Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 23, '12, 9:03 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert
Default Re: A date for the "Great Apostasy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOmNossor View Post

I do not remember being radically drawn to the theology just convinced that if God started a church in 1830 that was still around in 1997, I should be a member.
I found this to be an interesting comment you made. I converted to Catholicism from being Baptist b/c God started the Catholic Church on the day of Pentecost and it is still around in 2012.
Old Dec 24, '12, 4:46 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic n Catholic (pie is a convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltmom View Post
I found this to be an interesting comment you made. I converted to Catholicism from being Baptist b/c God started the Catholic Church on the day of Pentecost and it is still around in 2012.
St Ignatius put it into writing in 110AD so the church was even being called Catholic before then. He was a disciple of St. John...
"See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).
Also, there are a lot of "churches" that started in the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's... the fact that the Catholic Church has been around for 2000 years and has 1.2B members, Orthodox excluded...add another 200M+... is a great reason to be "convinced" as Tom says.
Old Dec 24, '12, 8:53 am

Religion: Catholic

Porknpie

Heard on EWTN Radio lately Christianity now largest religion in the world. That would encompass RCC, Orthodox, Prots. 2.2 + Billion & growing exponentially in tough, oppressed & persecuted areas: Africa, China etc. Not sure if sects are included. If Pew Research were accurate, they would leave out sects with non-christian doctrines & dogma. The faith explodes, historically and now, when the blood of the martyrs has laid the groundwork.

Funny, johnny come lately fabrications of a supposed "great apostasy" comes from mostly home-grown, man-made, opportunistic Americans. The say so from some self promoted "prophet" wanna-be's like Smith or White or Rutherford (& his take along phonographs). I really marvel at Rutherford's head stone!!! The power of the pyramid, huh?

Those who have devised their shaky renderings of Scripture & promoted their "truth" goes nowhere in the long run; if it were the "TRUTH', perhaps they would have spread like wild fire to all corners of the globe and been around since the beginning when it seemed after Our Lord died that all was lost. (The parable of the mustard seed). Have not most American sects been denied access or outlawed out of certain countries?
Old Dec 24, '12, 10:03 am

Regarding the burden of proof -- yes, Mormons bear the burden of proof for their claim of a Great Apostasy. But Catholics bear the burden of proof for our claim of an unbroken apostolic succession leading to our bishops today.

The Ignatius quote certainly puts to bed the Mormon urban legend that the word "Catholic" is a medieval coining. But it doesn't show that when Ignatius used the word "Catholic" that he was referring to the same institution that we belong to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepband Mom View Post
if it were the "TRUTH', perhaps they would have spread like wild fire to all corners of the globe
In fact, Mormons believe their religion is spreading like wildfire. And compared to where the church was a few decades ago, they're right. It wasn't that long ago that visiting a big eastern city, you might find a handful of Mormon families. Today, there are sizable and thriving Mormon communities throughout the east. Similar thing in Latin America.

Quote:
and been around since the beginning when it seemed after Our Lord died that all was lost.
From their point of view, it has in fact been around since the beginning. The priesthood authority was absent from the earth for a time, but it continued in heaven.

Quote:
Have not most American sects been denied access or outlawed out of certain countries?
Wasn't the Catholic Church denied access to and outlawed in Japan for 250 years?
Old Dec 24, '12, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNossor View Post
Ultimately, either the Catholic authority developed from a seed (originating with Christ and Peter) guided by God’s authority and some form of divine guidance OR the Apostolic authority did not promulgate beyond the early 2nd century. It is the necessity to choose one of these two options (and a few other things that are clear in my warped mind) that leads me to believe that one cannot be a Protestant (at least not a remotely conservative Protestant) “To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant.”
One could be a Protestant, there are a few restorationist communities. Also a question comes to mind: Why didn’t Christ just wait until the 19th century and be born in New York? Or why didn’t Christ establish the Mormon Church when he was walking among us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen168 View Post
How would it be possible for the Mormon Church to lose "authority?"
If the Church established by Christ can apostatize, then this question should be easy to answer.

Quote:
That being said, IF Mormon paradigm is accepted it is obvious that there was an apostasy. I have spent a lot of time in the past explaining that one idea or another embraced by the CoJCoLDS may be irrational when you plug it into Catholic presuppositions, but unmoored from aspects of Catholicism that I reject it ceases to be the howlingly ridiculous thing it is accused of being.

The LDS paradigm is that the leader of God's Church received supernatural public revelation for the guidance of His Church. Old Testament Prophets received this revelation. New Testament Apostles/Prophets received this revelation. And Restoration Testament Apostles/Prophet receive (claim to receive) this revelation. The Catholic Church does not claim that the Pope has the ability to receive supernatural public revelation (see Vatican I). This in the mind of a LDS is a STRONG indicator that Catholicism is not God's church on earth (at least not in the way that the CoJCoLDS is).
New Testament Apostles did not receive their own personal revelation, which is consistent with Chritianity never claiming to have a prophet who claims to receive revelation for the Church. The history of Mormon "apostles" also brings into to question their role as receivers of revelation. I also don't know of other restorationist communities, not associated with the latter-day-saint movement, that have "apostles" who claim to receive revelation for their communities.
I just don't see much historical support for the Mormon paradigm.
Old Dec 25, '12, 9:27 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Tom,

Thank you for your note....too much happening this Christmas season for me to respond as of yet.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, '12, 1:12 pm

Quote:
[
I do not remember being radically drawn to the theology just convinced that if God started a church in 1830 that was still around in 1997, I should be a member.
Really? Even the mainline Protestant communities are older than that. How could this factor in even over LDS theology?
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old Dec 25, '12, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
Really? Even the mainline Protestant communities are older than that. How could this factor in even over LDS theology?
No, he is saying that for him, attraction to a religion based on how tried (and true) it is, has no weight.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Dec 25, '12, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
No, he is saying that for him, attraction to a religion based on how tried (and true) it is, has no weight.
Oh, okay, I get it.
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old Dec 25, '12, 1:29 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic n Catholic (pie is a convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
Oh, okay, I get it.
I'm the slower one from Chicago. I don't get it from his words at all.
Old Dec 25, '12, 5:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

In fact, Mormons believe their religion is spreading like wildfire. And compared to where the church was a few decades ago, they're right. It wasn't that long ago that visiting a big eastern city, you might find a handful of Mormon families. Today, there are sizable and thriving Mormon communities throughout the east. Similar thing in Latin America.
Horatius - It is true it is spreading. However, it seems the numbers are not as large in the U.S. as the LDS church thought.

(edited for length)

OPINIONFebruary 2, 2012Mormon Numbers Not Adding Up Mormonism is no longer one of America’s fastest-growing faiths. What happened?By JOANNA BROOKS

But new data suggests that Mormonism may no longer be (as it is often described) among the fastest-growing faiths in the United States. Instead, American Mormons appear to be settling into the twenty-first century as a maturing minority having an increasingly hard time holding onto younger members.

Official LDS Church statistics for 2011 count 6,144,582 Mormons in the United States in 2011, comprising about 2% of the nation’s population. Church statistics also show a 30% membership increase between 1990 and 2008—a rate double general US population growth.

But recent studies tell a different story—different because whereas LDS Church records count anyone who has ever been baptized, demographers and pollsters count only those who currently identify themselves as Mormon. Those are the parameters for the landmark Trinity College American Religious Identification Survey: a two-decade project that has produced the largest and most accurate database of self-reported religious identification ever compiled, with 100,000 randomly sampled participants. According to Rick Phillips and Ryan Cragun, the authors of a study of Mormons based on ARIS data, self-identified adult Mormons make up not 2% but rather 1.4% of the adult US population—that’s about 4.4 million LDS adults.

Phillips and Cragun also place LDS growth rates not at 30% but at 16%—a rate on par with general US population growth. “Despite a large missionary force and a persistent emphasis on growth,” Phillips and Cragun write, “Mormons are actually treading water with respect to their per capita presence in the U.S.” In fact, additional studies by Cragun and Phillips show that retention rates of young people (young men especially) raised Mormon have dropped substantially in the last decade: from 92.6% in the 1970s–2000s to 64.4% from 2000–2010. Rising rates of disaffiliation go a long way towards explaining the gap between LDS Church records and the ARIS population estimates.
Old Dec 25, '12, 8:42 pm

Religion: Catholic convert

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1973 View Post
Mr Madison proffers that starting in 411 AD, until the fall of the Donatists in 570 AD, in which the Pope of Rome finally dominated the entire Christian Church. Mr. Madion quotes from The Times and Seasons( A Mormon magazine) "The Power and Priesthood after the Son of God... was taken from her in the year 570, and the church fell into the hands of the Pope of Rome (Times and Seasons, 1845)
So, from 570 AD until the era of the Mormons, "he Power and Priesthood after the Son of God" was lost? Come on...

Quote:
He also puts a quote he attributes to John Wesley from 1756:"What the Donatists were, I do not know. But I suspect they were the real Christians of that age."
Perhaps gnosticism or Arianism or one of the other sects were the true Christians of the age? All of these, including the Donatists, were heretical movements; check it out...

Quote:
Another thing of note, Mr. Madison offers that Peter, James, and John, were the so-called "First Presidency" of the early church, and that the church was established while Christ was still alive, and that James, not Peter, (James being the brother of our Lord) was the true Bishop of the Church.
A little proof would be helpful...Where is said church today, is what I would ask.
“I think of how by my sins I have added to the oppression in which Jesus suffered in the Garden. At that time Jesus saw all my sins, all my omissions, and He saw the place I should have occupied in Hell, if Thy Heart, oh Jesus, had not granted me forgiveness” –St Gemma
Old Dec 26, '12, 4:31 am

Jesus Himself self said He would build his Church upon the rock of Peter and the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Jesus describes the Kingdom of heaven as a seed that grows into a tree, leaven that spreads through dough. It is someone that starts small with His Apostles and grows throughout the world.

It is mentioned that many will fall away, particularly when there is the final showdown between good and evil, that ushers in the end of the world, but it never mentions a time when the Church does not exist.

What it comes down to is trusting that God DID build his house upon Peter and the gates of hades have not and will not prevail against it, or...

Trusting in a man who directly contradicts what Jesus Himself promised. That claims the gates of hades HAS prevailed against the Church and it has fallen into error. That claims that they themself received messages from heaven (with no witnesses) and have the authority to contradict the original deposit of faith.

So it comes down to trusting Jesus who is God with His 12 witnesses that testified to seeing His miracles with their own eyes, and testified they saw Jesus raised from the Dead, with 11 of these dying for their testimony.

Or Mohammed with no witnesses.

Or Joseph with his 11 witnesses who needed 'faith' to see the alleged gold plates, because although they were physical objects, their testimony involved having spiritual visions of them.
The bread I will give is my flesh for the life of the world (Jn 6:51).
Old Dec 26, '12, 6:54 am

Quote:
Perhaps gnosticism or Arianism or one of the other sects were the true Christians of the age? All of these, including the Donatists, were heretical movements; check it out...
BINGO. Read "Restoring the Ancient Church" By Barry Robert Bickmore. And Joseph Smith had Mosheim, which covered the heresies in depth. Much of Mormonism is a form of Gnosticism.
Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:28

http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/
Old Dec 26, '12, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd72 View Post
Or Joseph with his 11 witnesses who needed 'faith' to see the alleged gold plates, because although they were physical objects, their testimony involved having spiritual visions of them.
Just a note here. Only three of the eleven had a vision where an angel revealed the plates, and a heavenly event occurred. The other 8 had an opportunity of physical examination of the plates.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions