Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 13, '12, 2:33 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic- ex Satanist
Default prayer of forgiveness for mortal sin

Lets say a person commits a mortal sin on a Wednesday. They won't have the opportunity to go to confession until Saturday. They resolve not to sin again and pray to God asking forgiveness for the mortal sin.
then they die the next day. Since they didn't make it to confession, will they go to hell? Or will they go to heaven since they asked forgiveness from God and made a sincere effort to repent?
Old Dec 13, '12, 4:03 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: prayer of forgiveness for mortal sin

This thread probably fits better in the "liturgy & sacraments" forum; maybe a moderator will move it there for us.

Anyway, the catechism tells us:
Quote:
1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.
So, if the person were to have perfect contrition, but die before he had recourse to the sacrament of reconciliation, the catechism seems to be telling us that he would have been forgiven of his mortal sin. The key here is the perfect contrition. To contrast that with imperfect contrition, though:
Quote:
1453 The contrition called "imperfect" (or "attrition") is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin's ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.
Hope this helps!
Old Dec 13, '12, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb472012 View Post
Lets say a person commits a mortal sin on a Wednesday. They won't have the opportunity to go to confession until Saturday. They resolve not to sin again and pray to God asking forgiveness for the mortal sin.
then they die the next day. Since they didn't make it to confession, will they go to hell? Or will they go to heaven since they asked forgiveness from God and made a sincere effort to repent?
Short answer: God alone knows. (And I mean that literally, not irreverently. )

Long answer: exactly what Gorgias said above. To which we might add that it would be our duty to pray for the soul of that person.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?" - Psalm 27: 1

Love, war and the four last things? King For A Day is now complete!
Old Dec 13, '12, 5:24 am

Express your contrition to God and ask Him to have mercy upon you if your should die before having the opportunity to go to confession. That's what I do anyway.
The bread I will give is my flesh for the life of the world (Jn 6:51).
Old Dec 13, '12, 6:04 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

This issue isnt being recongnized or anwered correctly, and challenge the issue.

aleination cannot be reasoned away, it must be healed!

To say that sin canbe reasoned away is not true, even the catechism says this is not true, or acceptable, but it must be healed. If you sin, you cant merely run into the confessional say your sins, and then be free, you must change and go make it right...

Making it right is going to call for a charity of heart, a reflection of heart, and also in sever issues make you a slave of the one that has been offended.

Reasoning o f sin away isnot acceptable, it must be healed, and a true sense to never again sin must be .
it a rarity, when people are truely sorry for their sins, and desire to never do the act again, and come to recognize they must make it right. and they come to recognize thier condoning of sin, and they come to then not only recoginze sin, but to then stand agaisnt sin.
till we come to stand agaisnt sin, then do we really come to call for ourselves to be really forgiven for ours, as we forgive others and call others to turn away from sin, by our true example

denial of sin, reasoning away, is not contrition. its a double standard.

What also, happened to the recognition of Pergatory?

Presumption of ones going to Heaven is a sin in itself, or have we reasoned that one away? Have we suddenly deemed ourselves to be worthy of God?
Old Dec 13, '12, 5:51 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Ignatius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb472012 View Post
then they die the next day
Actually, if I commit a Mortal sin, I get straight over to the Church and ask the priest to hear my confession. I don't delay.

If I have true contrition for my sins and I die before I can confess, I have every confidence that our All Merciful God will have mercy on me.
http://catholictruth.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-jBa...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Y1G...eature=channel

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture