12, 6:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Since the multiverse had its 15 minutes of fame in the physics community and has now gone the way of the dodo (and was kept alive in the popular sci-fi community for longer than that), there's no reason to try to reconcile anything with it.
Old Dec 11, '12, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
You are absolutely correct. That theory is incompatible with free will.

It is also a provably false theory: If every possible decision has its own universe, the number of universes in which people make entirely random nonsensical decisions would be extremely large. But we observe that people generally use reason when making decisions. We observe that people often exercise conscience and love of neighbor. The odds are exceedingly small that we just happen to be in that one universe where each decision merely seems to be based on free will and reason.

This.

Logic disproves this theory. It is a fun one to think about though, I will admit
Old Dec 11, '12, 7:19 am

Religion: A Professional Mathematician Just Trying to Follow Christ

FYI, here is a description of the many worlds theory from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Old Dec 11, '12, 7:40 am

It's actually known as the Everett many-worlds interpretation and it's one of many attempts to make sense of quantum mechanics.

It does away with problems like the meaning of wave function collapse and just goes with the math.

And it isn't about every time you make a decision, it's every time an electron (or other subatomic particle) has a chance to follow one probability or another.

I could say more, but I'll leave it at that. You now have a couple of sources in this thread from which to look at the Everett many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Old Dec 11, '12, 4:21 pm

I guess it's scary because what if our universe is one of the "fake" ones?...thus our actions are controlled by some other "real" universe (no free will for us)....so we would be an illusion along with God, the saints, Jesus, etc.
Old Dec 11, '12, 4:25 pm

Religion: Catholic .

Quote:
I guess it's scary because what if our universe is one of the "fake" ones?...thus our actions are controlled by some other "real" universe (no free will for us)....so we would be an illusion along with God, the saints, Jesus, etc.
I see you are Catholic. Do you trust Catholic teaching that God loves every person, and gives them the free will to reciprocate?
There is absolutely nothing to fear.
Old Dec 11, '12, 7:05 pm

Quote:
They are all equally real, none are fake.

There are many ways that people try to come to grips with quantum mechanics. Here is a book I own: The Infamous Boundary

It's been quite a while since I read that book, but the Everett many-worlds interpretation is only one interpretation of how quantum mechanics works.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy