Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 23, '12, 12:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to WoundedIcon
Default Is It Alright To Pray In Tongues To A Saint?

I always saw it as something between God and me, so I'm wondering if I can ask Mary and the saints to pray for me in tongues. I figure, sinful as I am and holy as they are, using a precise prayer method like tongues to ask for the saints' intercession would be handy.
Old Dec 23, '12, 12:33 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is It Alright To Pray In Tongues To A Saint?

What do you mean in tongues because I'm not sure it means what you think it means.
Old Dec 23, '12, 3:41 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedIcon View Post
I always saw it as something between God and me, so I'm wondering if I can ask Mary and the saints to pray for me in tongues. I figure, sinful as I am and holy as they are, using a precise prayer method like tongues to ask for the saints' intercession would be handy.
Just make sure it's actually the Holy Spirit speaking through you in tongues, and not just you yourself speaking gibberish.
Old Dec 23, '12, 3:57 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
As you know, praying in tongues means that you yield to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit, in turn, uses your speech mechanisms to form the sounds of your prayer. By the way, you can pray in tongues quietly without sound.

Praying in tongues can be done for a variety of reasons. Years ago, I would minister to the sick and dying. I would pray in tongues quickly before entering the room of a hospital patient. I did this because I had no clue as to what I would find or what I should do to help this patient. So I yielded to the Holy Spirit.

In a way, praying in tongues is a precise prayer method because we yield to the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to pray in our place. In another way, praying in tongues can cover just about anything, like my hospital visits and of course giving praise to God. I often say that praying in tongues is a lot better than road rage.

Frankly, I am not sure about praying in tongues to Mary or a Saint. So I suggest talking directly to the Holy Spirit about this idea. Share with Him that you would like to pray the best prayer possible to Mary and Saints because you need their intercession.

I cannot speak for the Holy Spirit, but my guess is that you should pray the Rosary, at least part of it, to Mary and the Saints. This reminds me of another use for prayer tongues. Sometimes, people who use meditation in some form will pray a short prayer in tongues as a preparation.

Perhaps, all you can do is to pray one decade of the Rosary. Use your prayer tongues as an introduction to this decade. Ask the Holy Spirit to pray in your place for the grace to do the best possible job with the Rosary. When I was in a Catholic charismatic prayer group, I would praise God in both prayer tongues and English. You could do this also with the Rosary and prayer tongues.

Praying is tongues is absolutely handy. That I know for sure. I do not know how to directly answer your question. My last suggestion is that when you yield to the Holy Spirit, you might ask Him to direct your prayer tongues according to His will.

One of the things which I find important about praying in tongues is that I have to be very humble in order to let the Holy Spirit take over. It is also good to go to Mary and the Saints for help and this takes humility. Sinful as we are, honest humility is important in every kind of prayer.

Blessings for your Christmas,
granny

“The shepherds sing; and shall I silent be?”
from the poem "Christmas" by George Herbert

Old Dec 24, '12, 5:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Speaking in tongues the way people mean now is simply gibberish.
I do not believe anyone who tells me they speak in tongues for real.
They are faking it.
Old Dec 24, '12, 8:07 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
They are faking it.

For the sake of those who are interested in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal within the Catholic Church, may I gently point out that the OP is talking about praying in Tongues which is basically personal between the person and God. In post 4, I did not have a real direct answer to the OP question; however, I thought it was important to demonstrate how praying in Tongues can be used, hoping it might inspire an answer.

I do hope that people caught on to the fact that praying in Tongues is not always part of some kind of group meeting.

Thistle, I trust that you will understand that I am only presenting information and it is not intended to oppose your position. I do this because in the Catholic Church there is a difference between praying in Tongues to God and speaking in Tongues to the community. In fact, from some of the CAF posts I read when I first landed on CAF, I am sure that in some circles there is faking due to the fault of pride.
Old Dec 25, '12, 7:19 am

See here's how I see it. There's two ways to speak in tongues as far as I was given to understand.

1) the spirit moves you to say something really cool and spiritually inspiring

2) you are given the ability to transcend language barriers for a time and people just seem to understand you.

Anything else is not real as far as I know. God moves with purpose, speaking gibberish or making sounds doesn't help anybody. How do they tell? Now people seeing an apperisition have been reported to enter a state doctors call extascy but those people's till spoke if only in hissing whispers.

I personally experienced both when I was teaching my best friend about the church and the other when visiting an old German lady when I was 6. For some reason she understood me an d I her. I thought she was speaking English but I found out later from her daughter she only knows German. I remember this vividly because of how happy she was to have someone listen to her stories about the war. How her son was fighting in Africa and the letters he sent back mostly talking about the leaf cutter ants because he clearly didn't want to talk about the fighting.

What good honestly is making noises to God? He already knows what you mean inspiring you to grunt and mutter is hardly productive.

Just seems rather unevolved of us.
Old Dec 25, '12, 7:44 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithrus View Post
See here's how I see it. There's two ways to speak in tongues as far as I was given to understand.

1) the spirit moves you to say something really cool and spiritually inspiring

2) you are given the ability to transcend language barriers for a time and people just seem to understand you.

Anything else is not real as far as I know. God moves with purpose, speaking gibberish or making sounds doesn't help anybody. How do they tell? Now people seeing an apperisition have been reported to enter a state doctors call extascy but those people's till spoke if only in hissing whispers.

I personally experienced both when I was teaching my best friend about the church and the other when visiting an old German lady when I was 6. For some reason she understood me an d I her. I thought she was speaking English but I found out later from her daughter she only knows German. I remember this vividly because of how happy she was to have someone listen to her stories about the war. How her son was fighting in Africa and the letters he sent back mostly talking about the leaf cutter ants because he clearly didn't want to talk about the fighting.

What good honestly is making noises to God? He already knows what you mean inspiring you to grunt and mutter is hardly productive.

Just seems rather unevolved of us.
Thank you. With respect to the OP's question, I will wait for her or his comments before describing two more ways the gift of Tongues may be used.
Old Dec 25, '12, 9:20 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to WoundedIcon

I have to respectfully reject your views Kithrus. Unless you think the last few popes suspect, they know very well what the basics of the Charismatic Movement are, and have given them their approval. And my tongues aren't of the ecstatic ROBOBOBOBOBABA type anyways. They sound like a language and are fully under my control. Whether they're a human language remains to be seen, because if they are I've never heard it before (although the fact that angels are pure intellect makes it stand to reason that there is an angelic language, so who knows.)

And doesn't Paul make it pretty clear that there are tongues the person praying and others hearing can't understand? Hence his admonishment that we keep them to ourselves if there's no interpretation available?
Old Jan 1, '13, 7:31 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I have to respectfully reject your views Kithrus. Unless you think the last few popes suspect, they know very well what the basics of the Charismatic Movement are, and have given them their approval. And my tongues aren't of the ecstatic ROBOBOBOBOBABA type anyways. They sound like a language and are fully under my control. Whether they're a human language remains to be seen, because if they are I've never heard it before (although the fact that angels are pure intellect makes it stand to reason that there is an angelic language, so who knows.)

And doesn't Paul make it pretty clear that there are tongues the person praying and others hearing can't understand? Hence his admonishment that we keep them to ourselves if there's no interpretation available?
If you claim to speak in tongues then why not submit to the Church to see if it is genuine or not. Anyone can make a claim and that does not make it true.
Old Jan 1, '13, 7:34 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
They are faking it.
ofcourse its fake. God does not take posession of anyone. if i were the OP i would be wary of all these charismatic cults. it can open the door to demons. the path to God is through self conquest not losing self control.
Old Jan 1, '13, 8:15 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you claim to speak in tongues then why not submit to the Church to see if it is genuine or not. Anyone can make a claim and that does not make it true.
As I have often pointed out, there are two distinct gifts of the Holy Spirit which, according to St. Paul, employ the use of Tongues.

One gift is private prayer, which like your private prayers does not have to be submitted to the Church. Do you submit your private prayers to the Church to see if they are genuine or not?

The second gift, which is often used in a community setting, is one of the nine classical gifts listed by St. Paul. This gift is not to be taken lightly; therefore, most of the time, the message which is given by the Interpreter of this unique gift, is submitted to designated Catholics mature in their faith for discernment using basically the same principles which the "Church" uses.

When I say most of the time, there are times when this second gift is used in more private circumstances such as right before a Church-type function or as part of a committee's preparation for some type of Church project. In these instances, the participants are mature in their Catholic faith and are used to testing the spirits.
Old Jan 1, '13, 8:28 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

From what you say, your understanding of praying in Tongues is in accord with what is known about the common gift of praying in Tongues. Actually, part of St. Paul's admonishment refers to the classical gift of speaking in Tongues which is different from the common gift of praying in Tongues. He goes back and forth between these two gifts because the Corinthians know all about them and consequently have let abuses creep in.
Old Jan 1, '13, 8:49 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:

no no no. you have to understand that is just you speaking, its all you. trust me you are very much controlling your speech. and if you are not, id be worried. God doesnt do that. he doesnt have any need or desire you to speak gibberish. if you continue on this path it can morph into OCD or at the worst you could open the door to the demonic. why not just pray using the english language?? you just think its "cool" to pray like that and you think that God thinks its cool too, but i dont think hes impressed frankly speaking, hed rather have you pray he rosary than start speaking gibberish.
by the way angels communicate purely by exchanging information, they dont have material bodies. they dont produce sounds or symbols to communicate. thus i can assure you, you are NOT speaking any "angelic" language. its just your own mind.
Old Jan 1, '13, 10:32 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannymh View Post
As I have often pointed out, there are two distinct gifts of the Holy Spirit which, according to St. Paul, employ the use of Tongues.

One gift is private prayer, which like your private prayers does not have to be submitted to the Church. Do you submit your private prayers to the Church to see if they are genuine or not?

The second gift, which is often used in a community setting, is one of the nine classical gifts listed by St. Paul. This gift is not to be taken lightly; therefore, most of the time, the message which is given by the Interpreter of this unique gift, is submitted to designated Catholics mature in their faith for discernment using basically the same principles which the "Church" uses.

When I say most of the time, there are times when this second gift is used in more private circumstances such as right before a Church-type function or as part of a committee's preparation for some type of Church project. In these instances, the participants are mature in their Catholic faith and are used to testing the spirits.
Anyone who claims in PUBLIC (i.e. here) to speak in tongues is simply talking hot air if they have not and are not prepared to submit to the Church for discernment.
All gibberish tongues are FAKE.
The tongues in the Bible means foreign (but real) languages that the person did not know before and the interpreter is simply a person who can translate that real language.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality