Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 25, '12, 8:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Ancient Aliens and the Vatican.

I just had to share this humorous observation. "Ancient Aliens" is a show on the History Channel advocating the idea that extra-terrestrials visited the earth in the past and were responsible for things like the building of the pyramids, etc. In an ad for an upcoming episode of the show, which is apparently concerned with the Vatican, the extravagantly coiffed host of the show asks the leading question "Is the Vatican hiding evidence of extra-terrestrial contact?"

The obvious answer is, "No, the Vatican is preaching the fact of 'extra-terrestrial' contact."
Old Dec 25, '12, 12:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Ancient Aliens and the Vatican.

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." Bl. John Paul the Great
Old Dec 25, '12, 1:34 pm

Religion: Hard-core Papist Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlabonte View Post
I just had to share this humorous observation. "Ancient Aliens" is a show on the History Channel advocating the idea that extra-terrestrials visited the earth in the past and were responsible for things like the building of the pyramids, etc. In an ad for an upcoming episode of the show, which is apparently concerned with the Vatican, the extravagantly coiffed host of the show asks the leading question "Is the Vatican hiding evidence of extra-terrestrial contact?"

The obvious answer is, "No, the Vatican is preaching the fact of 'extra-terrestrial' contact.
"
Oh puh-leeze. Ancient alien astronauts and Catholic church conspirators. Here we go again. The History Channel is known for making pseudo-documentaries from speculative alternate theories, and this is a prime example.

When I was a young teenager and newly confirmed I discovered a series of books, Chariots of the Gods (and numerous sequels) written by Erich von Daniken. Essentially, he claimed that every miracle performed by Jesus, and every marvel of the ancient world, could have been done by visiting aliens using Star Trek technology: phasers, the teleporter, the tricorder, antibiotics... I was a big Star Trek fan and these ideas really shook me up.

Even though von Daniken was quickly proven to be a fraud who fabricated, misstated and exaggerated his so-called proofs, the spiritual damage was done.

Eventually I realized that even ancient astronauts with fancy technology could not have created themselves nor the universe in which we all lived. That was the beginning of my return to faith.

Are there other planets that could contain intelligent life? I'd think the odds rather favor it. Could they cross the vast expanses of the universe and drop in on us? Maybe, but highly unlikely, given that the laws of physics pretty much rule out faster-than-light travel. I still love stories like Star Trek and Star Wars and Avatar as much as anyone, where people travel back and forth across the universe and still return home to family alive on earth.

But I'm well past ever again falling for conspiracy theory junk science like this History Channel program.
Old Dec 25, '12, 2:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Wow, the History Channel is ironically the most historically inaccurate channel out there. I loved it when they had marathons of UFO sightings and such, pretty sure they had a Doomsday marathon the other day.
Old Dec 25, '12, 2:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female

I have watched previous episodes of Ancient Aliens and there is a lot of speculation and no evidence or proof

Somebody said in an episode that aliens helped Noah to create a DNA bank of all life on Earth
Old Dec 25, '12, 2:31 pm

Religion: catholic

Ancient Aliens is always good for a laugh. To much 'charry-picking' of facts to be the truth.
Old Dec 25, '12, 2:48 pm

Well, that would explain why they're called the "SECRET Archives!" Probably a direct pipeline to Area 51.
Old Dec 25, '12, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpeian Rock View Post
Well, that would explain why they're called the "SECRET Archives!" Probably a direct pipeline to Area 51.
You and I both know that area 51 isn't real! The real archives are all kept in the center of the earth anyway, everyone knows that.
Old Dec 25, '12, 3:22 pm

Religion: Catholic loyal to the Pope, don't even try to change me!

According to this charlatan Erich von Daniken ancient aliens must have helped the Egyptians build pyramids etc etc.
Strange that the aliens forgot to give the Egyptians something really useful,
like an alphabet.
That's the first thing I'd do.

Empress Theresa is what some people would consider impossible, a book about a good girl, with no sex, foul language, or violence, but still giving the reader an action-filled fascinating story.

The paperback is now on Amazon.com
Norman
Old Dec 25, '12, 4:06 pm

Religion: Unitarian

The "History" channel used to be fantastic. Now its "reality" TV, 3 fat guys buying and selling junk with scripted drama (will Chumly say something stupid, YAWN!). Or weird alien shows or doomsday shows. The "history"channel and net geo were the reason I had cable. Almost everything else was for morons. Unfortunately, the history channel and net geo went moron to get higher ratings.
Question, there are at least 72 channels. Suppose one channel was intelligent. That would mean that the other 71 channels would have to compete for the much larger pie (the moron viewers). However, that one intelligent channel would own the entire intelligent viewer pie.
Is it really true that there are 72 times more morons then intelligent Americans? Sometimes I think they are purposely dumbing us down. But that is too conspiratorial. So I guess the ratio of intelligent Americans to morons is 1:72!!!!
Seriously, I once watched 2 minutes of "Jersy Shore". "Gilligan's Island" was far more sophisticated and the characters more intelligent!
PS: I am using a tablet so please forgive my big fat fingers and numerous grammatical errors!
Old Dec 25, '12, 4:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to TeenageConvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan S View Post
Oh puh-leeze. Ancient alien astronauts and Catholic church conspirators. Here we go again. The History Channel is known for making pseudo-documentaries from speculative alternate theories, and this is a prime example.

When I was a young teenager and newly confirmed I discovered a series of books, Chariots of the Gods (and numerous sequels) written by Erich von Daniken. Essentially, he claimed that every miracle performed by Jesus, and every marvel of the ancient world, could have been done by visiting aliens using Star Trek technology: phasers, the teleporter, the tricorder, antibiotics... I was a big Star Trek fan and these ideas really shook me up.

Even though von Daniken was quickly proven to be a fraud who fabricated, misstated and exaggerated his so-called proofs, the spiritual damage was done.

Eventually I realized that even ancient astronauts with fancy technology could not have created themselves nor the universe in which we all lived. That was the beginning of my return to faith.

Are there other planets that could contain intelligent life? I'd think the odds rather favor it. Could they cross the vast expanses of the universe and drop in on us? Maybe, but highly unlikely, given that the laws of physics pretty much rule out faster-than-light travel. I still love stories like Star Trek and Star Wars and Avatar as much as anyone, where people travel back and forth across the universe and still return home to family alive on earth.

But I'm well past ever again falling for conspiracy theory junk science like this History Channel program.
That guy appears on the show quite often, actually. My friends and I watch it all the time for a good laugh, these people are really out there.

"There are two kinds of men, the rightious who sees himself as a sinner, and the sinner, who sees himself as rightious"

Bless the Lord, O my soul!

"And may the odds, be ever in your favor!"
Old Dec 25, '12, 5:36 pm

Religion: Catholic loyal to the Pope, don't even try to change me!

Quote:
Are there other planets that could contain intelligent life? I'd think the odds rather favor it. Could they cross the vast expanses of the universe and drop in on us? Maybe, but highly unlikely, given that the laws of physics pretty much rule out faster-than-light travel.
A Scientific American article I read many years ago estimated the fastest possible spaceship.
The problem with high speed space travel is that if your ship hits some piece of space debris it will be destroyed. Therefore, you need to see these pieces of space debris ahead of time and destroy them with a laser beam or something. Right away you can see that no spaceship could travel more than fifty percent the speed of light.

Actually, because of practical considerations, such as pieces of the blasted debris still being in the way and having to be lasered again, the ultimate top speed for any civilization no matter high advanced would be no more than ten percent the speed of light.

For the human race in the foreseeable future, five percent light speed is the likely limit.

So the chances of being visited by aliens is just about zero.

Also,
consider that civilizations are separated from each other not only by distance but by time.
There may have been a hundred civilizations fairly close to us, but if they existed five billion years ago we would never find a trace of them.

Empress Theresa is what some people would consider impossible, a book about a good girl, with no sex, foul language, or violence, but still giving the reader an action-filled fascinating story.

The paperback is now on Amazon.com
Norman
Old Dec 25, '12, 5:42 pm

I live next to Hanger 18 outside Dayton Ohio.
Old Dec 26, '12, 9:33 am

Dude! The Catholic Church has been in on the conspiracy since the beginning. It knows ALL about the UFOs! Check it out!

This looks like something out of the film "Independence Day" or "V"!

Our Lord even owned a helicopter!

Just kidding, of course. There is a whole school of UFO buffs who claim to have found depictions of UFOs in religious paintings. They are actually iconographic interpretations of religious concepts that were common at the time, or taken out of context by cropping. There is a website by an art historian with an in-depth examination and debunking of the UFO claims (unfortunately, not all the pages have been translated from Italian, but some are. It's a pretty interesting site: http://www.sprezzatura.it/Arte/Arte_UFO_eng.htm). There is also a good book on the subject, "Out of Place in Time and Space" by Lamont Wood that examines these and other supposed anomalies.

The last picture is kind of puzzling, however. It is a 1460 painting by an unknown local artist of Mary and the Christ child with St. Benedict, in the Musee de Tesse in Le Mans, France. Jesus is shown holding what seems to be a pull-string toy helicopter, long before any such toys were known or before Leonardo da Vinci sketched the idea of a helicopter (Leonardo was 8 years old when the painting was made). It may be a whirligig, or pinwheel, that was sometimes included in religious paintings as a way to introduce another cross motif. This painting is evidence that some toy-maker realized you could power a pinwheel not only with the wind, but also by a pull-string that would let it fly a short distance.
Old Dec 26, '12, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlabonte View Post

The obvious answer is, "No, the Vatican is preaching the fact of 'extra-terrestrial' contact."
More like 'extra-cosmic' since God is outside the created universe.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media