Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 7, '13, 11:54 am

Religion: catholic
Cool Is the "real presence" of Jesus in the people of the Church?

Someone cited Eucharisticum Mysterium(7) "For 'the partaking of the Body and Blood of Christ has no less an effect than to change us into what we have received'.", as proof that Jesus' presence in the eucharist is the same as his presence in people of the church. What is the correct interpretation of this quote and how does this line up with Mysterium Fidei(35-39).
Old Jan 7, '13, 12:04 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic
Default Re: Is the "real presence" of Jesus in the people of the Church?

Not in the same way. Jesus is only present substantially, that is, in substance, in the Eucharist.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Jan 7, '13, 1:55 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTradCath View Post
Not in the same way. Jesus is only present substantially, that is, in substance, in the Eucharist.
Yes. If the Eucharist is present in the tabernacle and there is absolutely no one there, Christ is still present.
Old Jan 7, '13, 2:07 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Presence and Reality=Real Presence

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Jan 7, '13, 2:24 pm

I was once told, "because we are baptized and received the Holy Spirit, God is within us. We are living breathing tabernacles."

This seems like a very poetic statement but I don't think it fits in with our Catholic theology. What do you think?

This is not meant as a derailment but I thought that this was very similar to what the OP asked.
Old Jan 7, '13, 2:26 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmuestwin View Post
I was once told, "because we are baptized and received the Holy Spirit, God is within us. We are living breathing tabernacles."

This seems like a very poetic statement but I don't think it fits in with our Catholic theology. What do you think?

This is not meant as a derailment but I thought that this was very similar to what the OP asked.
God IS within us, but not in the same sense as a tabernacle. The tabernacle literally has Jesus in it, we do not, unless we have just received the Eucharist.
Old Jan 7, '13, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Yes. If the Eucharist is present in the tabernacle and there is absolutely no one there, Christ is still present.
Is Jesus, the 2nd person of the Trinity, limited to being present in a person or in a church/room/place only through the Eucharist?

I would think that God can be present anywhere/s anytime.
Old Jan 14, '13, 4:52 pm
Trial Membership

Jesus Christ IS present in the people of the Church--in the Eucharistic celebration.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) no. 27, quoting Sacrosanctum Concilium no. 7 states the four presence of Christ in the Eucharist:

27. In the Mass, or the Lord’s Supper, the People of God is called together, with a priest presiding and acting in the person of Christ, to celebrate the memorial of the Lord, the Eucharistic Sacrifice.For this reason Christ’s promise applies in an outstanding way to such a local gathering of the holy Church: ‘Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst’ (Mt 18:20).For in the celebration of Mass, in which the Sacrifice of the Cross is perpetuated, Christ is really present in the very liturgical assembly gathered in his name, in the person of the minister, in his word, and indeed substantially and continuously under the Eucharistic species.
Old Jan 14, '13, 4:57 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbopski View Post
Jesus Christ IS present in the people of the Church--in the Eucharistic celebration.

The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) no. 27, quoting Sacrosanctum Concilium no. 7 states the four presence of Christ in the Eucharist:

27. In the Mass, or the Lord’s Supper, the People of God is called together, with a priest presiding and acting in the person of Christ, to celebrate the memorial of the Lord, the Eucharistic Sacrifice.For this reason Christ’s promise applies in an outstanding way to such a local gathering of the holy Church: ‘Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst’ (Mt 18:20).For in the celebration of Mass, in which the Sacrifice of the Cross is perpetuated, Christ is really present in the very liturgical assembly gathered in his name, in the person of the minister, in his word, and indeed substantially and continuously under the Eucharistic species.
He is, yes. However, not in the same way. We might say that He is spiritually present in us, but his very substance and being is present in the Eucharist.

Deference to tradition should be taken for granted.
Devoted bibliophile.
Old Jan 14, '13, 7:29 pm

Religion: Catholic .

From St Augustine sermon 227

Quote:
You ought to know what you have received, what you are about to receive, what you ought to receive every day. That bread which you can see on the altar, sanctified by the word of God, is the body of Christ.†2 That cup, or rather what the cup contains, sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ. It was by means of these things that the Lord Christ wished to present us with his body and blood, which he shed for our sake for the forgiveness of sins. If you receive them well, you are yourselves what you receive. You see, the apostle says, We, being many, are one loaf, one body (1 Cor 10:17). That's how he explained the sacrament of the Lord's table; one loaf, one body, is what we all are, many though we be.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments