Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 15, '13, 12:01 pm

Religion: Conversion in progress
Default Re: why communion rails matter

Although i am unable to partake of the Holy Eucharist at this time, when the time does come i hope there wont be any issue with me kneeling (i havent seen anyone at our church do so) and i dont think my hands would be worthy to handle the body of Christ.
So, i am for kneeling and receiving on the tongue.
Old Jan 15, '13, 12:04 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee burk View Post
Although i am unable to partake of the Holy Eucharist at this time, when the time does come i hope there wont be any issue with me kneeling (i havent seen anyone at our church do so) and i dont think my hands would be worthy to handle the body of Christ.
So, i am for kneeling and receiving on the tongue.
Go ahead and do it. I have often seen people kneel for communion in an OF mass.
Old Jan 15, '13, 2:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by datritle View Post
I stumbled across this excellent article about why communion rails and receiving on the tongue need to come back. (into the OF)...they are clearly still in the EF Mass...

Communion Rails
Perhaps you may consider listening to this video from an archbishop that was aired on EWTN some time ago.
http://www.gloria.tv/?media=260664
Old Jan 15, '13, 5:09 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=datritle;10244169]I stumbled across this excellent article about why communion rails and receiving on the tongue need to come back. (into the OF)...they are clearly still in the EF Mass...

Communion Rails
Both are practiced by our Pope and as far as I KNOW; this continues to be the worldwide norm for the Roman Catholic Chuch. Amen

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Jan 15, '13, 5:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

I kneel to receive communion on the tongue at our company's first friday OF mass. Everytime. We would always setup a kneeler in front. Since I'm also the altar server, our priest would also ask me to help him consume the left-over hosts, receiving them on the hand, since our chapel doesn't have the capacity to reserve. Weird isn't it?

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Fratres, orare pro me peccatore.
Old Jan 15, '13, 5:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Both are practiced by our Pope and as far as I KNOW; this continues to be the worldwide norm for the Roman Catholic Chuch. Amen
My understanding is that if your in Rome at the Vatican and privileged to be chosen to receive Holy Communion from the Pope exclusively you will be asked to receive by tongue only. Former Pope John Paul II has been physically seen correcting some communicants trying to receive by custom of hands.
Old Jan 15, '13, 8:05 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo View Post
Yes it is true that certain breads can be allergic to some people. The Orthodox priest at my parish must use a different type of bread when celebrating because some people including his wife is allergic to certain enzymes in certain breads. If you have a problem with certain breads then talk it over with your priest. There my be a bread you are not allergic to and once that is found out he will use it to celebrate it for your need.
I did talk to him. He said that some breads still give people allergic reactions so he just gives me the wine, no matter what day it is. If I went to another visiting parish, I'd probably have to find the celebrating priest before mass to see what he would do, but the only time I went to another parish it was a mission, and they give out wine automatically.
Old Jan 15, '13, 8:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by datritle View Post
I stumbled across this excellent article about why communion rails and receiving on the tongue need to come back. (into the OF)...they are clearly still in the EF Mass...

Communion Rails
Thanks for posting! Excellent.
Old Jan 16, '13, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Mae View Post
I moved around the country quite a bit in the last decade and found this is not true. It was true in my home Archdiocese, but as I l moved I found almost all parishes only offer the Eucharist under one species. I think this is the norm in the majority of Parishes.
This is my experience as well. My home parish, Lehigh Valley area of PA, never offers both. I travel quite a bit for work, at least up and down the east coast, and frankly, I have only been offered the cup once; Williamsburg Virginia actually.

I think it is more common to receive under one species than many on this site are aware of as I have read this before.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss
Old Jan 16, '13, 7:21 am
Banned

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdglArchitect View Post
Really? I've never been to a parish that didn't off both species.... huh... I guess it's geographical.
The reason it is only offered under ONE species is most places is due to an error that cropped up during the protestant reformation. This was the belief that you were not receiving as much "jesus" or the whole sacrament unless you received under both species. To counter this error the precious blood was not routinely given unless a person had a physical ailment that precluded them from receiving the precious body.

The indult to distribute under both kinds in the United States expired over a decade ago. It is still done in many places in defiance or ignorance of the expiration of the indult. Today the precious blood is only to be distributed under rare and unique circumstances. You should NOT see it at every Sunday Mass. If you do see it every week, then know that it is an abuse and not the norm.

Your Bishop is allowed to set when this is allowed in his Diocese. If you want to see a good explanation of this, Bishop Morlino of the Diocese of Madison sent a good letter to his Priest's which you may read here: http://www.madisondiocese.org/Portal...20-%202%20.pdf

Fr. Z. further expanded on this topic on his blog here: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/10/commu...o-his-priests/
Old Jan 19, '13, 4:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite (Convert, 2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon1234 View Post
The indult to distribute under both kinds in the United States expired over a decade ago. It is still done in many places in defiance or ignorance of the expiration of the indult. Today the precious blood is only to be distributed under rare and unique circumstances. You should NOT see it at every Sunday Mass. If you do see it every week, then know that it is an abuse and not the norm.

Your Bishop is allowed to set when this is allowed in his Diocese.
No disrespect intended towards Bishop Morlino, but could you provide a direct citation from Church teachings? What you say is really quite a claim that I've never heard before.

I generally "post and run." Please, don't take it personally!
Old Jan 19, '13, 5:34 pm

Send a message via ICQ to Oneofthewomen

I did not read the link, but it seems to me that many in "traddom" believe that re-installing the altar rail, and celebration of Mass "ad Orientium" are the two things I most see people advocating for as a means to instill reverence.

Well, from my perspective, which I freely admit is probably not the "norm", both things remind me more of the Episcopalian liturgy that I spent many years attending.
Actually, growing up in the 70's & 80's, I never saw anyone receive communion at an altar rail unless I was at my grandparent's Episcopalian church. Same thing for "ad orientum", the only difference there was that the "priest" was a woman!

I was not until I met my husband that I ever attended a Catholic church where communion was recieved kneeling at the rail, ant the priest celebrated Mass "ad orientum" and with some parts in Latin (yes, it was the OF). He & his family belonged to what, at the time, was considered the most "conservative" parish in the diocese. It has since closed, and the only altar rail that I know of that is still in use, is the one in the parish that is the home to our Latin Mass (which we have had, approved by our Bishop, since the early 1990's).

We both fell away from the Church for a long time, and I became involved with a group that ended up "breaking away" from the Church, then after they got too weird, I ended up back at the Episcopalian church. I ended up realizing that, in my heart I was "Catholic" and I "came home" about 8 years ago. And still today, I consider communion at the rail & ad orientum to be "not Catholic". I know that they are, and I know that they are both long-standing traditions of our Church, but that is just not my experience, and sometimes, it still makes me very uncomfortable.

DISCLAIMER: I only share this as a different perspective, no "agenda" intended.

Musings From One of the Women
Old Jan 19, '13, 5:39 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Really? I've never been to a parish that didn't off both species.... huh... I guess it's geographical.
I have the opposite experience. I have been to Mass in many countries and the only place I have experienced Communion with both species was actually in my home country - Scotland.
I have lived in Asia since 1988 and have never seen both species.
Old Jan 19, '13, 6:16 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
Neither have I. I've been to Mass in two states (Southern US) and have always seen both species offered. I do have to qualify that b/c I found out a couple of weeks ago that the Precious Blood is not offered at our 5PM Sunday Mass. I'm not sure about the 7AM weekday Mass.
Old Jan 20, '13, 3:34 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon1234 View Post
The reason it is only offered under ONE species is most places is due to an error that cropped up during the protestant reformation. This was the belief that you were not receiving as much "jesus" or the whole sacrament unless you received under both species. To counter this error the precious blood was not routinely given unless a person had a physical ailment that precluded them from receiving the precious body.

Your Bishop is allowed to set when this is allowed in his Diocese. If you want to see a good explanation of this, Bishop Morlino of the Diocese of Madison sent a good letter to his Priest's which you may read here: http://www.madisondiocese.org/Portal...20-%202%20.pdf

Fr. Z. further expanded on this topic on his blog here: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/10/commu...o-his-priests/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism